IGNORED

The UAV Rev. D Video Upgrade Thread

Bryan

I forgot about those pictures, good stuff. I just compared the pictures against my 800XL install.

The wire connections all match up with mine.

The jumpers match up with mine.

It looks like there's some added solder on the +5 and G pads, or maybe a difference between the Bryan & MacRorie produced boards, but these two pads were bridged when I received them, did you cut the traces between them? I can't see that clearly.

I also installed mine into a socket piggybacked onto the 4050 chip. I think that was to keep the RF modulator functional.

Does the computer run fine with the UAV removed and the original 4050 replaced? (To confirm that some random solder blob didn't short something out...)

The Atari was running fine before attempting this upgrade. After installation, I turned on the computer and got very badly distorted video. I can't even describe what it looked like, just a jumbled mess. I turned off the computer, reseated just the UAV board, and turned on the computer again. This time the computer didn't even turn on. No power light, nothing.

I was randomly turning the computer off and on at various times and at one time the computer DID turn on (power light came on) but there was no video. I turned the computer off, then on again, and again had no power.

I did a more complete check of the installation photos you posted earlier, and nothing seems amiss (configuration jumpers look correct for 800XL).

Have you removed the UAV and put the computer back to the way it was? If so, does the computer now work and produce proper video?

I noticed you seem to be saying that the computer's power-up was inconsistent after doing the UAV installation, to the point of not even turning ON. If this is only true with the UAV in place, then it suggests that the UAV is drawing a lot of power which should not be the case. However this does concern me and makes me question the stability of your power supply. Have you checked it's output voltage both by itself, and also when powering your computer?

• 3 weeks later...

Few questions... sorry if these are already answered in the thread. If so, please point me.

1) My NTSC 800XL already has the "Quick & Easy Video Upgrade for 800XL" that Bryan posted about here:

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/41580-quick-easy-video-upgrade-for-800xl/

Do I need to undo this modification prior to installing a UAV?

2) Similar to first question, my NTSC 1200XL already has the ClearPic 2002 modification posted here:

http://retrobits.net/atari/clearpic.shtml

3) Concerning the UAV.XEX program... I assume this is software to assist calibrating the UAV. What is the technique for this for calibrating both Composite and S-Video (Chroma/Luma) on an NTSC 800XL and NTSC 1200XL?

Few questions... sorry if these are already answered in the thread. If so, please point me.

1) My NTSC 800XL already has the "Quick & Easy Video Upgrade for 800XL" that Bryan posted about here:

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/41580-quick-easy-video-upgrade-for-800xl/

2) Similar to first question, my NTSC 1200XL already has the ClearPic 2002 modification posted here:

http://retrobits.net/atari/clearpic.shtml

3) Concerning the UAV.XEX program... I assume this is software to assist calibrating the UAV. What is the technique for this for calibrating both Composite and S-Video (Chroma/Luma) on an NTSC 800XL and NTSC 1200XL?

1. I put a UAV into an 800XL after Bryan's earlier Quick & Easy upgrade. I think all I needed to do was cut the pad on the UAV to provide the +5V for the board - I remember the Quick & Easy mod runs a cleaner +5V signal from up near the power jack so I just re-directed that line to the UAV, if I recall correctly.

2. I haven't done the ClearPic mod to as 1200XL, but I did do a simpler version recommended by others here that involved fewer component swaps; gave a great improvement for minimal effort. I later put a UAV into that 1200XL without further changes.

3. The UAV.XEX program is merely a color-bar generator used to adjust the color-phase pot on the UAV. It shouldn't have much if any visible effect at all on a Chroma/Luma connection.

1. I put a UAV into an 800XL after Bryan's earlier Quick & Easy upgrade. I think all I needed to do was cut the pad on the UAV to provide the +5V for the board - I remember the Quick & Easy mod runs a cleaner +5V signal from up near the power jack so I just re-directed that line to the UAV, if I recall correctly.

I finished installing the UAV on my modded 800XL. It is working well so I think I might be done. But I was wondering what you said about the +5V signal as my previous mod also modified that like this:

"L5 & new power lead

The same trace that brings 5V to the video circuits also powers the clock oscillator circuits. 1 clock circuit for NTSC, and 2 for PAL. The shared power route can cause faint vertical bars to appear in the picture. The purpose of inductor L5 was to deal with this noise, but it doesn't really do enough.

