IGNORED

The UAV Rev. D Video Upgrade Thread

Bryan

Got my UAV board and mounted it on one of my 600XL's, triple checked everything because she boots, but the video rolls left to right and up to down. No monitor controls can stop it ( and if it could I'd have multiple READY prompts stacked up.) and the color looks very faint.

Before I try to resurrect one of my other 600XL's to try it out on them, any suggestions from this knowledgeable group? It's not the Commie 1702, it works perfectly with my 1200XL. Checked all my connection with a VOM, all good.....

Ben

Got my UAV board and mounted it on one of my 600XL's, triple checked everything because she boots, but the video rolls left to right and up to down. No monitor controls can stop it ( and if it could I'd have multiple READY prompts stacked up.) and the color looks very faint.

Before I try to resurrect one of my other 600XL's to try it out on them, any suggestions from this knowledgeable group? It's not the Commie 1702, it works perfectly with my 1200XL. Checked all my connection with a VOM, all good.....

Ben

Can you post a picture of the installed board?

Ben

What is the jumper configuration?

• Like 1

Yeah I am going to guess Jumper config is off. Make sure you also check the correct config for the board you have, there is a REV C & a REV D.

Yeah the jumper configs changed between Rev C and Rev D I think. I figured that out when I replace the Rev C board in my 800XL with the Rev D.

By the way, the Rev C is damn near perfect on a 4-switch 2600. :)

• Like 2

You called it, I was using the Rev C jumper settings! I'll report on how the proper jumpers work tomorrow, gotta sleep.....

Got the jumpers set right and it looks beautiful! I have yet to modify the case, so with no keyboard I loaded up an Atarimax 8gb cart and looked at Galaxian, wow. The I tried an ACE 80 cart to see what software 80col looked like. It showed me how badly out of adjustment my monitor is :-)

ben

Got the jumpers set right and it looks beautiful! I have yet to modify the case, so with no keyboard I loaded up an Atarimax 8gb cart and looked at Galaxian, wow. The I tried an ACE 80 cart to see what software 80col looked like. It showed me how badly out of adjustment my monitor is :-)

ben

Remember as well that the UAV board has a little screw that can adjust the phase of the signals - it can make a BIG difference. On my daily-driver 800XL I had to rotate the adjustment almost entirely through its range counter-clockwise. You should give that a try and see if it improves things even further. :)

• Like 2

Some pictures of a low shield Plug-In install in an 800XL. It's a tight fit but it can be done if a low-profile machine-pin socket is used and the leads of the UAV are trimmed a bit so they go together flush. I put a piece of tape on the shield to make sure the jumper section doesn't touch.

post-3606-0-06207200-1495939278_thumb.jpg

post-3606-0-09775100-1495939281_thumb.jpg

post-3606-0-86158300-1495939284_thumb.jpg

post-3606-0-83064600-1495939288_thumb.jpg

post-3606-0-18971900-1495939294_thumb.jpg

post-3606-0-84988300-1495939299_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

So as I detailed in another thread yesterday and earlier today, I was working on one of my 1200XL's. I had a U1MB in it a couple years ago but the combo wasn't stable. I removed the U1MB but never got the 1200XL back to stock OS configuration and working again. Anyway, after I got it running as a plain-Jane system once more, I went ahead and installed my second Rev D board into it. This machine previously had a simplified version of the ClearPic mod done on it, along with restoring +5V to the SIO port, but other than that it was stock again. I used Bryan's annotated 1200XL photos posted in the earlier thread. My wires are too long because I haven't yet removed the RF Modulator entirely, which I will do when I put another U1MB in this machine in the future (this time with Jon and Hias' capacitor mod to help stability). For now, Chroma is run through a hole formerly used for one of the RF shield rivets. I left that wire much longer than necessary because when I put a U1MB in again, I will probably use that hole for one of the mounting standoffs and don't know yet how I'll route the wire.

