IGNORED

What HARDWARE ITEM (that does not yet exist) would you like to see in 2017?

Omega-TI

I dunno, the price seems kind of high to me, of course I'm thrifty or cheap depending on your definition. ;)

gallery_35324_1027_23642.jpg

I'd much rather see a new device designed and built by someone in the TI community that can work with UberCarts.

I understand your pain about price, but unless we're just wanting something new, it would be pricier to design and build a new one. Just saying.

• Like 1

I understand your pain about price, but unless we're just wanting something new, it would be pricier to design and build a new one. Just saying.

Yes, I totally agree, a new design would probably cost more, but if it actually worked with the UberGROM boards it would be well worth it to me. A better physical design could probably be developed as well and with 3D printer technology many new possibilities exist.

I also enjoy seeing programmers and hardware guys enjoy their hobby by developing new toys for all us to play with and enjoy too. It seems like a win-win all the way around.

Actually, it would be relatively easy to make new cartridge expanders. Bare boards with rubber feet underneath, a three position switch, and three connectors. It would probably be doable for about $30, if I had a line on enough connectors for a reasonable price (I know one source with at least 300 of them so that may be covered). The ones I bought this morning were less than $1.50 each, shipped, so there are some reasonable prices out there. . .I may have to verify with Tursi again which lines have to be cut to completely claw each UberGROM out when the switch is thrown.

• Like 2

Actually, it would be relatively easy to make new cartridge expanders. Bare boards with rubber feet underneath, a three position switch, and three connectors. It would probably be doable for about $30, if I had a line on enough connectors for a reasonable price (I know one source with at least 300 of them so that may be covered). The ones I bought this morning were less than $1.50 each, shipped, so there are some reasonable prices out there. . .I may have to verify with Tursi again which lines have to be cut to completely claw each UberGROM out when the switch is thrown.

I'll take 2. :D

• Like 2

ROM Select and GROM Select should be enough. The problem with the Navarone Widget is it did NOT cut GROM Select. For some reason for the GROMs it cut the -5v, which the UberGROM doesn't use.

• Like 1

ROM Select and GROM Select should be enough. The problem with the Navarone Widget is it did NOT cut GROM Select. For some reason for the GROMs it cut the -5v, which the UberGROM doesn't use.

Just out of curiosity. What kind of switch would you need to switch 2 different circuits at the same time (ROM Select and GROM Select) for 3 (or more) carts?

Just because I do like a steam punky look I was thinking it would be cool to have something like 2 guitar pickup switches side by side locked together.

Something like << THIS ONE >> would probably work for three cartridges, assuming that is the limit of a future design, but there is no fourth position to use as an open selection like what one person wanted... but it already comes with a TI matching knob. :)

<< THIS ONE >> has four positions and while mounting on a PCB might be easier, the required location of the switch might be problematic, especially if it's a stiff switch.. also it does not come with a knob.

• Like 1

Doesn't a slide switch work better for trying to dump cartridges by loading an ALC program with the E/A cartridge, then sliding the switch to the cartridge you want to dump. I can get it to work with the rotary switch of the original Navarone Widgit [sic], but it is a crapshoot.

...lee

Just out of curiosity. What kind of switch would you need to switch 2 different circuits at the same time (ROM Select and GROM Select) for 3 (or more) carts?

Just because I do like a steam punky look I was thinking it would be cool to have something like 2 guitar pickup switches side by side locked together.

Double pole (two contacts) 3 Throw (3 positions). DP3T ;) Mouser seems to have quite a selection of toggle, slide, and rotary (but double-check before you buy)...

http://www.mouser.com/Electromechanical/Switches/_/N-5g2h?P=1z0z28f&Keyword=DP3T&FS=True

• Like 2

Double pole (two contacts) 3 Throw (3 positions). DP3T ;) Mouser seems to have quite a selection of toggle, slide, and rotary (but double-check before you buy)...

http://www.mouser.com/Electromechanical/Switches/_/N-5g2h?P=1z0z28f&Keyword=DP3T&FS=True

I'm seriously considering hacking one together myself just because of my personal need for one. If I can get the parts for a reasonable price I may do it.

