IGNORED

The UAV Rev. D Video Upgrade Thread

Bryan

well it's not like a crt these days... what make and model insignia screen is that?

usually there is a spot for red green and blue adjust... tint... temperature (warm normal cold etc)... as well as colorspace etc...

while your at it adjust brightness and contrast...

i'll check for the specifics unless you have the manual or dig it up yourself

after you've adjusted the screen, you can further dial it in using the Atari Color pot

Edited by _The Doctor__

well it's not like a crt these days... what make and model insignia screen is that?
usually there is a spot for red green and blue adjust... tint... temperature (warm normal cold etc)... as well as colorspace etc...
i'll check for the specifics unless you have the manual or dig it up yourself

Never mind. I am being dense. Yes I can adjust my set. For some unknown reason I thought that was an adjustment in the 800xl. Doh! Thanks for putting up with my ignorance. Doh!

• 1 month later...
Just now, cypher007 said:

anyone got a tap point pic for a light sixer C012283 rev B PAL from 1978. id like to fit it using wires to tap points rather than ontop of the CD4050.

WIN_20210320_17_09_18_Pro.jpg

The signals to the 4050 generally come from TIA directly. You can look at schematics (available on-line) to see if there's another component handy like the leg of a resistor but it's almost easier just to map them out using your multimeter in continuity mode. 

have you got a copy of the install manual for the rev D not sure where mines gone. as i havent got a scoobies which TIA pins i need or how to fit the audio board. thank you.

p.s. ive already fitted the jumper setup before i realised i could add wires direct. i assume there is still the possibility of connecting to the relevant holes next to the jumper bank?

I just installed a UAV board from TBA into an 800XL a few minutes ago.  It cleared up the picture immensely but I still have no color.  I am using a Commodore 1702 CRT and a cable that splits out Chroma and Luma.  And the same monitor and cable work fine on a stock 130XE... plenty of color on the XE.

What am I missing here?

Connections:

G - R66 (top)

CV - MB where L9 used to be connected

LU - MB where L7 used to be connected

CH - Pin 5 on video port

G - n/c

Co In - R45 (top)

Edited by bf2k+

5 minutes ago, bf2k+ said:

I just installed a UAV board from TBA into an 800XL a few minutes ago.  It cleared up the picture immensely but I still have no color.  I am using a Commodore 1702 CRT and a cable that splits out Chroma and Luma.  And the same monitor and cable work fine on a stock 130XE... plenty of color on the XE.

What am I missing here?

Check your wiring - it sounds like you have LUMA connected without CHROMA. Did you wire the COL IN terminal on the UAV to the colorburst signal on the 800XL motherboard? Post pics of your installation for further help.

1 minute ago, DrVenkman said:

Check your wiring - it sounds like you have LUMA connected without CHROMA. Did you wire the COL IN terminal on the UAV to the colorburst signal on the 800XL motherboard? Post pics of your installation for further help.

I wired Co In to the top of R45 per the instructions.  Is there more?

5 minutes ago, bf2k+ said:

What version of the manual are you using?  1.94 has a correction.  Verify these are your connections.

Swap L9 & L7

L9 is to Luma, L7 is to Chroma Comp Video

Picture1.png

4 minutes ago, bf2k+ said:

Are you sure you tapped into the correct resistor? There's quite a dense row of components there and it would be easy to get the wrong one by accident.

But if you have the correct component, have you wired the Chroma line from the output of the UAV to the DIN  jack? If so, be sure you wired it to the correct location there too.

Again, photos of the installation are much more helpful than component designations for a quick diagnosis. 

1 hour ago, bf2k+ said:

Looks like I need to swap L9 & L7 wires.  I was using manual 1.92.

Oh well... I'll take it apart after I eat!

Swapped the wires going to L9 and L7 mb points.  It still didn't fix it.

Duhhh... adjusted the color pot and away we go...  The pot was turned all the way down on this 800XL.  I think I purposely did it years ago to make the horrible XL display more readable and promptly forgot about it.  

Now it's the best looking 800XL video I have ever seen.  I guess I'll buy 25 more UAVs... that should about cover them. (NOT)

But I might do one or two more.

By the way, the document I downloaded from TBA a few minutes ago was 1.93... not 1.94.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Panther said:

What does it take to get NTSC artifacting working with the UAV's s-video?  A number of people have repeated a rumor that artifacting doesn't function over s-video, but this is certainly not the case on non-UAV systems.

Well, there are relatively few non-UAV NTSC systems with S-video. The 800, and the 130XE do. Do NTSC 65XE’s have a video jack with chroma/luma?

I know for a fact my stock-video 800’s don’t display artifacting over S-video. Do you have some examples of a system that does?

18 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

Well, there are relatively few non-UAV NTSC systems with S-video. The 800, and the 130XE do. Do NTSC 65XE’s have a video jack with chroma/luma?

I know for a fact my stock-video 800’s don’t display artifacting over S-video. Do you have some examples of a system that does?

All my 800s have always displayed artifacting just fine, as have 800XLs that have had the chroma pins connected, 130XEs, and even my 600XL once the missing components were added.  I never had an issue with not seeing color in games such as Ultima III and DROL.

1 minute ago, Panther said:

S-video.  Haven't used composite since my very first 800 when I used an Amdek monitor.

What, you suspect I might just be seeing things?

Yes. We all want you to inconvenience yourself solely for our amusement.

Hint: asking for help while simultaneously being an ass to the people likely to help you isn't usually considered to be the best of ideas.

• Like 1

I'm not the person who claimed that there are few Atari's with s-video capability.  What kind of statement is that?  Most of them supported s-video stock.  Granted, the popular 800XL lacked that chroma line for some odd reason, but at least it's an easy fix.

4 minutes ago, Panther said:

I'm not the person who claimed that there are few Atari's with s-video capability.  What kind of statement is that?  Most of them supported s-video stock.  Granted, the popular 800XL lacked that chroma line for some odd reason, but at least it's an easy fix.

You're right.  That completely excuses you from being an ass for no very good reason at all.  My bad!