IGNORED

The UAV Rev. D Video Upgrade Thread

Bryan

Forgot to mention one last (but important) step for final tuning / accuracy, which only comes with experience and hitting brick-walls (valid for NTSC):

• Adjust left-most (darkest) color of BAR #A (hex) on above chart UNTIL:

• You obtain as close as a DARK, GRAYISH blue tone as possible (not greenish, not light or deep pure blue), ***AND***
    • Color rows #1 (hex) and #F (hex) are STILL DIFFERENT (!)
  • Please, IGNORE Salt Diagnostic's Color Adjustment procedure, as it will render a machine with 240 colors only. I later confirmed that it DOES NOT WORK with today's NTSC signal decoding.

Here are some samples (please, forgive white-balance / bluish-tint of smart-phone camera & lack of gamma compensation. Click images for optimal clarity):

attachicon.gifIMG_1540-web.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_1541-web.jpg

(TOP title-bar of Galactic Chart map ALSO shows same color as shields, so you can see clearly what type of blue you should be getting).

That would give you the extra last bit of juice and assurance on color reproduction (NTSC) assuming you have NO OTHER tools or means for more sophisticated work.

Cheers!

Folks,

I am happy to announce that Bryan has agreed to let The Brewing Academy produce all versions of the UAV rev. D. As with all of the products we produce, they will be offered for as long as possible on both the website and eBay. You may also PM me here for details on how to order.

I have ordered parts and boards from various sources and I am confident that all versions will be available for sale on or about 15 February. It would be sooner, but most of the companies I am working with will be taking the next two weeks off for Chinese New year.

Feel free to contact me for information. Pricing should remain about the same (maybe +$1-2 at most). Let me know if you have any questions!

-M

• Like 16

Folks,

I am happy to announce that Bryan has agreed to let The Brewing Academy produce all versions of the UAV rev. D. As with all of the products we produce, they will be offered for as long as possible on both the website and eBay. You may also PM me here for details on how to order.

I have ordered parts and boards from various sources and I am confident that all versions will be available for sale on or about 15 February. It would be sooner, but most of the companies I am working with will be taking the next two weeks off for Chinese New year.

Feel free to contact me for information. Pricing should remain about the same (maybe +$1-2 at most). Let me know if you have any questions!

One for me :)

Edited by olliraa

Folks,

-M

Excellent news! The boards are too excellent to not be produced! Thanks for letting us know.

Folks,

-M

MacRorie, you have a PM !

cheers

MJ

I have setup a pre-order list. I am not asking for any payment at this time. If you wish to pre-pay, see below.

If you wish to get on a list, please send me the following:

1. AtariAge nickname

2. Email address

3. Quantity & type of UAV rev. D you wish to order

4. Shipping country

Once I have the UAVs in hand, I will send out an invoice with a payment method.

If you are just dying to give me your money:

Prices are as follows:

$30.00 Plug-In - A Plug-In unit for the CD4050 socket

$25.00 Basic - A basic version that must be wired in (missing the pin-headers and green terminal strip
$30.00 Kit -A basic version with the components to make it a plug-in version for custom installations.

Shipping for up to 16 (do a group order, save on shipping!)

United States:

• 1-4 units $ 5
  • 5-12 units $ 7.50
  • 13-16 units $10

Rest of World:

• 1-16 units $15
  • Sorry USPS is what it is

Payment:

When Available: Invoices will be sent once UAVs are available. Make sure macrorie@thebrewingacademy.com is not routing to your junk mailbox! ;-)

01 February: The website at https://www.thebrewingacademy.com/ will take orders starting no later than 01 Feb.

Immediate: https://PayPal.me/TheBrewingAcademy/ email confirmation will be sent upon receipt

• Like 4

Can't help but notice that the price just went up by $5.

Considering the price hasn’t gone up since Bryan first released the Rev C several years ago, and considering Marlin is now providing continued indefinite access to a product that’s proven to be in pretty high demand among active Atari hobbyists, I don’t think it’s really that much of a big deal.

