IGNORED

The UAV Rev. D Video Upgrade Thread

Bryan

This machine had absolutely terrible video. I tried all the mods like supervideo and it was still really bad. My 400s rf was much better! lol Anyway, couple years ago I bought the lowbudget board off ebay. It takes it's signals direct off the gtia and was pretty decent. Still had some lines though so thought I'd give your board a try. Clears things up even more. I'm leaning to putting my 2nd board in the 400. It was my original Atari and I only have 1 tv left that uses RF.

Thanks for your work on this!

Is there any green led or anything on this board so I know it's alive? This just doesn't seem to be my day.
All I get is a black screen. I have an 800xl. My 4050 is socketed so I was able to drop it in. I picked up +5 and ground easy enough. Then I just ran chroma, luma and composite to the 5-din.

If I put the 4050 back in I get a picture so I know I have svideo correctly wired on the monitor plug. I double checked the settings for the rev.D 800xl jumpers. They are easy enough to verify. I also tried just using composite.. still no signal.

Is there any green led or anything on this board so I know it's alive? This just doesn't seem to be my day.

All I get is a black screen. I have an 800xl. My 4050 is socketed so I was able to drop it in. I picked up +5 and ground easy enough. Then I just ran chroma, luma and composite to the 5-din.

If I put the 4050 back in I get a picture so I know I have svideo correctly wired on the monitor plug. I double checked the settings for the rev.D 800xl jumpers. They are easy enough to verify. I also tried just using composite.. still no signal.

Frankie,

Did you attach the Color line.??

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/246613-new-video-upgrade-coming-soon/?p=3432300

Edited by rdea6

It was the jumpers... can't believe how many times I looked at them and still didn't see what I did wrong.

Once I fix that, I got an amazing picture!

• Like 2

What would the jumper settings be for an 800?

The 800 cannot be used with the Plug-In board and the signals must be wired to the appropriate pads on the UAV. This is due to the placement of the 4050 relative to the shielding.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/246613-new-video-upgrade-coming-soon/?p=3389169

The 800 cannot be used with the Plug-In board and the signals must be wired to the appropriate pads on the UAV. This is due to the placement of the 4050 relative to the shielding.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/246613-new-video-upgrade-coming-soon/?p=3389169

I have a dremel and a cut-off wheel. What would the settings be then?

I have a dremel and a cut-off wheel. What would the settings be then?

Well, if you can make it fit... It cannot be done 100% with jumpers. The 800 requires two pins to be connected that aren't adjacent (this was intentional to have settings for all other machines). You can either do this with a small wire wrapped around the pins, or with two jumpers hanging off to the sides and then put a wire connecting the empty side of each. If you manage to make it work, please take pictures. I'd love to see how it turns out.

Here's the problem:

Jumper Pins
P11	SY

L3	P14

P9	L2

L1	P11

P7	SY

L2	P5

P7	L3

L0	P3

P9	L1

INV	INV

L0,P5 not possible
L1,P9
L2,P14
L3,P11
SY,P7 

Here's what it would look like:

post-3606-0-28330700-1485806201_thumb.png

Well, if you can make it fit... It cannot be done 100% with jumpers. The 800 requires two pins to be connected that aren't adjacent (this was intentional to have settings for all other machines). You can either do this with a small wire wrapped around the pins, or with two jumpers hanging off to the sides and then put a wire connecting the empty side of each. If you manage to make it work, please take pictures. I'd love to see how it turns out.

Here's the problem:

Jumper Pins
P11	SY

L3	P14

P9	L2

L1	P11

P7	SY

L2	P5

P7	L3

L0	P3

P9	L1

INV	INV

L0,P5 not possible
L1,P9
L2,P14
L3,P11
SY,P7 

Here's what it would look like:

Are you sure about these settings? My 800 won't even start up correctly when I try it. I'm not piggy backing the 4050 I'm replacing it.

Here's the 800's video buffer circuit (Atari Hardware Manual and Sams Computerfacts). LUM3 isn't labelled correctly because on all other machines the largest resistance belongs to LUM0 and the smallest to LUM3. I imagine the reason the 800 is different is because the schematic was modified at some point to accommodate the 4th LUM for GTIA mode 9.

