IGNORED

The UAV Rev. D Video Upgrade Thread

Bryan

Hi guys,

After many weeks yesterday I had the opportunity to give UAV rev.D another try. This time I connected the UAV composite output and ground directly to the video cable skipping the Atari PCB and din connections. I did that because I thought the Din connector I installed in my 600xl could have been not completely isolated.

It didn't work, I mean it worked for about one minute, then the same problem (check the video). If you turn the system off for about 30 seconds, and then turn it on again, the image looks great for about 10 or 5 seconds (just like the video).

Given this working "durations" it makes sense that there is something (a capacitor maybe) charging and discharging which is producing the problem. The output of the modulator is particularly noisy, I just mention this in case you think it may affect.

I already tried to supply power directly thru the designated pads without luck.

Bryan offer to send it back, but I want to know if you have ideas to give it a last try.

Thanks

Despite the timing of it not working, are you sure your sync signal is soldered well?

Also - what happens if you remove chroma from the equation? Even if you don't use s-video, you could move your wire from composite video out to luma out and see if you get a nice black and white signal.

Despite the timing of it not working, are you sure your sync signal is soldered well?

Also - what happens if you remove chroma from the equation? Even if you don't use s-video, you could move your wire from composite video out to luma out and see if you get a nice black and white signal.

I checked the sync signal from UAV to gtia and I am sure there is no problem there. I also tried your suggestion of feeding lumma to the composite, and also tried the same but also disconnecting the color-in signal to UAV. Still the same.

I still have to ideas to try: first one is to try UAV in other Atari computer. I don't have a socketed one, so I was thinking in holding UAV piggyback on top of the cd4050, just for few minutes to see if my noisy ground 600xl is the reason of the problem.

The other idea is a check a suspicious smt resistor that I might have moved while soldering the outputs.

Can someone send me a picture of the resistors that are close to the outputs side of the UAV rev D? The underneath side of the PCB.

It is the opposite side of the green terminal block, but close to it.

I want to compare and see if there is something fishy there...

Thank you so much,

M

Edited by manterola

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone.

I've been pulled away from my Atari projects for a little bit, so I've ordered a small run of UAV Rev D boards to keep them available until I have more time.

The available options are currently:

Basic $22

Plug-In $25

Kit $25

XEL $25

5200 low-profile build $25

I'm getting caught up with PMs as well so let me know if I've forgotten anyone.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

After many weeks yesterday I had the opportunity to give UAV rev.D another try. This time I connected the UAV composite output and ground directly to the video cable skipping the Atari PCB and din connections. I did that because I thought the Din connector I installed in my 600xl could have been not completely isolated.

It didn't work, I mean it worked for about one minute, then the same problem (check the video). If you turn the system off for about 30 seconds, and then turn it on again, the image looks great for about 10 or 5 seconds (just like the video).

Given this working "durations" it makes sense that there is something (a capacitor maybe) charging and discharging which is producing the problem. The output of the modulator is particularly noisy, I just mention this in case you think it may affect.

I already tried to supply power directly thru the designated pads without luck.

Bryan offer to send it back, but I want to know if you have ideas to give it a last try.

Thanks

That appears to be a bad capacitor. I have seen similar problems.

https://youtu.be/wJiJemb6Jco

Hey Bryan, any chance you could answer this ? I would love a plug-in version, but fear the postage could cost more than the actual device.

hi dude!

Bryan got back to me with the following:

"The cost for a Plug-In or Kit boards is $25 and a Basic board is $22. Shipping is $15"

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

HI everyone, I posted this is in the "All About Audio Companioin" thread, but that thread doesn't get a lot of action, so I thought I'd post it up on here with more people to possibly answer this (as Bryan is obviously a busy guy).

Hi Bryan (or anyone else who knows), I’m just curious why the audio companion only has one output?
I have a SynthCart which I believe is capable of splitting two separate audio signals to left and right outputs, so that I can capture the two signals separately into my computer audio interface or one of my hardware samplers for further processing.
I intend to install this on an Atari 2600 Jr for ideal portability, with either a single trrs output jack (with a trrs to 3 rca breakout cable) in place of the original 2600 Jr rca out, or possibly by adding two separate 1/4” audio output jacks, keeping the original rca for composite video output only. Stereo audio is my prime objective, but nice clean video would be a bonus.
I’ve PM’d Bryan, but as he’s busy, if anyone with info or suggestions could comment it’d be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

All I can tell you is that when Bryan sent me my last order for UAV boards about 3 weeks back, he advised me he didn't have any UACs available and he wasn't planning on offering them anymore as he stated they were a right PITA to make due to their small size. As for having a single output only, you have to keep in mind that none of the Atari 8-bit systems that I'm aware of actually provided stereo output on them. Yes there are multiple channels of audio that are output on the chips, but Atari never made left and right audio outputs for these older systems. So Bryan designed the UAC like his UAV to be minimal install with little to no modification of the actual system itself required.

I also believe he mentioned to me that he is hoping to incorporate the UAC into the UAV so it is an all in one solution. But I could be mistaken about that part...

Aside from this, I sent Bryan a PM I think middle of last week but haven't gotten a reply. I know he had an initial batch of UAVs made up to hopefully fill the demand until his next Revision, but he also mentioned to me that all the ones he had made were bad and he was having to send them back to be fixed. But I don't know the exact number he had made up or how many have or had been allocated.

• Like 1

Thanks CrossBow, that's a big help. So you're saying even the basic UAV mod won't provide access to the 2 audio outputs channels?

I've read on numerous posts that the 2600 was originally planned to have stereo speakers build right into the console (hence the speaker grills on older units) and that a number of original games were actually programmed in stereo.

I can see how this wouldn't be of interest to a gamer, but as I mean to use my 2600 Jr primarily as a synthesizer module using the SynthCart, stereo audio outputs would come in very handy.

Thanks again, CrossBow!

Bryan messaged me on June 12th that he was out of boards and that he was hoping to begin working on a new revision soon.

Thanks huey.

I meant to post here that Bryan took the time to message me this update on June 25th:

"I am currently out of all boards and won't be doing another run until I get some renovations done on my house. I do expect to offer new versions of both the UAV and AC at that time."

• Like 1