• Like 10

I have a 1200XL with a UAV and I also have one with the SuperVideo 2.1 upgrade and I can't see any difference in video quality. The UAV does require much less time even though it also costs more.

Sometimes it also depends upon the monitor, as in how good is it's internal processing of the signal. I did the ClearPic 2000 mods on my 1200XL, and thought it looked pretty darn good, but later when I started trying it on various monitors this wasn't always the case. However when I installed a UAV in that same machine and then did the multi monitor testing, the UAV got a big win for consistency. Bottom line is that the UAV will always look good, whereas some of the other video mods might only look good on certain monitors. Sadly I also discovered this when trying to roll my own video output circuitry on the 1088XLD, and through a similar discovery process ended up going back to the original idea of using the UAV instead.

I've also sent a PM as I want one for my Atari 400.

But I'm wondering also about a card that I've heard that improves the sound, but I don't know where to search for it.

Yes, Bryan made an Ultimate Audio board (I believe that is the name). I asked and he said he doesnt have them available anymore, but I certainly dont want to put words into his mouth. :)

But I'm wondering also about a card that I've heard that improves the sound, but I don't know where to search for it.

I think you're referring to the SCCC made by Jurgen. I don't use the audio amp on the card because I use the existing jack ( not an external one ) and the built in amp in my 800 is loud enough. Some say it improves the audio or is louder, frankly I can't tell the difference. But I am going through a PVM which doesn't have the best speaker!

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/260646-new-hardware-atari-400800-super-color-cpu-card/

Edited by shoestring

I think you're referring to the SCCC made by Jurgen.

No, he’s not.

Bryan briefly produced a really tiny audio mixing/output board that was installed by literally mounting over the legs of two adjacent resistors in the audio circuits of some systems. Originally intended for something like a 7800 to mix audio from a POKEY cartridge and TIA in the system, or to provide audio out on A8 machines like the 400 and 600XL that don’t have audio out lines in a DIN jack.

As far as I know he only made one run of these and they haven’t been available for some time.

• Like 2

I've been watching again the video where I heard about it (Youtube video "Atari 400 Retrobriting Disaster & Fix? + A/V Upgrade | Win A Desolderer!" ), and it's the Audio Companion (AC) made by Bryan.

I don't know anything about it.

Edit: I've just found the thread here http://atariage.com/forums/blog/695/entry-14392-all-about-the-audio-companion/

Offtopic: BTW, Perifractic didn't find a kit of caps for the Atari 400 and in fact there wasn't any available, but I contacted Console5 and they made and sold a kit for me with the right -radial and axial- caps ;)

https://ibb.co/tH50zhC

Edited by Retrofan_AKReal
  • Like 1

I once called an engineer to repair a VT320 with a dead screen when the brightness was just set too low. It's a mistake you only make once :)

My oscilloscope was destined to the dumpster cause there was no picture, I picked it off the pile took it home and turned up the brightness, been using it since 2010 (its from 1988)

• Like 5

There is/was a small board to get the audio off a 400. IIRC it was not about improving it but just to combine two audio signals from the main board into one to go to the monitor/speaker.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

I have a 1200XL with a UAV and I also have one with the SuperVideo 2.1 upgrade and I can't see any difference in video quality. The UAV does require much less time even though it also costs more.

Ive done the same super video 2.1 upgrade in my 600xl and 800xl. I dont have my UAV yet but Ive also installed the SCCC in the 800 which uses the same circuit borrowed from Bryan. The 800 has a slightly better picture on my PVM but its hard to notice the difference on the 1084. Maybe Ill take some comparison shots. I was really impressed with the video quality in the 800 and I cant wait to get the UAV installed in my 65XE.

Edited by shoestring

I've added myself to this list, but my main reason was to see if UAV helped with the general muddiness of the 800XL Secam display.

does anyone know if UAV will help?