IGNORED

The UAV Rev. D Video Upgrade Thread

Bryan

I mean to take the wire that's in the Composite terminal (#5) and move it to the Luma terminal (#4). This will feed Luma into the composite output and you should get a B&W picture.

Ah, gotcha. Can I ask you what this will help show or eliminate as a potential issue? I know Composite is working okay; it's the S-video that seems to be wonky, either with the board or the TV. I did have a Rev C board in this same machine and S-video was working fine last time I checked a few months back.

I don't mean to be dense or difficult - video is clearly NOT my area of expertise!

Ah, gotcha. Can I ask you what this will help show or eliminate as a potential issue? I know Composite is working okay; it's the S-video that seems to be wonky, either with the board or the TV. I did have a Rev C board in this same machine and S-video was working fine last time I checked a few months back.

I don't mean to be dense or difficult - video is clearly NOT my area of expertise!

By moving the wire, you're replacing Video with Luma which is the same signal but has no color. If you get a picture, it proves that Luma is working and that something is probably wrong with the S-Video wiring (Luma contains sync and your picture shows what looks like an un-sync'ed image, as if possibly Chroma and Luma were swapped).

By moving the wire, you're replacing Video with Luma which is the same signal but has no color. If you get a picture, it proves that Luma is working and that something is probably wrong with the S-Video wiring (Luma contains sync and your picture shows what looks like an un-sync'ed image, as if possibly Chroma and Luma were swapped).

Makes perfect sense, thanks.

Okay, I gave that a try but absolutely no change. I've confirmed three times that the UAV jumpers match the settings for the 800XL from post #2. Any other suggestions?

Makes perfect sense, thanks.

Okay, I gave that a try but absolutely no change. I've confirmed three times that the UAV jumpers match the settings for the 800XL from post #2. Any other suggestions?

What I mean is, observe composite video on your monitor and then move the Composite video wire to the Luma terminal and see what you get while still monitoring the composite input (do not switch to S-video, we are only observing how Luma looks when fed through the monitor's composite input). It's impossible that there will be no change if you moved the right wire.

Here's what should happen:

1. When the composite feed wire is in terminal 5, you see color video.

2. When the wire is pulled out of terminal 5, you get no video.

3. When the wire is placed in terminal 4, you get B&W video.

This will confirm that you're getting Luma at terminal 4.

• Like 2

What I mean is, observe composite video on your monitor and then move the Composite video wire to the Luma terminal and see what you get while still monitoring the composite input (do not switch to S-video, we are only observing how Luma looks when fed through the monitor's composite input). It's impossible that there will be no change if you moved the right wire.

Here's what should happen:

1. When the composite feed wire is in terminal 5, you see color video.

2. When the wire is pulled out of terminal 5, you get no video.

3. When the wire is placed in terminal 4, you get B&W video.

This will confirm that you're getting Luma at terminal 4.

Okay, I had a chance to do some brief testing tonight and when the composite feed wire is placed into terminal 4, I do get B&W video. So I guess this implicates either my Luma wire into the 800XL motherboard, or perhaps something screwy with the TV itself. I haven't removed and resoldered the Luma wire but I guess I can try that later tonight or tomorrow.

For what it's worth, here's the UAV showing the jumper configuration.

post-30400-0-16240000-1486422295_thumb.jpg

Okay, problem (and solution) found. Hate to say it, but the terminal blocks on the Rev D boards are STILL susceptible to slipping, especially those tiny guage jumper wires shipped with the boards. So, I stripped off about twice as much insulation as necessary then folded the wire in half and twisted the doubled-wire around itself. That gave enough thinkness to make a good connection. Fortunately, the Luma terminal is the only one that's slipping.

Anyway, problem solved. If anyone else has trouble with the terminal block slipping, it could probably also be dealt with by using a heavier-gauge jumper wire. In my case I was installing in place of an existing Rev C board so I didn't feel like removing and replacing the jumpers I've alread had soldered.

Are there any installation instructions for the 400? I'd love to get rid of the rf on mine due to so much interference. I've looked back at the linked threads, but I may have missed them. I'm trying to decide between this and the Super Color CPU card from tf_hh, especially since it appears the UAV is now going to be integrated into the Super Color CPU. The Super Color CPU indicates there's soldering and drilling needed and I was wanting to see what all was involved with the plug-in version of the UAV for the 400.

Are there any installation instructions for the 400? I'd love to get rid of the rf on mine due to so much interference. I've looked back at the linked threads, but I may have missed them. I'm trying to decide between this and the Super Color CPU card from tf_hh, especially since it appears the UAV is now going to be integrated into the Super Color CPU. The Super Color CPU indicates there's soldering and drilling needed and I was wanting to see what all was involved with the plug-in version of the UAV for the 400.

In the older UAV thread, there is a some posts about the 400. But be aware, that you lose sound, if you don't get the sound line out of the box.

There is a discussion about it in the old thread.

In the older UAV thread, there is a some posts about the 400. But be aware, that you lose sound, if you don't get the sound line out of the box.

There is a discussion about it in the old thread.

I'm keeping an eye on orpheuswaking's sound mod to compliment the UAV or Super Color CPU card. I'll go back through the older UAV thread again and see what I can find.

I have revised post #2 with links to the best install info from the Rev C thread.

• Like 1

Okay, problem (and solution) found. Hate to say it, but the terminal blocks on the Rev D boards are STILL susceptible to slipping, especially those tiny guage jumper wires shipped with the boards. So, I stripped off about twice as much insulation as necessary then folded the wire in half and twisted the doubled-wire around itself. That gave enough thinkness to make a good connection. Fortunately, the Luma terminal is the only one that's slipping.

