IGNORED

The UAV Rev. D Video Upgrade Thread

Bryan

Mine CRT TV is from 1989.

gallery_31396_730_1610151.jpg

Can you please run the attached file (Atari Control Picture)? Your machine has absolutely no red in that above image. I know that is a weakness of our machines, but there is no way that the orange and magenta are what I have seen, on any of my Atari machines since 1982 through the present - using CRTs from 1982 through a 2004 model.

acp.xex

• Like 1

The picture shows only TV set and it was not my intention on this picture to present the colors displayed on it. As you see the proper camera is set and pictures were taken later with light switched off to preserve colors.

Today I have problem with uploading my pictures to gallery, there is an error. Anybody knows what might be the problem?

http://atariage.com/forums/index.php?app=gallery&module=images&section=review&do=process

Edited by firestorm

Thanks for those extra images! Looks much better. I wonder how the red/gold vs green issue is presenting itself? From the colors.xex program shown above, red is red, gold is gold, green is green. It would make sense to stop the BallBlazer intro in an emulator, see what colour the background register is set to, since it all has to be shades of a single colour.

Thanks for those extra images! Looks much better. I wonder how the red/gold vs green issue is presenting itself? From the colors.xex program shown above, red is red, gold is gold, green is green. It would make sense to stop the BallBlazer intro in an emulator, see what colour the background register is set to, since it all has to be shades of a single colour.

It probably is that last row. Color $Fx.

I made my Kong that $F4 around there which should be brown. On one 2600 machine I saw a green Kong!

Since then I use a dark orange for brown.

The above picture shows dark yellow as a shade of brown. That could be the camera ? as dark yellow is still quite yellow in my experience.

I will start new topic about NTSC colors possibly this weekend.

Exactly what I was thinking, too...

I was about to start a new topic, with the purpose of allowing folks to both evaluate where the currently are, what NTSC color decoding they are seeing, and also some basic means for a completely tool-less calibration (other than Basic and a little screw-driver for rotating GTIA's color resistor, no SALT either).

I actually worked on a little SW utility just suited for the above purpose, which I intended to share with everyone. It is almost done, and I think I may release it in your topic, if you open it first.

​Cheers!

It probably is that last row. Color $Fx.

I made my Kong that $F4 around there which should be brown. On one 2600 machine I saw a green Kong!

Since then I use a dark orange for brown.

The above picture shows dark yellow as a shade of brown. That could be the camera ? as dark yellow is still quite yellow in my experience.

Correct, and not only the last row (which per original Atari documentation should be PEACH color towards the bright levels).

Atari color primaries (Red / Green / Blue) have also a slight change under most recent NTSC contemporary decoding. Reds will have a slight hint of Magenta (little), Greens will be pretty much ok, and BLUES will clearly shift an entire hue value (upwards) to actually be blue (from hue 07 to hue 08). That is assuming you are decoding hue 0A (10) correctly, which should look dark-gray-blue when LUMA is set to 0 (zero).

I maybe wrong but it looks to me that this is due to SMPTE-c primaries definitions, which superseded older primaries (most likely the ones under which Atari colors were rendered). This applies for us in NORTH AMERICA and the NTSC viewing devices (CRTs / LCDs) sold here.

Cheers!

Hello everyone -- hoping for some help on my first Rev D UAV upgrade on a 2600 4-switch with a socketed TIA chip. I believe i have the wires connected from the TIA to the UAV correctly, the UAV has plenty of power (5VDC), and the TIA chip and the console were functioning just fine prior to this attempt. I bent out pin 6 of the TIA, as I read it can cause issues. I'm pulling the color from the backside of the PCB and ran it to the screw in module for the UAV (sorry if i'm using incorrect terminology). I ran the ground and the composite off the UAV to the appropriate RCA jack. Can anyone see anything glaring that I'm doing incorrectly, as I am getting no picture or sound at this point. Any help would be greatly appreciated. (sorry the images are rotated). Thanks!

post-61342-0-40566800-1504794317_thumb.jpg

post-61342-0-46249700-1504794311_thumb.jpg

post-61342-0-63215100-1504794302_thumb.jpg

Brian - I suggest backing out your work a little bit and seeing what happens. Rig up a scrap wire and connect it straight up to the composite out and ground on the UAV then plug that to the TV without worrying about audio or anything. Just see if the system is dead or not. The UAV connections are simple with the Luma signal points marked as they are on Rev D boards.

Yeah, disregard. I think at some point during the soldering process, the TIA chip died (because I know for a fact it was working prior). I soldered underneath the board and replaced the TIA chip. Works like a charm now!

Brian - I suggest backing out your work a little bit and seeing what happens. Rig up a scrap wire and connect it straight up to the composite out and ground on the UAV then plug that to the TV without worrying about audio or anything. Just see if the system is dead or not. The UAV connections are simple with the Luma signal points marked as they are on Rev D boards.

post-61342-0-31541500-1504884630_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hi, I've revised my last statement and I'll be taking pre-orders like last time since I have a lot of stuff to order to get the next batch going. I expect to ship again around the beginning of November.

Prices are still:

$25 Plug-In or Kit or XEL

$22 Basic

+ shipping.

Also, my apologies for any slow responses as I've been sick as a dog this week.

• Like 5

Are there any complete written instructions for installing this up grade? How about a picture of a completed upgrade for an 800XL?

This thread and Bryan's earlier thread for the initial production version (Rev C) has dozens of posts. Check Bryan's first couple posts on Page 1 here for links to specific posts.

But having said that, here's my install in an 800XL.

post-30400-0-88240200-1505263759_thumb.png

• Like 1

Does the 4050 chip come out or stay in?

Generally, the 4050 is removed and the UAV installed in its place. If your board is socketed, its a piece of cake. If not, you have to pull the chip and install a socket, or solder the legs of the UAV pins piggyback onto the 4050.

• Like 1

Generally, the 4050 is removed and the UAV installed in its place. If your board is socketed, its a piece of cake. If not, you have to pull the chip and install a socket, or solder the legs of the UAV pins piggyback onto the 4050.

Thanks for the assist. :)

Best instructions are here:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/260267-the-uav-rev-d-video-upgrade-thread/?p=3656312

And I'm working on collecting everything for a full manual. Basically, pull out the 4050 (or solder the socket on it) and plug in the UAV. Connect the color line-in, and lift the inductors and run the 3 outputs to the DIN jack.

I usually install it with 4 wires.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/246613-new-video-upgrade-coming-soon/page-23?do=findComment&comment=3493187

This picture shows where to pick off the color signal from the back end of the rightmost resistor:

http://atariage.com/forums/uploads/monthly_01_2016/post-3606-0-16229000-1453012224.jpg

• Like 3