IGNORED

The UAV Rev. D Video Upgrade Thread

Bryan

Anyone know if the SVA2 (atari 2800) uses a 4050? Curious if this board would work in one.

I can't find a picture of what's under the shield, but the UAV can be installed whether there's a 4050 or not. You'll just need to run wires like you do with the 2600 4-switch.

• Like 1

Am I reading this correctly that I will not have audio with my monitor cable after I install the UAV rev D

If the device only had RF output to start with (game consoles, Atari 400, etc) then yes, the resulting monitor output from the UAV won't have audio - it will need to be routed separately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am testing my final revision to the audio board and will begin shipping this coming week. It will cost $10 and give high quality output to the 2600, 5200, 7800 and 400. It will combine the proper audio sources as well so that the 400 includes cassette audio and the 7800 includes Pokey from a cartridge. It will not require any cutting or disabling of RF audio if you plan to leave that intact.

You can see it in a 7800 here:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/266065-uav-ultimate-atari-video-atari-7800/?p=3796335

• Like 6

I have just finished installing a UAV Rev. D in one of my 800XLs. Frankly I am disappointed. It is very difficult to get the colors to match what they are supposed to be and the picture clarity does not seem to me to be as good as I get with the SuperVideo 2.0 modification. I tested the computer on a Commodor 1701 and a Magnavox (?). Both monitors have seperate inputs for chroma and luma. Maybe I wired something wrong but the only thing that could be in question there is the ground. I wasn't sure where the ground should go with the RF box still intact. This is a picture of my installation.

post-61328-0-63015800-1505842853_thumb.jpg

Use the REV D jumper diagram at the bottom of post 2, should fix the issue. You absolutely have the REV C jumpers on that board

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/260267-the-uav-rev-d-video-upgrade-thread/?do=findComment&comment=3656312

• Like 1

I have just finished installing a UAV Rev. D in one of my 800XLs. Frankly I am disappointed. It is very difficult to get the colors to match what they are supposed to be and the picture clarity does not seem to me to be as good as I get with the SuperVideo 2.0 modification. I tested the computer on a Commodor 1701 and a Magnavox (?). Both monitors have seperate inputs for chroma and luma. Maybe I wired something wrong but the only thing that could be in question there is the ground. I wasn't sure where the ground should go with the RF box still intact. This is a picture of my installation.

I should probably modify the Rev C jumper table to contain a warning not to use it. Your install looks great, though.

I've created a blog page here and I'll begin posting machine specific instructions there. Basically, it's a place to work on the stuff that will go in the manual without the normal thread posts in the way. :)

• Like 3

I have just finished installing a UAV Rev. D in one of my 800XLs. Frankly I am disappointed. ...

Unless I'm mistaken, it looks like you are using RevC jumper configuration on a RevD board.

Don't feel bad, hueyjones70 - when I replaced the Revision C board in my 800XL with a Rev D, I missed the fact that the jumper configs had changed. :)

The sound board is called the "Audio Companion" board. It has 4 input pads with three different gain levels. The inputs are high impedance and should not affect normal operation of the sound circuits, so you don't have to cut and disable existing sound circuitry. The different inputs allow you get proper mixing of sound sources and they were chosen specifically for direct Pokey/TIA output (Inputs A and B), the 7800's cartridge audio line (Input C), and the 400's SIO Audio circuit (Input D). There is also a GAIN pad which, if cut, allows you to boost the output.

You can use extra inputs for additional sources if you wish (I'm experimenting with adding the keyboard click on the 400).

The board is primarily designed for machines that shipped with only RF output: 2600, 5200, 7800 & 400 (the domestic 600XL didn't have audio, but the signal is still there on the board). It can be used in other machines as well as it's basically a 5V powered buffered audio mixer.

The boards are installed by soldering them across a 5V decoupling/noise filter capacitor. The board's polarity is marked and you must pay attention to orientation to avoid damage. The input and output taps are then available at the top.

The boards are $10 each and are available now. Unfortunately, UAV's aren't shipping again until November, so you can get an Audio Companion shipped now or with your UAV. Thanks!

-Bryan

post-3606-0-48895800-1505868187.jpg

• Like 2

The boards are $10 each and are available now. Unfortunately, UAV's aren't shipping again until November, so you can get an Audio Companion shipped now or with your UAV. Thanks!

Hi Brian. Can you please add me to your back order list for a UAV? I have an Atari 800XL I would like to get one for.

Thank you!

Thanks to everyone who replied I now have the jumpers in correctly and the picture is great. Three questions remain, where is the best place to attach the ground, does UAV eliminate the RF output, and could I just as well take out the ferrite beads.

If the 4050 is removed, then the RF output is disabled. The options are:

1. Piggyback the UAV on the 4050, or

2. Route UAV's composite into the modulator.

I haven't looked into how to do #2 yet, but it should be possible.

The ground wire is not necessary in most cases, but someplace close to the DIN jack is best. Where you attached it is fine.

• Like 2