Anyway, problem solved. If anyone else has trouble with the terminal block slipping, it could probably also be dealt with by using a heavier-gauge jumper wire. In my case I was installing in place of an existing Rev C board so I didn't feel like removing and replacing the jumpers I've alread had soldered.

Tinning the wire would help too. I'm now using better quality Chinese terminals and the ones in my test units have been fine, but I guess there's still some tolerance there. I'd love to use real Phoenix Contact terminals, but look at the cost:

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Phoenix-Contact/1725698

• Like 1

Tinning the wire would help too. I'm now using better quality Chinese terminals and the ones in my test units have been fine, but I guess there's still some tolerance there. I'd love to use real Phoenix Contact terminals, but look at the cost:

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Phoenix-Contact/1725698

I understand, no worries. Fortunately I'm a competent if uninspired solder jockey - I know which end gets hot. :) I can deal with connection issues, one way or another.

• Like 1

Hate to say it, but the terminal blocks on the Rev D boards are STILL susceptible to slipping, especially those tiny guage jumper wires shipped with the boards.

Quoting myself is bad form but hey, whaddaya gonna do? Turns out I was a doofus - the terminal block on my Rev D board is just fine. I (mistakenly) thought they clamped downward onto the wire. As it happens, they clamp shut upwards, closing like a pair of jaws. As a guy with a BS in mechanical and aerospace engineering, I gotta say I am more than a little embarrassed here, but gotta give credit where it's due - Bryan's board is aces and I'll be picking up another one or two when I can. :)

• Like 6

Quoting myself is bad form but hey, whaddaya gonna do? Turns out I was a doofus - the terminal block on my Rev D board is just fine. I (mistakenly) thought they clamped downward onto the wire. As it happens, they clamp shut upwards, closing like a pair of jaws. As a guy with a BS in mechanical and aerospace engineering, I gotta say I am more than a little embarrassed here, but gotta give credit where it's due - Bryan's board is aces and I'll be picking up another one or two when I can. :)

I quote myself all the time. Kind of a requirement when you discovered you made a mistake, but you can no longer edit the original. Hey don't feel bad, I made the same error. And as I learned a long time ago it doesn't matter how smart you think you are or how many degrees you have to prove it, street smarts will win every time in the real world (aka; hands-on experience).

- Michael

• Like 2

I have revised post #2 with links to the best install info from the Rev C thread.

To anyone please,

I looked at all the 800XL links in post #2 and I don't see a wiring instruction post. Where do I wire to the motherboard/GTIA from all the terminal block outputs? As in, 'get color from GTIA pin X'. There are hundreds of posts across three threads and I'm finding it difficult right now to find the correct wiring/soldering instructions.

Thank you very much in advance.

Edited by Sugarland

To anyone please,

I looked at all the 800XL links in post #2 and I don't see a wiring instruction post. Where do I wire to the motherboard/GTIA from all the terminal block outputs? As in, 'get color from GTIA pin X'. There are hundreds of posts across three threads and I'm finding it difficult right now to find the correct wiring/soldering instructions.

Thank you very much in advance.

Are you installing a Plug-In board? Is your CD4050 socketed?

Yes plug-in board. Yes it's socketed. I already removed the 4050. Soldering iron ready to go. :) 800XL. Thank you!

Okay, Lift the two ferrite beads as shown and solder wires for Video and Luma. The terminals are 654321 when looking at the back of the strip like that. Put Video in terminal 5 and Luma in terminal 4. You can see the L (kinda) and V I've written on the PCB. Next you'll need to add Chroma. This isn't supported on the XL's so you'll go right to the DIN. The only thing left is Color-In which goes to terminal 1. I'll look up a pic for those.

post-3606-0-41655400-1452928013.jpg

Here's a link to a post showing the Color take-off point (the back of the rightmost resistor, next to the cap). It can also be taken from Pin 21 of GTIA.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/246613-new-video-upgrade-coming-soon/page-9?do=findComment&comment=3417503

See also the 2nd picture here:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/246613-new-video-upgrade-coming-soon/page-12?do=findComment&comment=3432300

This shows a wire going to the monitor jack for Chroma.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/246613-new-video-upgrade-coming-soon/page-23?do=findComment&comment=3493187

This picture of a 600XL shows how the DIN pads are arranged (the pads are there but there's no port on US models):

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/246613-new-video-upgrade-coming-soon/page-16?do=findComment&comment=3463051

You can generally ignore the Ground terminals (2 and 6) and just use the ground in the socket. However, you can cut a short wire and put it in terminal 6 and touch it to the center pin (GND) of the DIN (or to the RF Modulator housing). If the picture improves in any way, then go ahead and install a ground wire.

Thank you. In that picture you have a wire going to 'color in' on the terminal block. Is that coming off the motherboard under the UAV?

I did find the grounding post which is strongly recommended so that's good. And I presume the +5v wire is optional but also helpful. For the 5v I am supposed to cut the thin connector on that terminal and solder to the right hand side?

Edited by Sugarland

Thank you. In that picture you have a wire going to 'color in' on the terminal block. Is that coming off the motherboard under the UAV?

I did find the grounding post which is strongly recommended so that's good. And I presume the +5v wire is optional but also helpful. For the 5v I am supposed to cut the thin connector on that terminal and solder to the right hand side?

The post above yours (#97) shows where to connect terminal 1. It's a resistor under the front of the UAV. Don't worry about the 5V. Usually power from the socket is good and UAV has its own regulator to clean it up. In fact, don't worry about a ground wire until you have it working.

Thank you. Awesome. Yes I saw your post #97 appear after I posted 98. 'Color in' looks like its going to R45 but it's hard to read because the resistor is right on top of it's lable/name. Okay great I'll do the ground wire after it's working. Thank you again. If I have time I'll type up an 800XL guide. That's my intention right now anyway. =) Cheers!!

Edited by Sugarland