IGNORED

The UAV Rev. D Video Upgrade Thread

Bryan

36 minutes ago, MacRorie said:

Yet, here we are still discussing how the manual should or should not be written when it seems that the manual in its current incarnation worked as intended.

If it worked as intended, we wouldn't be having this discussion.  As someone with a PhD in Communications, I'd expect you to understand that.

And while I've put up with your little digs so far, they're both unnecessary and uncalled for, particularly when I've volunteered to assist with remediation.  All they really serve to do is make it appear as though you can't handle the slightest bit of commentary that might be in any way critical of the manual.

Edited by x=usr(1536)

4 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

If it worked as intended, we wouldn't be having this discussion.  As someone with a PhD in Communications, I'd expect you to understand that.

And while I've put up with your little digs so far, they're both unnecessary and uncalled for, particularly when I've volunteered to assist with remediation.  All they really serve to do is make it appear as though you can't handle the slightest bit of commentary that might be in any way critical of the manual.

Absolutely correct.  Deepest apologies.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Have a quick question. Now this may have been answered some where in the 52 pages of this thread but i looked and did not find it.

I just installed the uav in a 600xl and find a "black" screen when turned on... No I do not know if the 600 was working before but had no way to check the video with out adding the uav. no rf monitor...

Started to check things out(because I have seen other people say the voltage where low 4.75 or so ) and found the input voltage at the connector/switch was 4.95vdc.. Looks good!!! Then I checked the 2 points on the uav and found the voltage there to be 4.65vdc.. WOW what a drop. I unplugged the uav and measured the voltage at the connector, for the 4050, and found the 4.95vdc ...Interesting..How much current does the uav draw??? Now I can wire 5.00(4,95vdc) direct to the uav and see that happens but it is not a good Idea to parallel two line carrying the same voltage, not knowing the parts between.. Can set up current loops. Any Ideas???

9 minutes ago, Peter Rabitt said:

Have a quick question. Now this may have been answered some where in the 52 pages of this thread but i looked and did not find it.

I just installed the uav in a 600xl and find a "black" screen when turned on... No I do not know if the 600 was working before but had no way to check the video with out adding the uav. no rf monitor...

Well, the first things I would do is double-check your UAV connections, just to make sure.  Make sure all the wires are where they are supposed to be and that you have good continuity.  I say this as someone who has installed it "perfectly" more than once and then realized I missed something.  I would *especially* make sure that you are getting good continuity from the terminal strip to the monitor port.  Check from the solder point UNDEr the terminal strip and not from the screw as the screw is not always a good indicator of continuity from the UAV to the port.

9 minutes ago, Peter Rabitt said:

Started to check things out(because I have seen other people say the voltage where low 4.75 or so ) and found the input voltage at the connector/switch was 4.95vdc.. Looks good!!! Then I checked the 2 points on the uav and found the voltage there to be 4.65vdc.. WOW what a drop. I unplugged the uav and measured the voltage at the connector, for the 4050, and found the 4.95vdc ...Interesting..How much current does the uav draw??? Now I can wire 5.00(4,95vdc) direct to the uav and see that happens but it is not a good Idea to parallel two line carrying the same voltage, not knowing the parts between.. Can set up current loops. Any Ideas???

I do not think the UAV is not getting enough power.  Although anything is possible, I do not think it is probable.  Would definitely double-check and make sure the grounds are in place. (See above).

The fact that you could not verify video before makes this a little bit of a "shot in the dark" (pun intended), but keep plugging.  Also, do you know if you are getting *any* signal out?  In other words, does your monitor tell you it is getting a signal and it is just a black screen or is it not getting anything?  If it is the former, then the UAV is putting out something.  If the latter, then the UAV is either not getting a signal to put out orthe connections are not secure and, thus, no signal to the monitor.

Also - and I say this having put a UAV into a 600XL myself a couple weeks ago, be sure the jumpers are set correctly for the 600XL. My UAV arrived with the jumpers set for the 800XL but the manual shows the details for all the different models so it’s no problem if you need to verify or change them. 

Also, inspect everything around the UAV to be sure there’s no debris or any accidentally shorted traces on your video jack installation. 

2 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

Also - and I say this having put a UAV into a 600XL myself a couple weeks ago, be sure the jumpers are set correctly for the 600XL. My UAV arrived with the jumpers set for the 800XL but the manual shows the details for all the different models so it’s no problem if you need to verify or change them. 

Good call.  The default for all A8 UAVs is to ship with the 800XL & all XE configuration.

• Like 1

THANK YOU for all the ideas...

