IGNORED

The UAV Rev. D Video Upgrade Thread

Bryan

OK. This should do it. Let me know if you have questions or if your board seems different.

Here's a connection diagram I stole from somewhere:

2600A_COMP_SVID_STEREO_2x.png.fd0716f6a292dacd7a7a51bbe462f976.thumb.png.60b695c3b8f181cd43ca50d8a5a420e9.png

Video from Atari to UAV

Ignore the pins meant to plug into the CD4050. The wires from the Atari TIA get soldered to the corresponding jumper pins on the left half of the UAV. This is the video signal FROM the Atari TO the UAV. Remove all jumpers.

You will be connecting the following 5 wires:

SYNC - from TIA pin 2 to UAV jumper pin SYNC (see diagram below)

LUM0 - to UAV jumper pin LUM0 (see diagram below)

LUM1 - to UAV jumper pin LUM1 (see diagram below)

LUM2 - to UAV jumper pin LUM2 (see diagram below)

COLOR - to UAV COLOR IN - bottom-most pin of green jumper block (see diagram)

post-39934-0-56559600-1504899062.thumb.png.89cf1aa362f82bbb7eaf76ca2a6d7140.png

Audio from Atari directly to RCA audio jacks

Audio CAN come directly from TIA pins 12 or 13 - they're already bridged on the Atari.

However, I picked it up from the other side of a capacitor that's already on the Atari, see my diagram. Taking it from this capacitor protects the TIA a bit better. I bridged the audio to both L and R jacks together. It's mono, but this way you get two jacks so you can have sound out of both sides of a stereo amplifier. Audio ground can be shared with the video ground from the UAV (I tied the grounds together for all of the jacks.)

I didn't want to solder directly to the TIA, and I didn't have good access to underneath the board for my installation so I soldered the TIA wires instead to the component legs that each TIA pin is connected to. Here's a diagram of that:

2600detail.thumb.jpg.a157e5b6554a7e915b3c5f80ed257639.jpg

Power and GND to the UAV from the Atari

I picked this off from two capacitors up near the player 1 joystick port.

Power: The upper pin of capacitor C236 (see my photo,you can see the large power trace it connects to at the top)

GND: The rightmost pin(s) of C228/229, which branches off the large grounding area for the shield. (see my photo)

These both go to the two leftmost pads on the UAV, see diagram. This came out electrically clean, so I didn't need to split the pads for either power or GND or anything like that.

ataripower.thumb.jpg.c8e8d0c884f356d5578e4148bc375b98.jpg

Video OUT from the UAV to your rear panel jacks

These connections all come from the upper 5 terminals on the green terminal block - see the diagram at top of post.

Edited by rmzalbar
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, rmzalbar said:

Question: Does your version of the UAV have jumper pins or just holes in that area?

I got the kit which doesn’t have anything soldered to it but comes with all the parts. I soldered the 2x10 header on there already and the junction block figuring I would at least need the jumpers, but I can add or remove whatever is needed.

15 hours ago, rmzalbar said:

OK. This should do it. Let me know if you have questions or if your board seems different.

Here's a connection diagram I stole from somewhere:

2600A_COMP_SVID_STEREO_2x.png.fd0716f6a292dacd7a7a51bbe462f976.thumb.png.60b695c3b8f181cd43ca50d8a5a420e9.png

Video from Atari to UAV

Ignore the pins meant to plug into the CD4050. The wires from the Atari TIA get soldered to the corresponding jumper pins on the left half of the UAV. This is the video signal FROM the Atari TO the UAV. Remove all jumpers.

You will be connecting the following 5 wires:

SYNC - from TIA pin 2 to UAV jumper pin SYNC (see diagram below)

LUM0 - to UAV jumper pin LUM0 (see diagram below)

LUM1 - to UAV jumper pin LUM1 (see diagram below)

LUM2 - to UAV jumper pin LUM2 (see diagram below)

COLOR - to UAV COLOR IN - bottom-most pin of green jumper block (see diagram)

post-39934-0-56559600-1504899062.thumb.png.89cf1aa362f82bbb7eaf76ca2a6d7140.png

Audio from Atari directly to RCA audio jacks

Audio CAN come directly from TIA pins 12 or 13 - they're already bridged on the Atari.

However, I picked it up from the other side of a capacitor that's already on the Atari, see my diagram. Taking it from this capacitor protects the TIA a bit better. I bridged the audio to both L and R jacks together. It's mono, but this way you get two jacks so you can have sound out of both sides of a stereo amplifier. Audio ground can be shared with the video ground from the UAV (I tied the grounds together for all of the jacks.)

I didn't want to solder directly to the TIA, and I didn't have good access to underneath the board for my installation so I soldered the TIA wires instead to the component legs that each TIA pin is connected to. Here's a diagram of that:

2600detail.thumb.jpg.a157e5b6554a7e915b3c5f80ed257639.jpg

Power and GND to the UAV from the Atari

I picked this off from two capacitors up near the player 1 joystick port.

Power: The upper pin of capacitor C236 (see my photo,you can see the large power trace it connects to at the top)

GND: The rightmost pin(s) of C228/229, which branches off the large grounding area for the shield. (see my photo)

These both go to the two leftmost pads on the UAV, see diagram. This came out electrically clean, so I didn't need to split the pads for either power or GND or anything like that.

ataripower.thumb.jpg.c8e8d0c884f356d5578e4148bc375b98.jpg

Video OUT from the UAV to your rear panel jacks

These connections all come from the upper 5 terminals on the green terminal block - see the diagram at top of post.

This is fantastic, I will check this out later today and let you know if I am able to make any progress. Thank you so much for doing this.

1 hour ago, FantasticDan said:

This is fantastic, I will check this out later today and let you know if I am able to make any progress. Thank you so much for doing this.

You already have your answers now, but I also did reply to your post in the 2600 section for this with a pic and points showing which connection from the resistor attaches to which point on the UAV. I actually get my power and Ground from much closer near the RF modulator section but those can be had from anywhere.

I actually posted a pic from the Rev 13 I did just last month but the Rev 12 and 13 are the same in the points to pick the signals from off the resistors near the TIA.

On 10/6/2023 at 11:54 AM, -^CrossBow^- said:

You already have your answers now, but I also did reply to your post in the 2600 section for this with a pic and points showing which connection from the resistor attaches to which point on the UAV. I actually get my power and Ground from much closer near the RF modulator section but those can be had from anywhere.

I actually posted a pic from the Rev 13 I did just last month but the Rev 12 and 13 are the same in the points to pick the signals from off the resistors near the TIA.

I got it installed but I’m having some issues with the signal. I’ll post details on the other thread so as not hijack this one any further. Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Question: A friend of mine modded a NTSC 6-Switcher for me with the UAV-mod + audio-mod.

The result is, that the s-video signal has almost no visible difference from the composite signal. Quite the opposite: on some screens/monitor the video quality looks even worst in s-video!

We first thought the mod-set is broken, so he installed a 2nd set, but same result!

Can anyone of you make sense of this?