I'll just need connector sites for the grom ports and an edge connector for the grom port.

Something like the grom port extension cable with multiple sockets for carts with the proper wires cut to go to the switch. Even if I mounted it all to a block of wood. Are there any other parts needed? Like resistors or capacitors? Or is it really a simple as ports, wires, edge connector and proper switch? (If I didn't want to use a pcb)

Sinphaltimus, on 05 Jan 2017 - 11:22 AM, said:

I'm seriously considering hacking one together myself just because of my personal need for one. If I can get the parts for a reasonable price I may do it.

I'll just need connector sites for the grom ports and an edge connector for the grom port.

Something like the grom port extension cable with multiple sockets for carts with the proper wires cut to go to the switch. Even if I mounted it all to a block of wood. Are there any other parts needed? Like resistors or capacitors? Or is it really a simple as ports, wires, edge connector and proper switch? (If I didn't want to use a pcb)

I honestly couldn't say. If it was me, I'd probably just hack it together and see, and I'd expect it to work. But if it didn't work due to bus loading, capacitance, RF interference, etc... I wouldn't be able to troubleshoot it. There's not much more in the widget though ;)

I honestly couldn't say. If it was me, I'd probably just hack it together and see, and I'd expect it to work. But if it didn't work due to bus loading, capacitance, RF interference, etc... I wouldn't be able to troubleshoot it. There's not much more in the widget though ;)

I got in to a conversation with a friend who is not tech savvy at all. It came up when ebay alerted me to a cart exp.auction ending soon. I explained I wanted to make one.I talked about the kind of switch I would need and the I needed to control 2 lines for each cart up to 4.

His response was so simple and off the wall that I don't think I can ignore it and I may go this route just for the whackiness if it.

Connect up all 4 grom ports and solder an rca connector to each port +5v and grom wires. Say grom to yellow rca and +5v to red rca for each port. Then plug in those rca connectors to an old school a/v switch box. Close the circuits at the a/v out on the switch box.

For expandability, use the switch box for 3 carts and the fourth to expand over to another expander. (Press button 4 to enable second daisy chained cart expander.

Not sure the tolerances on how many ports we could have before we run in to issues due to signal or voltage drops.

This sort of off the wall idea would go great with my steam punkish looking peb mod. I even own a silver plastic a/v switch box sitting in a bag with at least 4 other switch boxes I don't use anymore.

So psyched to get on this.

Basically, when done. You want to use cart 1, press button 1, cart 2, button 2, etc..

8O

Any worries?

Edited by Sinphaltimus
  • Like 1

There was an 8-port cartridge expander made in Germany for a while, and I have two mutant homebrew six slot expanders here at the house (also from Germany). I call them mutant because all of the cartridges that work with them have been modified to replace the card edges with 36-pin Centronics connectors. The problem you get there is power management. You definitely have to cut power from the modules you aren't using, as the current draw on the cartridge port would be too high otherwise.

• Like 1

I have the schematics to the FORTI card (and I'm working on getting a nice high-res version of them done in Visio), which is actually a relatively easy build using one of the prototyping boards. I know at least one other person is working on doing just that. . .

I'm also working on the layout for a nice cartridge (standard sized) that includes 32K of bank-switched RAM and 40K of GRAM. It should load about any module file set out there except for the large ones designed to use the newer cartridge boards. It would work much like a GRAM Kracker.

I'm also waiting for the test boards for a Speech Synthesizer in the PEB board. Fabrication should be done in the next few days and I should be seeing them sometime before the next weekend. . .

Now I just have to do some surgery on one of my SAMS cards to see if the 4M circuitry works properly before I send that layout in for production. . .so little time, so many worthy projects. :)

• Like 3