IGNORED

The UAV Rev. D Video Upgrade Thread

Bryan

Hi Brian, new user to this Forum. Id like to buy a UAV or two. I have the original model 800 Computer and have been actively searching for a model 400 as well. I tried messaging you directly to inquire about a purchase but it said you arent accepting new messages. Please message me when you have time. thanks.

Have you considered the Super CPU Color Card for the 800 ?. This is another alternative and uses the same UAV circuit on the card.

• Like 2

I have not, but I will definitely look into it, thanks for mentioning it.

I am using one in my 800 - the stock video circuit had developed a fault and I did not want (nor really was able) to diagnose it. So I installed this card, and man, the output is spectacular.

• Like 2

I'm using Jurgen's card as well in my 800. I have the output going into my PVM and yes, the picture is spectacular. I think it would probably take a little bit more work to install than the UAV, since Stephen has both maybe he can comment further on the different challenges.

I installed the grey cable internally as I ran into some trouble trying to route it through the hole in the metal cage and I didn't want to punch a hole through the plastic case. I know some folks disconnect the RF modulator and route the grey cable through there but that wasn't an option for me.

Now the only I need is someone to do another Incognito run and I'll be set :)

• Like 3

Well, since my 800 already has the 5-pin DIN, what I did was wire the super-colour card's cable to it. I clipped the wires between the power/video PCB and mainboard, and soldered the new signals from the colour card. I felt bad about cutting the pins, but I was in a big hurry to make VCFMW.

I am not sure about putting a UAV in an 800. I installed one in my 1088XEL, but it was sort of made for it. I know if the 4050 is socketed it's an easy install.

Not sure if I have pictures of either installation. I'll take a look tonight and edit this post if I do.

• Like 2

Well, since my 800 already has the 5-pin DIN, what I did was wire the super-colour card's cable to it. I clipped the wires between the power/video PCB and mainboard, and soldered the new signals from the colour card. I felt bad about cutting the pins, but I was in a big hurry to make VCFMW.

I am not sure about putting a UAV in an 800. I installed one in my 1088XEL, but it was sort of made for it. I know if the 4050 is socketed it's an easy install.

Not sure if I have pictures of either installation. I'll take a look tonight and edit this post if I do.

I remember seeing your thread and that was the way I did mine except I just lifted the end of some components at the video output section and soldered to those points.

Thanks for the videos FJC, this is the first I've heard of the Super color CPU card, it's interesting what I overlook if there is no immediate interest, since I just recently got an 800. Hopefully I can use the Incognito bit one day too. I'm sitting here laughing at your troubles with the ribbon cables and the whole process really, because I could be watching myself during a hardware hacking session. :grin: Reminds me of my PBI installation troubles.

Edited by Gunstar

Two part video series on the Super Color CPU card here if it's any help:

Great video. I wish I'd seen this before I did mine because it would have saved me some trouble and time, I did see the one you did for the 400 though. I was getting some vertical banding as well, so I still needed to connect the gnds from the green vertical block as well. I recall that I soldered the ground wires on the opposite end together then to the gnd of C176 ( which was a convenient spot ).

I just finished installing a UAV into an 800XL and the colors all look faded. I didn't have color before I installed the UAV because I am using luma/chroma so I don't know if they were faded before I installed the UAV. Is there any particular IC or set of resistors/capacitors that would cause faded colors.

I just finished installing a UAV into an 800XL and the colors all look faded. I didn't have color before I installed the UAV because I am using luma/chroma so I don't know if they were faded before I installed the UAV. Is there any particular IC or set of resistors/capacitors that would cause faded colors.

I assume you tried adjusting the color potentiometer on the board?

• Like 1

Yes, I have tried serveral things to insure that the UAV is getting the proper voltage. I read 4.85 with my multimeter. I have another XL that has similar symptoms that I had done a SV 2.1 mod on. I was wondering if it is early signs of GTIA failure. I haven't run the tests using the SALT cart but I don't know that it would give correct info once the system has mods applied. I wonder if it could be the color pot. I have a couple and I might just change one out to see.

Hi!

Did you use the right jumper settings? (Rev. D)....when I installed my first one into an 600XL i had the wrong settings and the colors were faded.

Greetings,

Jens.

I checked everything except the most obvious, the monitor settings were on full bright.

That would do it! LOL

I once called an engineer to repair a VT320 with a dead screen when the brightness was just set too low. It's a mistake you only make once :)

Edited by Mr Robot
  • Like 1

I checked everything except the most obvious, the monitor settings were on full bright.

Opps I missed the meaning of this when you first posted. So can we assume that all is good now that you have adjusted the brightness?

I just finished installing a UAV in a previously unmodified 1200XL and I have the vertical bars that were a problem in an earlier post. I couldn't find where the problem was ever resolved. The color is correct but the picture is so sharp that it seems to sharply define each pixel on the screen and each one is bordered with a fine black line. The trim pot has had no effect. The picture was much better on my other 1200XL that has a Super Video 2.1 mod.

I just finished installing a UAV in a previously unmodified 1200XL and I have the vertical bars that were a problem in an earlier post. I couldn't find where the problem was ever resolved. The color is correct but the picture is so sharp that it seems to sharply define each pixel on the screen and each one is bordered with a fine black line. The trim pot has had no effect. The picture was much better on my other 1200XL that has a Super Video 2.1 mod.

I have two 1200XL’s with UAV boards (one older Rev C, one Rev D). The picture is excellent on both, though the Rev C is more prone to the vertical lines than the Rev D, which is caused by the DRAM refresh - do you have a ground wire between the video DIN and the UAV?