Anyway, if the schematic is otherwise correct, then:

LUM0 = Pin 5

LUM1 = Pin 9

LUM2 = Pin 14

LUM3 = Pin 11

SYNC = Pin 7

I have no way to test this at the moment. When you put the UAV in, what does it do? Do you hear the normal boot-up audio? You shouldn't be able to crash the machine from the 4050 socket. By any chance did you plug the board in backwards (pin 1 is in the back, not the front)? Can you check continuity back to the GTIA pins?

post-3606-0-93271500-1485966528_thumb.png

post-3606-0-59527800-1485969925_thumb.png

Yes. Chroma is here (3rd picture):

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/246613-new-video-upgrade-coming-soon/page-12?do=findComment&comment=3432195

Solder a wire to that point and put it in terminal 1 (closest to the corner).

That did it. Nice color!!

So what does that strange jumper that I had to go diagonal from 2 pins not next to each other do? I can remove it and I don't notice any difference.

• Like 1

That did it. Nice color!!

So what does that strange jumper that I had to go diagonal from 2 pins not next to each other do? I can remove it and I don't notice any difference.

That's the least significant luminance bit and it's only used in GTIA mode 9 because that's the only mode that supports 16 shades. Without it, you'd only get 8 shades.

That's the least significant luminance bit and it's only used in GTIA mode 9 because that's the only mode that supports 16 shades. Without it, you'd only get 8 shades.

Is there any way to use 4 luma bits in all modes, or is that an internal limitation of the ANTIC to GTIA bus?

Is there any way to use 4 luma bits in all modes, or is that an internal limitation of the ANTIC to GTIA bus?

It's actually a limitation of GTIA. The color registers are all 7-bit so you can never turn LUM0 on. It's kind of silly, but CTIA had 7-bit color and the GTIA modes are bolted on. The LUM0 pin isn't located next to the other 3 and is probably a repurposed chip select pin. It's one of those details of life I'd fix if I had a time machine.

• Like 5

Quick question: are the jumper configurations the same between Rev C and Rev D? Thanks!

EDITED TO ADD: okay I'm a dope and missed the first post that mentions the different jumper config. Worse, I changed the jumpers to match the Rev C without taking a pic of the board before swapping. What's the jumper config for an 800XL please? THANKS AND SORRY!

EDITED AGAIN: man, I'm on a roll. Found the jumper configs in the second post. D'oh! Alright, that's fixed. So now composite looks great! Two thumbs up. :) But S-video is a rolling, convoluted mess. Any clue what wires I've got mis-configured? I wired it up the same as the Rev C board I had in there before. I think!

Edited by DrVenkman

Hmm... Composite is made from Chroma and Luma, so those two outputs must be working for Composite to be correct. Can you connect to Luma instead of Composite and get a black & white picture?

I'm two beers in and watching movies with Mrs. Venkman tonight so I'll give that a try tomorrow. I gotta admit I was kind of surprised something's goofed up with the video after composite looked so great. I wonder if the S-video input on my TV is going bad?

​Anyway, thanks for the suggestion. I'll let you know!

So yeah ...

Composite:

post-30400-0-47618000-1486260079_thumb.jpg

S-video:

post-30400-0-05904700-1486260100_thumb.jpg

Edited by DrVenkman
  • Like 1

Hmm... Composite is made from Chroma and Luma, so those two outputs must be working for Composite to be correct. Can you connect to Luma instead of Composite and get a black & white picture?

Can you explain the nature of what you mean? Connect the Luma wire into the Composite jack on terminal block? If that's what you mean, it didn't make any difference in the S-video picture at all. I didn't see what it did to the Composite image.

​In the meantime, I've verified all the connections, the jumper settings, etc. Composite looks great but S-video still looks like the photo.

Can you explain the nature of what you mean? Connect the Luma wire into the Composite jack on terminal block? If that's what you mean, it didn't make any difference in the S-video picture at all. I didn't see what it did to the Composite image.

​In the meantime, I've verified all the connections, the jumper settings, etc. Composite looks great but S-video still looks like the photo.

I mean to take the wire that's in the Composite terminal (#5) and move it to the Luma terminal (#4). This will feed Luma into the composite output and you should get a B&W picture.