Anyway, tl;dr: it works! :)

The patient:

post-30400-0-18136100-1496088811_thumb.jpg

UAV in place:

post-30400-0-61575100-1496088831_thumb.jpg

It works:

post-30400-0-70689500-1496088861_thumb.jpg

Composite text looks great against a dark background:

post-30400-0-84116500-1496088881_thumb.jpg

And S-video text is nice and sharp, although there are some vertical "jail bars" present, I'll see about those with separate power/ground leads when I install the U1MB.

post-30400-0-80182700-1496089059_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Holy s**t dude - screen #4. Can I please take that as my personal replacement for any lorem-ipsum text I may need?

LOL, sure. It's just a hodgepodge of half-remembered $h!t to fill the screen. I know I screwed up the JFK quote. :)

• Like 1

I finally got an 800 and got it up and running....and wow. I don't remember its video being so messed up. Luma is very bright. Composite is dark. At first I thought something was wrong but looking at the circuit there's no avoiding it- it's going to be dark. In the schematic, luma is picked off right at Q105 but R200 and R201 divide the composite brightness down quite a bit. I'm not sure what they were thinking. Is the 800 known for having dark composite?

DrVenkman, thanks for the pics. All real technicians keep a giant container of coffee handy.

I just fired up one of my stock 800's - ugh, you're right. I have the benefit of a fully-analog CRT as my main computer monitor so I can pretty easily adjust brightness, contrast and saturation between various systems, but yeah ... compared to my UAV-equipped 800XL and 1200XL through composite, it's darker overall and much less sharp.

I just fired up one of my stock 800's - ugh, you're right. I have the benefit of a fully-analog CRT as my main computer monitor so I can pretty easily adjust brightness, contrast and saturation between various systems, but yeah ... compared to my UAV-equipped 800XL and 1200XL through composite, it's darker overall and much less sharp.

Thanks for checking. As a kid I always used the 800 with RF so I never noticed it. Maybe they were targeting some odd '70s monitor.

Thanks for checking. As a kid I always used the 800 with RF so I never noticed it. Maybe they were targeting some odd '70s monitor.

Sure, no problem. I have too many systems and not enough CRTs, so it's a good excuse to pull it out (and verify it still works!).

On the other hand, stock Y-C/S-video looks pretty great on this machine. I've had this one for years but never tried it on S-video until tonight. Note: this is a 27" Toshiba TV, circa 2003 or so. All the image controls are at their defaults/automatic settings.

post-30400-0-31260400-1496268254_thumb.jpg

post-30400-0-86430900-1496268264_thumb.jpg

And for comparison, here's a Rev D UAV in my daily-driver 800XL:

post-30400-0-22861300-1496268274_thumb.jpg

post-30400-0-57495600-1496268286_thumb.jpg

Hi Bryan

In installed REV D today with functional success. I am using the monitor port on the 1200XL I

bought from you on ebay a few years back, serial #12,000! It's totally unmodded.

I used the plug in UAV and I used a segment of USB cable to connect from the green connection

block to the monitor port. I cut the split ground pad and soldered the USB cable shielding to the main

ground plane near the monitor port and the other end of ground to the pin 1 of green UAV block in

an attempt to shield chroma, luma and composite.

Using Svideo on 2 TVs I am having trouble with jail bars. Please see attached pics. Effect

is noticeable on both TV's. I've gone through both entire threads and am out of ideas to try.

Also visible on composite.

Help,

Steve

post-51679-0-27364100-1496692510.jpg

post-51679-0-94342600-1496697765.jpg

Using Svideo on 2 TVs I am having trouble with jail bars. Please see attached pics. Effect

is noticeable on both TV's. I've gone through both entire threads and am out of ideas to try.

Also visible on composite.

Help,

Steve

That's the chroma carrier and it should NEVER be visible in S-Video.

My first test would be to disconnect chroma from S-Video. The B&W Luma picture should be completely clean.

• Like 2