IGNORED

The UAV Rev. D Video Upgrade Thread

Bryan

Thanks CrossBow, that's a big help. So you're saying even the basic UAV mod won't provide access to the 2 audio outputs channels?

I've read on numerous posts that the 2600 was originally planned to have stereo speakers build right into the console (hence the speaker grills on older units) and that a number of original games were actually programmed in stereo.

I can see how this wouldn't be of interest to a gamer, but as I mean to use my 2600 Jr primarily as a synthesizer module using the SynthCart, stereo audio outputs would come in very handy.

Thanks again, CrossBow!

Yes the 2600 TIA chip does in fact output 2 channels of audio with a separate output for each off the chip and I should have been more clear that I specifically meant the 8-bit computers. You can get stereo from the 8-bit computers if you mod in a second pokey to provide that additional output line.

Yes the 2600 TIA chip does in fact output 2 channels of audio with a separate output for each off the chip and I should have been more clear that I specifically meant the 8-bit computers. You can get stereo from the 8-bit computers if you mod in a second pokey to provide that additional output line.

That's whole 'nuther ball of wax though. Very few titles on the 8-bit support stereo POKEY, though that didn't stop me from putting in the second POKEY on my 1088XEL build. :D Those that do sound great, however!

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm... Finally got around to installing this in an 800XL with the Freddy chip (PAL region), seems that I've still got my original problems intact after installation (vertical bars, sort of zig-zay-y). Only using composite since that's what I have available, the good news ofcourse is that it didn't blow up on me. Ground pad on UAV cut, wire directly to pin 2 on monitor port.

Any ideas of where to go from here?

Oh, was I not supposed to keep the beads as part of the new circuit?

post-64029-0-39506500-1532505241_thumb.jpg

post-64029-0-00579100-1532505519_thumb.jpg

Hmm... Finally got around to installing this in an 800XL with the Freddy chip (PAL region), seems that I've still got my original problems intact after installation (vertical bars, sort of zig-zay-y). Only using composite since that's what I have available, the good news ofcourse is that it didn't blow up on me. Ground pad on UAV cut, wire directly to pin 2 on monitor port.

You´re using the 800XLF mainboard. This one has three problematic points:

- Exchange the both 470 uF electrolytic capacitors found on the mainboard. One on the right side near the RAM chips, the other one in the lower left corner of the O.S. ROM. Although most Atari 8-Bit mainboards hasn´t issues with electrolytic caps, THIS mainboard has. For sure.

- The both inductors (upper left corner at your picture, L3 and L4). Remove them and use a little piece of wire each for replacement (or a 0R resistor).

- The missing smoothing cap for Freddie causes a lot of white noise at the CPU´s buss. Check out my mod in this thread.

• Like 1

You´re using the 800XLF mainboard. This one has three problematic points:

- Exchange the both 470 uF electrolytic capacitors found on the mainboard. One on the right side near the RAM chips, the other one in the lower left corner of the O.S. ROM. Although most Atari 8-Bit mainboards hasn´t issues with electrolytic caps, THIS mainboard has. For sure.

- The both inductors (upper left corner at your picture, L3 and L4). Remove them and use a little piece of wire each for replacement (or a 0R resistor).

- The missing smoothing cap for Freddie causes a lot of white noise at the CPU´s buss. Check out my mod in this thread.

You might have identified the issue I am having too. I suspect my UAV equipped 800XL also has the 800XLF logic board (and similar image quality issues). I shall investigate.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Thanks for the assist tf_hh though no luck so far, changed all electrolytics and added the changes you referenced (replacing l3/4 with wire and bypasd for freddy). Unfortunately I've still got the same thing so, leaning towards something with the pal side of things so ordered a new oscillator and a new inductor for that general area. Not for any other reason than running out of things to try replacing.

