IGNORED

The UAV Rev. D Video Upgrade Thread

Bryan

I noticed that Sugarland's UAV video wires don't appear to be shielded. Perhaps due to proximity of the U1MB and the non-shielded wires it's causing this issue. I have both the UAV and a U1MB in my XEGS and I'm not seeing any bars what so ever, but i do have my video connections being made via small coax cables. Here's what my setup looks like (older rev-C board in this photo, but now I have a rev-D installed).

xegs-installation_orig.jpg- Michael

Edited by mytekcontrols
  • Like 2

Okay so removing the U1MB did not improve the image on the 800XL w/UAV-D.

In order to try to eliminate the Dell monitor as a possible cause, I plugged up my 130XE to it.. Wow what a big difference. The 130XE does not have the waving noise and is also MUCH brighter. The XE does have lots of vertical lines closer together. Next I tried a near mint 65XE and it has even less interference than the 130XE. The vertical lines are more faint and it seems the signal is clearer with less blur. However the color on both the 130XE and 65XE is not nearly as good as the UAV-D 800XL. Dropping the display brightness with the 65XE plugged up helped bring the color closer to expectations.

I have another UAV-D board here. I'm thinking to swap that one into the XL to see if it behaves the same as the first UAV board. I also have two more 800XL's in which I can try a UAV board, if there is no improvement in the first one.

Oh shielded wires that sounds like a good idea. Which do you recommend? Was I supposed to use shielded wires?

Normally you can get away with non-shielded if the wires are kept short. But if you have a long run or go underneath a noisy board such as I did, then shielding might help out. As to what kind, preferably something with a small diameter having a nominal 75 ohm impedance. I got mine out of some surveillance camera cords I had laying around. So I don't have a good handle on what you can specifically buy and where to get it.

- Michael

The noise is gone when I pull out the chroma wire.

This appears to be a separate issue where GTIA's color timing is affected by system noise (I see it mostly on the 5200 for some reason). I'm looking into ways of dealing with it but it'll have to wait until I'm back in the US after April.

Oh shielded wires that sounds like a good idea. Which do you recommend? Was I supposed to use shielded wires?

It shouldn't matter for short runs in the case. If you have a 8-10" run across a lot of circuitry, then it might help a bit.

Okay so removing the U1MB did not improve the image on the 800XL w/UAV-D.

In order to try to eliminate the Dell monitor as a possible cause, I plugged up my 130XE to it.. Wow what a big difference. The 130XE does not have the waving noise and is also MUCH brighter. The XE does have lots of vertical lines closer together. Next I tried a near mint 65XE and it has even less interference than the 130XE. The vertical lines are more faint and it seems the signal is clearer with less blur. However the color on both the 130XE and 65XE is not nearly as good as the UAV-D 800XL. Dropping the display brightness with the 65XE plugged up helped bring the color closer to expectations.

I have another UAV-D board here. I'm thinking to swap that one into the XL to see if it behaves the same as the first UAV board. I also have two more 800XL's in which I can try a UAV board, if there is no improvement in the first one.

The UAV's output levels were chosen according to standard "broadcast-safe" levels. Atari's levels are all over the place from machine to machine. If we can't figure out what's going on, I'll have you send me the machine for evaluation.

So how are people installing these? Meaning are you running the internal cabling to an S-Video port and the audio to a 3.5mm plug mounted to the back of your system or are you guys running cable out the back all the way to the TV? I'd think it would be cleaner looking to do the former, but thought I'd ask if anybody has documented it either way.

So how are people installing these? Meaning are you running the internal cabling to an S-Video port and the audio to a 3.5mm plug mounted to the back of your system or are you guys running cable out the back all the way to the TV? I'd think it would be cleaner looking to do the former, but thought I'd ask if anybody has documented it either way.

On all system I already UAVified, I ran the cabling to the existing monitor plug.

On my 400, I did the latter of your two options.

On all system I already UAVified, I ran the cabling to the existing monitor plug.

On my 400, I did the latter of your two options.

Ah, yes, I should have specified I'm looking at adding it to a 400. How did you secure the cable to keep it from tugging on the internals? Just use the existing RF cable hole and use the case as a clamp?

Ah, yes, I should have specified I'm looking at adding it to a 400. How did you secure the cable to keep it from tugging on the internals? Just use the existing RF cable hole and use the case as a clamp?

Exactly. On the back of the board near the CPU card are two cutoffs and near that two holes in the case. I laid the sound cable through one route and the Svideo cable through the other.

On an XEGS there is no Video DIN jack like on other machines, so I ended up terminating the S-Video portion with a MINI-DIN 4 pin jack that I glued upside down to the motherboard lined up with the original RF output hole (RF Modulator removed), and I substituted the UAV composite output for the Atari's while using the same RCA jack. Later I found a nice little break-out board kit for the MINI-DIN 4 and used that instead (only right side up this time and bolted in place). It's still lined up with the RF output hole, so something like this would also work on other machines as well. Nice thing about doing it this way is that you have a standard S-Video connector, and don't have to come up with some kind of adapter cable to mate with the more modern monitors/TV's that supported this feature.

SWQEJMA.jpg

Here's a LINK to the original post.

- Michael

EDIT: had to sand down the terminal pins after soldering so as not to short out against the ground plane on the motherboard (had to keep the jack low in order to better line up with the RF jack hole).

Edited by mytekcontrols
  • Like 2

So Bryan, this upgrade completely bypasses the onboard video correct?

SO I can leave the other previous mod you did years ago and just put this in?

James

Yes, it picks off the signals where they come out of GTIA so it doesn't really care about the on-board video. You can leave everything as-is.

-Bry

Referred over from the FB group. Have 2 Video Music boxes looking for a upgrade if these are compatible. Schematic included.

The Video Music is very different from other Atari systems but it is possible to design an upgrade for it. Would you be willing to lend me a unit once I get moved back to the States in April?

• Like 5