IGNORED

sound cuts out

bigbacon

Gotta tackle it from the inside. There are some precautions to take when dealing with monitors too, so you'll want to YouTube and Google taking one of these apart, discharging tubes, etc. When it comes to the potentiometer, usually an opening when you can spray the cleaner into. DeOxit D5 is one of my favorite sprays... can be found at Amazon, eBay, etc.

Nope, just a really long screwdriver the grounded to the chassis ground and some rubber gloves.. it was pretty easy and not as scary as I thought it would be.

Before you mess with the inside, I'd try spraying some DeOxit into the switch from the outside.. I've done it before and it definitely helped. Pop the knob off, squirt it in the switch the best you can and work it back and forth for a minute or two. If that doesn't work, you'll probably have to dig in. Watch those videos and be cautious, you should be fine..Nobody's dies from discharging a Vectrex that I'm aware of. ;)

with the vectrex unplugged from mains socket, you could try turning the volume knob all the way up, then all the way down (not switched off though), then all the way up again, all the way down, repeat doing that about 30 times...

then when u try the vectrex again, see if the behaviour of the sound issue has changed at all

you could try reseating the soundchip if you are confident with removing and reinserting socketed chips (it's prob not the problem but if comfortable removing/reinserting chips, might as well try)

also as already mentioned, some switch cleaner spray in the on/off/volume pot, but as you may have already guessed, you have to take half the vectrex apart to get to it, unfortunately

Edited by vtk

I've had volume drop out that is not related to the volume potentiometer. It came back in a moment. Happened today in Armor Attack which is the only game that this has happened in that I am aware of. I will be doing a full capacitor replacement soon. Not sure that the sound dropout is related to caps but we'll see.