The voltage is still low,(4.60vdc)but I checked the OHMS to the input connector and on the 5.0v line there is a 7.5OHM resistance.. The sch.(600xl pal) I have shows an inductor in series and a cap to gnd. Noise filter for the video ckt,maybe ...

Their are /is video sync and color burst... No data. Yes the monitor knows that the sync is their...

Double check all wires and they are working... the jumpers,on the UAV, appear to be correct on the board, I did change them..

Started to look beyond the UAV, Changed the GTIA, no effect on the output but did change some of the signals.(Voltage and noise) Changed the CPU and it  changed the output to very dark red with left hand side only vertical lines..

Question are all Antic chips the same?? I have a old 400/800 board that I borrowed the CPU and GTIA from but the ANTIC chip is a difference number...CO12296(800) the one in the 600 is CO21697, do they work the same???

This 600xl is 16k and as soon as it works, it will be a 64k, have the parts...

Peter

Well just for the time I found most of the problems...

I now have 3 BAD 6502c CPU's... that ended up so far as the main problem.

I have not gone back and put back the original chip (GTIA) but plain to AFTER I upgrade to 64k Memory...

Ran self test and all tested OK...

Still have the low voltage on the UAV but will work on that after I get the memory up to 64k...

Thanks for the Ideas and help.

Learning all the time... Still would like to know if the ANTIC chips are interchangeable!!

Peter

3 minutes ago, Peter Rabitt said:

Well just for the time I found most of the problems...

I now have 3 BAD 6502c CPU's... that ended up so far as the main problem.

I have not gone back and put back the original chip (GTIA) but plain to AFTER I upgrade to 64k Memory...

Ran self test and all tested OK...

Still have the low voltage on the UAV but will work on that after I get the memory up to 64k...

Thanks for the Ideas and help.

Learning all the time... Still would like to know if the ANTIC chips are interchangeable!!

Peter

Glad it all worked out.

• 1 month later...

I just installed a UAV in a 130XE and decided to see how it looked on a flat screen TV; when I hooked it up to the cvbs connector I got a "no signal" message on the TV. I get a composite picture on my DELL monitor and I when I go through a HDMI converter with composite I also get a picture.  Another 130XE that has the SV 2.1 mod gives a very good picture on the flat screen TV. Does anyone know why this happens and is there a fix.

same cord used for all connections out of the same output of the UAV /  or are you saying something from the other Atari outputs... I don't follow. there are a couple of threads that speak to using a differing wiring/jumpers of he UAV by revisions as well as weather a person leave the 4050 in or not

12 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

same cord used for all connections out of the same output of the UAV /  or are you saying something from the other Atari outputs... I don't follow. there are a couple of threads that speak to using a differing wiring/jumpers of he UAV by revisions as well as weather a person leave the 4050 in or not

Bottom line, the computer with the UAV gives me a composite picture on my Dell monitor, it does not give me a picture on the flat screen TV through the CVBS connector.  The same computer gives me a picture when I run my composite video through a converter with a HDMI output.  A different computer without the UAV gives me a composite picture on the Dell monitor, and on the flat screen TV through the CVBS connector, and through the converter.  Both computers using the same power supply and same AV cable.

Just a quick question...What does the P/S have to do with the video on one monitor and not a different one, but the other computer works??

Yes the VA cable would have an effect and maybe the wiring on the non-working one could have a big effect...

Also I have had a monitor reject the video because it was at the wrong resolution, but worked with a convertor for HDMI.. 

Need more information.. Lay it out very simply:

Computer 1 works with ....

computer2 does not work or does work with......

Maybe some one can figure it out for u

Peter

I don't know how I can explain it in any more detail than I already have. The computer with a UAV doesn't work with the cvbs connector on the flat screen TV, it does work with the composite connector on the Dell monitor.  The computer with a Supervideo 2.1 upgrade works with the cvbs connector on the flat screen TV and it works with the composite connector on the Dell monitor. 

if it wasn't properly bonded then it wasn't properly shielded... the ground not only completes a circuit but connects on one side of a shielded wire... and on old electronics shield does not terminate on both sides. The ground should terminate on both ends but the shield shouldn't. Sounds like you completed a ground circuit and it also restored shield... in any event your jail bars went away... so kudos! You did a thing! A good thing!

Edited by _The Doctor__

56 minutes ago, hueyjones70 said:

On a side note, I thought I had a bad UAV but a close inspection revealed a jumper pin that had not ben soldered in. Just a touch and it was good to go.

Apologies about that.  I will implement some more quality control. PM me your details, if you would.  Thanks again for your business!

• 4 weeks later...