IGNORED

Has anyone ever attempted a complete Atari 2600 collection before?

totallyterrificpants

I suppose it depends on the definition of "complete." If you included literally *every* game (from any and all manufacturers, including pirates and protos), accessory, peripheral, or any other item directly related to the Atari 2600 worldwide, it would be absolutely impossible.

So I guess we all have to draw our own lines somewhere. Do you count prototypes? Pirates? Different regions? Esoteric stuff like Compumate software? Stupid shit like Grabber Balls?

Personally, my only "completeness" goals at the moment are complete loose NTSC libraries for Atari Inc. (text, pic, silver label games), Atari Corp. (red, gray, alternate font, and '86-'88 "error" labels), and Sears (text, pic). I still have some miscellaneous gaps in some of my third-party collections that I'll fill here and there if/when I think of it (still need Raft Rider by US Games and Star Strike by M-Network, for instance). And of course I'll pick up any other odd game I'm missing that I happen upon, funds permitting, but complete loose NTSC Atari, Atari Corp., and Sears sets are my only real goals for 2600 collecting now. Although I may append that with manuals for them, at least for text-label games that had no picture-label equivalent, so I can at least get a taste of that artwork. :-D

Edited by BassGuitari
  • Like 1

Aside from the issue of rarity and unobtainable games, there is the matter of acquiring games that one will never play (or wish to play), e.g. Strawberry Shortcake's Musical Match Ups, Big Bird's Egg Catch, some of the really early Atari sports games like Home Run. A "complete" collection will be clogged with many such titles. There are also numerous pirate hacks and re-releases of existing titles under a different name. Again, these add nothing to the play-ability of a collection.

I long ago decided that I was only going to collect games (for any system) that I like/will play; I am far from being a completest.

http://www.atarimania.com/atari-vcs-2600.html

8000 titles and rising, I think it is impossible

Think about the original value of that... If you assume an average retail price of $29.95, that's $239,600 worth of games.

I'll bet with the wildly varying prices these days, where some cost $1 and others cost $1,000, a complete collection probably still would be pretty close to that.

If you're talking like a complete North American collection or something, I don't think so. There's too many games with only a handful of copies known to exist - to my knowledge there's what, five or six copies of Air Raid out there? like three known copies of Extra Terrestrials? One known copy of Red Sea Crossing? And only a couple dozen Mangias, Magicards and Video Lifes if that. So even though the what, 421 unique releases or so doesn't seem like an insurmountable number, it gets too hard in the higher echelons. And yeah, if you're going worldwide there's an absurd number of pirate releases.

For me personally, I focus on trying to complete specific publisher sets for the console. I'm closing in on a full Atari set, I've got full Activision, Imagic, M-Network, CBS, Parker Bros, Telesys, Epyx, Sega, Amiga, Selchow and Venturevision sets (I know, the last three only have one release each).I'm also aiming to finish out my Data Age, Apollo, Fox, Mythicon and US Games collections, but generally I don't go out hunting for specific titles so much as I grab them when I see them.

Edited by ubersaurus

Aside from the issue of rarity and unobtainable games, there is the matter of acquiring games that one will never play (or wish to play), e.g. Strawberry Shortcake's Musical Match Ups, Big Bird's Egg Catch, some of the really early Atari sports games like Home Run. A "complete" collection will be clogged with many such titles. There are also numerous pirate hacks and re-releases of existing titles under a different name. Again, these add nothing to the play-ability of a collection.

I long ago decided that I was only going to collect games (for any system) that I like/will play; I am far from being a completest.

I always thought Home Run was s fun game. I played it a lot with friends 35 years ago and still play it at times.

Edited by agb

Think about the original value of that... If you assume an average retail price of $29.95, that's $239,600 worth of games.

I'll bet with the wildly varying prices these days, where some cost $1 and others cost $1,000, a complete collection probably still would be pretty close to that.

But if you take inflation into account that $240k is probably closer to a million.