IGNORED

I want to try setting up an Atari BBS....

Atari-Collector

I've ran PC based BBS's in the past, in fact I'm still in FidoNet.

But my curiosity is getting the better of me and I want to try setting up a BBS on one of my Atari's, probably the 800XL.. For now this is an experiment, no idea if I'll bring it online open to the public. If so, dialup would be via MagicJack... Anyway, my questions is what's a easy to get going BBS that's free to try at least?

If I were to bring it live some day, I could see doing it with an 800XL, SIO2SD and some generic 2400 baud modem.. but that's just guessing at this point.

thanks ;)

• Like 1

I've ran PC based BBS's in the past, in fact I'm still in FidoNet.

But my curiosity is getting the better of me and I want to try setting up a BBS on one of my Atari's, probably the 800XL.. For now this is an experiment, no idea if I'll bring it online open to the public. If so, dialup would be via MagicJack... Anyway, my questions is what's a easy to get going BBS that's free to try at least?

If I were to bring it live some day, I could see doing it with an 800XL, SIO2SD and some generic 2400 baud modem.. but that's just guessing at this point.

thanks ;)

You may want to use a Lantronix UDS-10. Works like a modem, but connects to the Internet instead of a POTS line. I don't think you'll get a reliable connection over MagicJack.

Be sure to post your updates, I'm thinking about doing the same thing.

• Like 3

which magicjack? there a number of units from the original that required computer to work to the standalone unit they sell now... I have 4 different magic jack units and as of today none of them allowed me to successfully complete a reliable fax or download via any modem I own... If one of them allows it we all need to know about it... and what kind of internet you have as well.... I could use cheaper modem/fax method

which magicjack? there a number of units from the original that required computer to work to the standalone unit they sell now... I have 4 different magic jack units and as of today none of them allowed me to successfully complete a reliable fax or download via any modem I own... If one of them allows it we all need to know about it... and what kind of internet you have as well.... I could use cheaper modem/fax method

Magic Jack Plus, I picked it for the sole reason it supports FAX connections, so data goes right along with that..

I'm just on a normal 15 mbit cable connection..

Edited by Atari-Collector

You may want to use a Lantronix UDS-10. Works like a modem, but connects to the Internet instead of a POTS line. I don't think you'll get a reliable connection over MagicJack.

Be sure to post your updates, I'm thinking about doing the same thing.

Came here to say exactly this, was telling a friend Friday I wanted to use one of mine to set up a bbs.

I figure if I can't find Atari bbs software that I want to go with, I may reopen my PC based bbs but change it to a strictly classic computer focus. ie the only PC files would be to aid sue of old computers.. and have files areas just for Atari and TS-80 along of info and stuff I find and just my it a central place to store all I have about the computers I collect.. and maybe a section for model trains since I do that too:)

As a PC/trek based bbs I hardly got any callers, which is why I closed it since the only thing connecting via telnet were bots looking for telnet servers to hack..

The Lantronix UDS-10 could be nice if I do a real Atari bbs and go telnet.. then again there's nothing like the sounds of a real modem screeching :grin:

So which one was yours? Mine is in Fidonet too (1:2215/1701)... the last Atari still on Fidonet.

My Fidonet node is 1:229/728, I still get a few echomail feeds in for my own use. I resurrected it a couple years back, trying to keep it the way it was when I run it back in the 80s/90s.. But a plain PC/Trekkie/SciFi BBS just wasn't interesting enough to keep regular callers, although it was the biggest Trekkie BBS in Toronto back in the day... So if I reopen a BBS, PC or Atari based, it'll get a name change and a focus on the vintage computers.

I still haven't come up with a Atari BBS software, so I thought I give this a little bump up. Still looking for suggestions of something the runs on a 800/800XL and 850 with a standard modem. I did come across the name Express BBS, but that appears to be a paid commercial package and that don't go along with my non existent budget to do this with.