IGNORED

Differences in LCD screens between Lynx

Nachoman

I currently have 2 PAG-201's and both look quite different when viewed using the same game. One has had a full recap and ZD1 replaced, the other to my knowledge has never been opened up.

You would expect the One that has had work done to be the best but its not, its LCD colours and contrast are no where near that of the other, although it does have significantly better picture when it comes to vertical line shadow.

Is the contrast anything that can be improved? or is it just a case of one LCD has seen more use that the other and so has lost the ability for the crystals to produce colours aswell as the other?

I cant believe that Lynx's would vary like that when they came out the factory in terms of LCD build quality tolerances.

• Like 1

I currently have 2 PAG-201's and both look quite different when viewed using the same game. One has had a full recap and ZD1 replaced, the other to my knowledge has never been opened up.

You would expect the One that has had work done to be the best but its not, its LCD colours and contrast are no where near that of the other, although it does have significantly better picture when it comes to vertical line shadow.

Is the contrast anything that can be improved? or is it just a case of one LCD has seen more use that the other and so has lost the ability for the crystals to produce colours aswell as the other?

I cant believe that Lynx's would vary like that when they came out the factory in terms of LCD build quality tolerances.

You should get a Mcwill screen installed.

Its so good, you'll never want to see an old LCD screen again. ?

I bought a Lynx II brand new back in 2000 or so and it was so washed out from the very beginning that I couldn't believe Atari had ever released this thing. It didn't occur to me that some of the Lynx screens could be different than others. But I'd say if there is variation, it's probably from the factory - similar to what Nintendo does with the 3DS right now. (I don't really buy that they use both IPS and TN screens, but certainly some 3DS screens are better than others.)

I took a pic at the time of what my Lynx looks like, it's about halfway down in the post I made about it on my game site back then: http://www.jwnyc.com/games/lynx.html

That is more or less an accurate representation of what my Lynx looks like and has always looked like, minus the vertical lines (which are not really noticeable in real life). Does your look washed out like that?