Thanks for the assist tf_hh though no luck so far, changed all electrolytics and added the changes you referenced (replacing l3/4 with wire and bypasd for freddy). Unfortunately I've still got the same thing so, leaning towards something with the pal side of things so ordered a new oscillator and a new inductor for that general area. Not for any other reason than running out of things to try replacing.

I take a 2nd look to your picture... please check this part:

post-15670-0-25491900-1532711237.png

You´ve to remove the right leg of the 100 pF capacitor and solder the wire to "COLOR" (at UAV PCB) to the free pad. Can´t see it really exact, but it looks like the cap is connected to both pads (on both sides). Then such a bad picture is normal.

2nd tipp: Exchange this coil (L6) also with a simple wire. The coil will reduce the +5 volt voltage used for the 4050 (where the UAV draws the power from) and the 1k resistors (pull-up for LUM0...3 and COLOR). At the UAV PCB is a voltage regulator from +5V to +4.5 volts. It´s a real good one, but if the input power is too low, then also such side-effects may happen.

• Like 4

I take a 2nd look to your picture... please check this part:

800XLF_Color_Signal.png

You´ve to remove the right leg of the 100 pF capacitor and solder the wire to "COLOR" (at UAV PCB) to the free pad. Can´t see it really exact, but it looks like the cap is connected to both pads (on both sides). Then such a bad picture is normal.

2nd tipp: Exchange this coil (L6) also with a simple wire. The coil will reduce the +5 volt voltage used for the 4050 (where the UAV draws the power from) and the 1k resistors (pull-up for LUM0...3 and COLOR). At the UAV PCB is a voltage regulator from +5V to +4.5 volts. It´s a real good one, but if the input power is too low, then also such side-effects may happen.

Thx, capacitor was lifted at some point though possibly not at the time of picture. Replaced L6 with wire as well. Tried the other UAV I had, no changes there either so back at looking for other things.

Installed UAV in the other non-freddy I got that have just a slight hint of bars, couldn't tell a difference before and after so removed it since it has a low shield so just not my luck. Think I just have to wait on random parts before I end up taking a hammer to the damn things :-)

Edited by TEBL

• 3 weeks later...

Bypassed Freddy? You mean you added the cap to Freddy right?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok, so I installed a couple of UAV C's in a 2600 and a 800 with mixed results.

The 2600 is what I would like to focus on. I've wired it on top of the existing 4050 and soldered the jumpers for the rev c 2600. I believe all my connections are correct. Anyone have any idea's of where I should start?

post-19048-0-14757400-1536193098.jpg

Edited by Stormbringer

• 1 month later...

Interesting..as when i placed my last order for them in July, he then sent me another PM back at the end of last month stating he had some extras left and if I wanted to buy them. I did of couse and he stated that was the last of the UAVs?

Eitherway I'm covered for the 7800s headed my way.

I heard the UAV wasn’t working very well with the 5200?

Speaking of which, Adamchevy, you are on my wait list. I will send you a PM when I'm ready for your console to be sent to me for work. If you are still interested that is?

Interesting..as when i placed my last order for them in July, he then sent me another PM back at the end of last month stating he had some extras left and if I wanted to buy them. I did of couse and he stated that was the last of the UAVs?

He's got a new batch of boards coming in a few weeks.

But did you get a reply about your order?

At some point Bryan will have to stop so he can finish up designing the next rev LOL!

I messaged him first, it took a couple of days before he followed up but I'm sure he's just a very busy person.

Edited by shoestring

Ok, so I installed a couple of UAV C's in a 2600 and a 800 with mixed results.

The 2600 is what I would like to focus on. I've wired it on top of the existing 4050 and soldered the jumpers for the rev c 2600. I believe all my connections are correct. Anyone have any idea's of where I should start?

I've gone an uninstalled the Rev C UAV out of my 6 switcher and re-installed in a sears 6 switcher using:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/246613-new-video-upgrade-coming-soon/page-22?do=findComment&comment=3480694

It has the exact same look. My other Rev C UAV is in an 800 and looks really good. Could I have a defective UAV? Please help.