IGNORED

Tempest Elite coming soon to Atari 8-bit

peteym5

This is a game we have been working on for almost 5 years. Tempest Elite runs on a standard 64K Atari computer and has the ability to detect VBXE and Stereo Pokey. When detected it loads the subroutines (drivers) to take advantage of the upgraded hardware in 320x192 256 color mode. If not detected it will run with original Atari 8-bit Antic GTIA player/missile graphics in 160x192 4 color mode.

• Like 28

what is the main difference from this to the Tempest Extreme version?

96 Different levels instead of 32 repeated twice. Uses a different encryption to compact more webs on the cartridge. Webs can be randomly arranged or played in order. Levels can have between 10 and 24 lanes verses only 15 or 16 lanes. There is an extra enemy in the higher levels that block your shots and shoots back. Takes multiple shots to destroy.

Tempest Elite supports VBXE, Stereo Sounds, and Different types of controllers.

• Like 5

96 Different levels instead of 32 repeated twice. Uses a different encryption to compact more webs on the cartridge. Webs can be randomly arranged or played in order. Levels can have between 10 and 24 lanes verses only 15 or 16 lanes. There is an extra enemy in the higher levels that block your shots and shoots back. Takes multiple shots to destroy.

Wow! thats some big additions, Def want to purchase!

If this can be linked to the DB9 joystick port and generate grey code, it would work like the track ball or Indy 500 drive controller which is supported by Tempest Elite.

Does the indy 500 have an option for 360 degress or just like the paddles on the Atari 8-bit that do have range of 0-228 ?

I will check with a person who builds jaguar rotary's if its podsible because that would make it ultra awesome

Sent from UMI hammer with Tapatalk

I'll take two as soon as they are put on sale. Great game already, can't wait to play the updated version.

Thanks!

those Indy 500 controllers are fulll 360 degree. They read 2 bits in sequence grey code so it knows they are going left or right. The routine will read trackball controllers also. I understand there were 2 different versions of the way those trackball sent output to the system. Tempest Elite and Megaoids 2016 uses the "grey code." I am considering modifying "Delta Space Arena" and releasing it for those looking to play the game with other controllers as well.

• Like 2

Sounds great. One question, does Tempest Xtreem support a rotary control or trackball? I've been playing with a joystick, and never noticed an option for anything else, but I could just be oblivious. It's one of the few things I didn't like about Xtreem, But I had only played the demo version, so maybe the official release does have support for rotary? I was going to buy the official release anyway, but now I think I'll wait for Elite.

Tempest Xtreme was joystick only. After I completed Tempest, I had several discussions with Sal about either doing a sequel or putting together a game that can make use of the routines. The concept of the multiplexer was quickly adapted for many future games. I was looking for something that can take advantage of faster line drawing and digital sound effects. Then I came back to see what I can get together for a sequel. I wanted to make a VBXE version of Xtreme, but Sal warned me there would be a very limited market. Then I did some thinking, remember those old PC games that can run on either Mono, CGA, VGA, etc. and said why can't I just make this new planned game capable of running on a real Atari with the original chipset, but have it check for VBXE and if present, replace the player/missile multiplexer with a VBXE blitter routine that puts the sprites in the same X/Y screen positions.

I looked at what else I can do, I always wanted more lanes and be able to set up if they are opened or closed. I payed attention to what people asked about Xtreme, like Lane Highlighting, using different controllers. Sal even wanted to modify some paddle controllers that can continuously go around by replacing the potentiometer inside. With this new game, I added the paddle. Also the track ball and driving controller are present as long as it outputs this "Grey Code" to the Atari computer. I believe some trackballs have "joystick" mode that causes it to act as a joystick moving in a certain direction.

We are preparing to release the game on cartridge and runs on a 64K XL/XE Atari, and does not required extended memory. No release date or price has been decided yet.

• Like 2

This is looking amazing - one thing I'd love to know - will the stock version (ie. no VBXE) be fine on a PAL machine?

Really wanting to keep an eye out for this when it comes out, but it'll be a no-go if it's not PAL friendly :)