Remove L5 (or at least lift one leg of it out of the board). This will break the old 5V path.

Solder a wire from the front lead of C3 (electrolytic to the right of the power jack) to the front hole of L5 (or to the front lead of C51 next to it). If you run this wire along the RF modulator, it should clear the shield. 20 or 24 gauge wire should work well."

So I am wondering if I should do anything special with this previous 5V modification along with the UAV?

Here is a picture of mine where you can see the 5V modification (black wire running alongside the RF modulator:

post-25-0-86882000-1557696754_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Can anyone tell me where to pull the color video from on a XEGS board? I found someone's install pic of a XEGS but they do not specify where they pulled color from.

I pulled direct from PIN 21 of the GTIA, which is COL - Color Frequency and it seems to work ok direct.

Just want to make sure it's ok to leave that way long term or if a resistor on the board works best?

Edited by mooshue

Hi all,

This could be a dumb question but would this mod remove the vertical banding on a CRT?

The current image quality from my 65XE is nasty, especially on lighter backgrounds, the lines really stand out.

I use a composite to Scart lead (no S-Video on my TV) to connect and from what I read the mod seems to be mostly people wanting to connect to an LCD screen.

Cheers.

Edited by PeteMcGann

3 minutes ago, PeteMcGann said:

Hi all,

This could be a dumb question but would this mod remove the vertical banding on a CRT?

The current image quality from my 65XE is nasty, especially on lighter backgrounds, the lines really stand out.

I use a composite to Scart lead (no S-Video on my TV) to connect and from what I read the mod seems to be mostly people wanting to connect to an LCD screen.

Cheers.

This mod has nothing to do with people connecting to LCD or LED screens. It’s all about cleaning up and improving the output of Atari computers and (to a lesser extent) adding composite/S-video to consoles.

It will improve and minimize any vertical banding but probably won’t remove them entirely - those lines are called DRAM refresh lines, and are basically noise on the system ground plane from the memory refresh signals. The UAV will help limit them and make them less visible for sure, however. 

On 4/14/2019 at 12:54 AM, Brian W. said:
On 4/12/2019 at 11:59 PM, SlagOMatic said:

Atari 400 XL – Update and Sound Question

Hi Guys (...)

I watched the you tube video from “Perifractic's Retro Recipes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JG_9W-LzWXc&feature=youtu.be

And so I purchased one of the AV mod units from the Brewing Academy – This arrived and I today looked into getting this fitted.

If you have a 400 XL, this ‘might’ be of help - Here’s what I did:

• Open the unit & disassemble – be careful not to snap the little tag at the bottom of the keyboard. Remove the power board, metal casing and take the RAM & processor boards from the main board.

So you now just have the main board

• Set the jumpers on the AV mod board to the 400 XL positions (see instructions)
  • Take a piece of link wire - around 3 inches in length. Strip a few mm off each end to expose some wire. Solder one end of the link wire to the ‘inside’ leg of capacitor C187
  • Remove the chip marked “TC4050BP” and put the new Video mod board into the socket.
  • Put the other end of the link wire into the green connector – the outside terminal
  • Then take a single phono wire – about 1 / 2 meters of cable and strip the ends to expose:
    • The outer shielding – Put into the ‘Ground’ terminal – The inside terminal
    • The centre Core – put into the ‘Composite’ terminal – The next one in
  • Remove the RF lead from the case of the machine and put to one side.
  • Then reassemble and the machine, finding a suitable path out of the metal casing and out of the back.
  • This should give you perfect AV composite signal from your 400 – It did for me anyway...    () Baz

I've just installed it but I must have made something wrong because my Tv can't see the Composite searching among the sources for it with the Atari turned on even.

What I've made is to use another device that uses Composite, select the Source with the Tv (it found it fast) and then to connect and switch on my Atari 400 instead. It showed something on screen, but awful. It was working though.  If I insert the Video chip again, the RF connection works right like before and everything's fine.

And it's not my UAV Rev D. that fails as I had another as do-it-yourself kit that I've mounted and I've tried both with the same results. The jumpers seem to be ok.

I guess that it has to be something very wrong to not show the Composite Source even.

Do I also solder a ground cable to the board?. If so, where do I take it from?.

Attached a photo of the second board I've tried: the do-it-yourself one.

Edit: I have to say that I've made a mod soldering 4 cables and I'm using a new board to have 48K. I've tried the BattleZone cart and it was working although it's shown very very badly with the UAV board by now. I'm sure that it will look nice using RF.

