IGNORED

Defend your Castle, will be released on Christmas Eve.

mr-atari

You did a great job with this! The only other thing I would note, is to convert the color palette for NTSC. A good conversion for your use of $3x ($30-3C) for the ground would be $Dx ($D0-DC) for NTSC. For the castle colors, your use of $40, $42, and $46 should be $20, $22, and $24. That is, if you want to most closely match your PAL palette. :)

• Like 2

I had the pleasure of previewing this at the Schiedam retrofair and it was great fun !!!

Sijmen explained me all the stuff he had to program to just create that great looking castle on the intro screen. Although I understand a bit about programming and also about the 2600's "features' I didn't understand everything completely but I always love to listen to Sijmen as he explains it so well :)

Awesome job....received my Harmony cart yesterday so I can now try it at home playing it agains my son :)

• Like 1

You did a great job with this! The only other thing I would note, is to convert the color palette for NTSC. A good conversion for your use of $3x ($30-3C) for the ground would be $Dx ($D0-DC) for NTSC. For the castle colors, your use of $40, $42, and $46 should be $20, $22, and $24. That is, if you want to most closely match your PAL palette. :)

Yes I think that would be very nice....I just ran it on my NTSC 2600 (which I have calibrated using the Test pattern cartridge) and the colors are kinda muddy looking now which is a shame since they are nice and vivid on PAL.

I'll upload some pics I made...

I did a color hack a few days ago, but didn't upload it because it's not my game and at that point, the ROM hadn't even been posted here at AA. However, here are some pics of what the game looks like with the color conversions I suggested. :)

NTSC Colors:

$Dx ($D0-DC) for ground

$20, $22, and $24 for castle

The sky colors don't need converted between PAL & NTSC

post-9364-0-70967200-1483117208_thumb.png post-9364-0-51574700-1483117222_thumb.png

Here are NTSC, PAL, and SECAM color charts on Random Terrain's website:

http://www.randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-batari-basic-commands.html#colorchart

Here is what the NTSC version currently looks like with the PAL colors:

post-9364-0-20659300-1483118300_thumb.png post-9364-0-84492400-1483118308_thumb.png

Edited by KevinMos3
  • Like 3

I can do a modified version for NTSC, sure.

For my first game, I did not bother to setup the colors in RAM and use them as color-values.

I do setup a PAL-flag depending on the Color/BW-switch ;-)

Neither did I match-up 50/60fps gameplay/timers.

But I did look at NTSC/PAL variants to have some colors that or not odd.

So green grass for PAL and brown soil for NTSC.

So what I can do is using the modified colors in ROM, giving NTSC the PAL-colors, ending up with a changed PAL-version.

Just drop me a reply here and I get to it.

• Like 2

I can do a modified version for NTSC, sure.

For my first game, I did not bother to setup the colors in RAM and use them as color-values.

I do setup a PAL-flag depending on the Color/BW-switch ;-)

Neither did I match-up 50/60fps gameplay/timers.

But I did look at NTSC/PAL variants to have some colors that or not odd.

So green grass for PAL and brown soil for NTSC.

So what I can do is using the modified colors in ROM, giving NTSC the PAL-colors, ending up with a changed PAL-version.

Just drop me a reply here and I get to it.

Yes please Sijmen ! :)

I prefer the fresh vibrant PAL colors IMHO....

Here's the pic how it looks in NTSC on my B&O MX4000 TV..... this pretty much matches what KevinMos3 posted.

post-25272-0-19966400-1483655701_thumb.jpg

Edited by Level42