IGNORED

what monitor do you use

Jim Pez

For my Commodore, Atari and other computers, most of the time I'm using a 14" Samsung LCD with almost all inputs I need, but I've got two different 1084's that I'm also using sometimes, plus a few other 14" CRT TVs of varying capacities. What speaks against using the 1084's is that they're on a desk cluttered with stuff so no place to keep the computer next to the monitor.

My Atari 600XL, like most French-sold computers that doesn't have RGB natively, come with a PAL to SCART RGB converter so I use any TV usually.

I have a Commodore 1084 monitor with SCART input but in analog RGB it's not the greatest quality, the picture is a bit fuzzy (of course the monitor might we worn out).

I had a semi-long thread about my monitor search here a while back. I was steered towards the Commodore 1084 as the most versatile, but found that the Magnavox RGB Monitor 40 and 80 are basically identical except for s-video and usually cost a lot less. (The last one I saw on Ebay went for $7.50 - I almost bought a second one.)

So yeah, right now I'm running an RGB Monitor 40, which is just the "40 column" version, but it handles all the retro computers I own, whether they use composite, analog RGB or digital RGB/CGA. Someday I might upgrade to an RGB Monitor 80, which has tighter dot pitch but is otherwise identical. I feel like 40 column monitors actually look more "correct" on 8 bit computers anyway.

Most monitors of the 8bits era and many of the 16 bits era (the ones using composite, RGBi, or RGB TTL) are just standard color TV without the RF input; some might have better video circuits but the ube is a standard TV tube.

80 colums monitors and monitors acceping CGA and EGA, or some IBM PC CGA are more likely to be dedicaced monitor tubes and indeed lose a bit of the "TV" feel.

Most monitors of the 8bits era and many of the 16 bits era (the ones using composite, RGBi, or RGB TTL) are just standard color TV without the RF input; some might have better video circuits but the ube is a standard TV tube.

80 colums monitors and monitors acceping CGA and EGA, or some IBM PC CGA are more likely to be dedicaced monitor tubes and indeed lose a bit of the "TV" feel.

The RGB Monitor 40 and 80 have both analog RGB and digital RGB/CGA plus composite. It's really uncommon to find that combo of inputs; only the Commodore monitors seem to have the same, plus some really high-end Sony broadcast monitors. It specifically says on the box that it can be used with the C64, Atari 400/800 and IBM PC. I'm using it with all three of those. (My "IBM PC" is a Tandy 1000.) But it should also work with the 16 bit machines that support analog RGB.

What I wouldn't give for ONE color monitor (with composite)! None locally in my area ever....and the few I have purchased on ebay have come in smashed even after I had instructed the seller on how to package it correctly. I made the BIG mistake of selling an Amiga monitor a few years ago because I had some equipment to connect older hardware to newer flatscreens. Now there seems no hope that I will get one any time soon :(

• Like 1

I bought an Amdek I with an Apple ][e a few years ago, and it was "slightly damaged" in transit..

The unit works fine, I use it with my Commodore SX64, because it has both Composite Color Video and Sound....

http://tech.markoverholser.com/files/2012-12-31_8bit_Desk_02.jpg

2012-12-31_8bit_Desk_02_s.jpg

MarkO

• Like 1

I had a Commodore 1802 I picked up at a thrift store which was a huge upgrade from the TV I used for many years. I wished I had a video cable with ym 130XE but it worked well with the "modern" systems I had like the Playstation, Dreamcast & Gamecube. Plus I hooked up a DVD/VCR combo not only to watch movie rentals but also hook my Atari systems up to it and watch TV channels with an OTA.

But I got rid of all my heavy CRTs when I got my HDTV and had to move. Since I use computer emulators on my PC, it all worked out...

For my Adan I use a Commodore 1702, but I use a 1084s for the C128 because it has RGBI. They work great and I run all my consoles through these two. Most use the 1702 (the 5200 uses s-video on the back), but the CoCo3 uses the 1084s because of RGB. These two monitors really work well together for classic systems.

A bit difficult to navigate, but this site has a lot of specs and variations. As noted above, Commodore slapped their logo onto multiple brand monitors, so the same model number may reference to many different monitors and the same monitor may exist at the original manufacturer.

http://gona.mactar.hu/Commodore/monitor/Commodore_monitors_by_model_number.html

• Like 1

A bit difficult to navigate, but this site has a lot of specs and variations. As noted above, Commodore slapped their logo onto multiple brand monitors, so the same model number may reference to many different monitors and the same monitor may exist at the original manufacturer.

http://gona.mactar.hu/Commodore/monitor/Commodore_monitors_by_model_number.html

What a nice resource...

Thanks!!!

MarkO

• 4 weeks later...

I bought an Amdek I with an Apple ][e a few years ago, and it was "slightly damaged" in transit.. The unit works fine, I use it with my Commodore SX64, because it has both Composite Color Video and Sound.... http://tech.markoverholser.com/files/2012-12-31_8bit_Desk_02.jpg2012-12-31_8bit_Desk_02_s.jpgMarkO

That Amdek takes me back. We use to use one for our Apple II and then it was set up as a dedicated monitor for my brother's Sega Genesis. I also had a Commodore 1702 monitor that I used for years. I would love to get both again, unfortunately they are out of my budget. I use my LG 32CS560 LCD TV as my monitor currently.

• Like 1