IGNORED

Micro-Mainframe MF-1681 Disk Drive with Z-80 like ATR8000

Defender II

Hello fellow Atarians, Atarigurus, Atari Historians.

I'm looking for some info., manual, and disks for an illusive Micro-Mainframe MF-1681 Disk Drive. It has a processor (Z-80), floppy (can control 8 - 3.5", 5.25", 8") and printer connections like the ATR8000 no RS232, but according to Antic Vol 2 No 6 it has "hard disk firmware included".

I tried to read the whole magazine at Atarimania but the PDF download is missing pages. I don't think there is anything more about it in the magazine so I came her to ask all of you.

I had one of these years ago. There was no mention of anything about a hard drive in the manual that I can recall although I bought it used. I don't have it anymore -- couldn't believe how big it was -- as long as an original IBM XT case. Do you have one, or just curious?

-Larry

I had one of these years ago. There was no mention of anything about a hard drive in the manual that I can recall although I bought it used. I don't have it anymore -- couldn't believe how big it was -- as long as an original IBM XT case. Do you have one, or just curious?

-Larry

Yes. Picked it up a few months ago, but didn't have time to check it out. I just tested it before Christmas, then had to put it away. It is big, but very well made; reminds me of the Astra (1620, 2001, "Big D", "The One", and 1001), which I'd like to get. I got it to boot, but didn't have a manual to do much else. I'd like to get the expansion box I read about which upgrades it to 64K so it can run CP/M but according to the Atari FAQ it never shipped (there must be a prototype or demo out there though). I really need the manual and any other info to do more.

Did you buy yours new or used? What did it come with? Did it come with a single drive mechanism or two? If you can contact the person who bought it, I love to talk to them. I'd like to know what the proper settings are to change the drive ID.