IMG-20190622-013031.jpg

Edited by Retrofan_AKReal

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/16/2019 at 11:11 AM, MacRorie said:

The Audio board is a completely different upgrade that Bryan made. I have reached out to him about it. Will keep you informed.

I would like to include this write up in the manual that gets sent out, if that is okay.

Hi MacRorie.

I plan on ordering a few UAVs next month, but I will need an audio circuit.  What is the status of the Audio Companion board?

I know there are other circuits out there, but it would be much more desirable (for me) to just order the boards along with the UAVs.  (Honestly, I'm not even sure what boards are available.  While I'm not afraid of wiring up a circuit, a premade board is just easier and cleaner.)

Thanks.

On 7/8/2019 at 6:04 PM, Chak said:

Hi MacRorie.

I plan on ordering a few UAVs next month, but I will need an audio circuit.  What is the status of the Audio Companion board?

I know there are other circuits out there, but it would be much more desirable (for me) to just order the boards along with the UAVs.  (Honestly, I'm not even sure what boards are available.  While I'm not afraid of wiring up a circuit, a premade board is just easier and cleaner.)

Thanks.

Sorry, I have not been having this thread send me emails.  I have prototypes of some audio boards (not Bryan's) in hand.  I have to build, install, and test them.  I will be sending out a few to people just as soon as I have a chance to do the above.  Give me till end of the month and then ping me again.

-M 

On 7/9/2019 at 10:30 AM, tane said:

@MacRorie: The Turbo Freezer would be an excellent new product. There is a lot of interest, and it's a complex PCB to be made at home. Docs and demonstration Video.

May 23, 2019:

Image1.png.ada746fd0e723c26be438a560fa13793.png

That would be great, but I do not see where the project went.  If someone is still creating this, I would be happy to license and produce it.

I recently installed the UAV Rev D into my 1200XL. It's not terribly hard to do if you're handy with a soldering iron, are willing to slog through the 39 screens of messages in this thread for tips, and can read a schematic. ?

I drafted up a step-by-step installation guide. It is attached to this message. I have one more kit that I will be installing in a 800XL and I will be documenting that process as well. Now I'm kind of on fire to order a few more kits to install in my 600XL and 400. :)

I welcome comments and feedback on my document.

Detailed Instructions on Installing the Ultimate Atari Video Upgrade Kit (2019-07-10).pdf

• Like 8

12 hours ago, MacRorie said:

That would be great, but I do not see where the project went.  If someone is still creating this, I would be happy to license and produce it.

Turbo Freezer useful links:

There is already a 2011 design with schematics, firmware and manuals. I think you could get in touch with @HiassofT

1. AtariAge: Turbo Freezer 2011
  2. AtariAge: Turbo Freezer 2016
  3. AtariAge: Turbo Freezer 2018, user @SvenCarstensen was working on, but the project, as the TB, is frozen...
  4. ABBUC: Turbo Freezer 2005
  5. ABBUC: Turbo Freezer 2011Info 2
  6. TB 2005 & 2011 documentation, schematics, manuals,  and files

UAV:

9 hours ago, 6BQ5 said:

I drafted up a step-by-step installation guide. It is attached to this message. I have one more kit that I will be installing in a 800XL and I will be documenting that process as well.

The best easy to follow professional guide in one file. It would be nice if you could make some brief for the XE line also, there isn't a guide yet, schematics attached.

130XE.jpg

800XL.jpg

freezer2011-full-rom-3.10.zip freezer-eagle-files.zip freezer-logic-121118.zip FreezerManualEn-3.10-130330.pdf

Edited by tane

2 hours ago, tane said:

UAV:

The best easy to follow professional guide in one file. It would be nice if you could make some brief for the XE line also, there isn't a guide yet, schematics attached.

Hmmm .... 130 XE? Seeing that it already has S-Video output capabilities I am probably going to do that one last. We'll see. Right now my tentative order of installation is :

1) 1200XL because it has the worst video output quality - Done!

2) 800XL because it is the most widely owned 8-bit machine

3) 600XL because it needs some work to get a DIN connector properly installed in it

4) 400 because it will probably be the hardest to upgrade considering it needs an "Ultimate Atari Audio" upgrade

5) 800, if it even needs it since the output is so clean already

6) 130XE because nothing is socketed