IGNORED

The UAV Rev. D Video Upgrade Thread

Bryan

Wow - never had it show up like that for me on any of my systems - PAL or NTSC. Just tried it the other day on a PAL system connected to a 14" Sony PVM, and it's reddish/brown with zero hint of green.

It seems our old Ataris are as colour blind as I am :)

After a bit of testing we were still having bother. Bright white interference which was altered just by proximity to it. Turned out to be because LUM3 is floating. So grounded that and finally we've got one of the Juniors working flawlessly. Sadly the other junior is dead... Not sure why. Gonna revert that one tomorrow. Of course that's the one with the soldered in board...

I'm almost tempted to load up ballblazer just because I feeling left out of the 'is it green' discussion...

Hmmm, multiple problems. After chatting with Bryan via PM, we're now back on the original jumper settings which connects Lum0 on the TIA to Lum 1 on the UAV, 1-2 and 2-3, leaving Lum 0 floating and working fine on one of the 2600's. The other 2600 is faulty annoyingly and has since been canibalised for parts. Not a problem considering they only cost £15 each. Anyhow, the working one as a bloody lovely picture now, pretty much perfect.

Just waiting for the 7800 to land to replace the dead 2600 now...

These 2 vcs use different pins on the 4050, theres 6 buffers in it, we were not using the right pins for luma lines and sync. The pins are marked on the board, just needed to go through every one until we found somewhere to jumper them to the appropriate pin on the 4050 socket.

Thanks for your posts.

I have recently acquired a PAL Jr here in the US and need this mod for at least Composite as I have a set that shows PAL sometimes trying to lock in Composite.

(I don't think I want to import any PAL tuners.)

I'll use it to run those great audio/video demos that are usually PAL.

It came with a few boxed games, 3 unopened, including my favorite Millipede in the maroon red-style box that late PAL releases came in.

post-29575-0-38047500-1504306764_thumb.jpg

I'm never the one to stop beating a dead horse....

Tonight I dug out my original copy of Rescue on Fractalus:

post-3959-0-03698200-1504311412.jpg

And booted it up on my Incognito 800 that has never (to my knowledge) had anything ever done to the video, and here's what I get on my Commodore 1702:

post-3959-0-36075300-1504311475.jpg

Exactly as I remember, goldish characters on a brownish background.

• Like 2

Sorry to burst anybody's bubble. It has NEVER been green. If it has, your Atari is mis-adjusted.

Now - why is it, that if Doug Nebauer says the shields in Star Raiders are blue, it is gospel. But when the creator of the BallBlazer screen says it was gold, that is a "bullshit memory from 30 years ago" that cannot be trusted?

It's simple as shit man. Load the title screen. Pause the machine (or emulator). Check the value of the background colour register. Look it up against the Atari literature. It won't say green in the description.

• Like 2

Shields in Star Raiders my observations...

NTSC: Blue

PAL: Green

And to stay a bit more on topic, the same on Stock or UAV video, composite or S-Video, CRT or LCD.

As I said these are simply my observations with my equipment, and could vary for other people, and other equipment.

Change of subject. Anyone else experiencing a heat wave today? It was nearly 109 F in Santa Rosa earlier today, and is still about 87 F at 9PM. This is unusually warm for us, since we are a coastal city in California, normally influenced by the ocean breezes. I guess Indian Summer is upon us ;) .

- Michael

Change of subject. Anyone else experiencing a heat wave today? It was nearly 109 F in Santa Rosa earlier today, and is still about 87 F at 9PM. This is unusually warm for us, since we are a coastal city in California, normally influenced by the ocean breezes. I guess Indian Summer is upon us ;) .

Here in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, it's going down to 3C tonight, or 37.4F. It's 46.4F (8C) right now, just after midnight...

• Like 1

(sarcasm on)

Has anyone looked at the code? As this seems to be a deal breaker as to whether this is a worthy product or not, then maybe that's the decider.

(Sarcasm off)

I came to try his topic to look for a good video solution, and instead find I'm wading waste deep in "forum manure" looking for the short answer.

Can you guys take it elsewhere?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bryan's UAV board as I've said before, is what I would consider the best analog video upgrade ever. And this opinion covers the ease of installation, being an almost no-solder upgrade, and having the best composite and S-Video quality, even surpassing the original 800 which was always considered to be the best that Atari ever created.

And as I think has already been pointed out, it is color neutral, meaning that it doesn't skew this in any way, and/or over or under saturate it.

All this other talk about what color this or that should be does not apply to the UAV.

- Michael

Sorry to burst anybody's bubble. It has NEVER been green. If it has, your Atari is mis-adjusted.

Now - why is it, that if Doug Nebauer says the shields in Star Raiders are blue, it is gospel. But when the creator of the BallBlazer screen says it was gold, that is a "bullshit memory from 30 years ago" that cannot be trusted?

It's simple as shit man. Load the title screen. Pause the machine (or emulator). Check the value of the background colour register. Look it up against the Atari literature. It won't say green in the description.

Nope.

The RENDERING INTENT has been per author's description: golden / reddish hue. And that's how it stays in history. Same with Star Raiders shields: it is NOT blue, ultramarine blue, etc. It is a grayish darker blue which results from a slight presence of green on it and low luma value (per D. Nubauer).

The EFFECTIVE rendering on TODAY's NTSC color decoding (don't know about PAL) is GREEN (including ALTIRRA with its up-to-speed NTSC color processibg) not because the authors were wrong, not because the Ataris are miscalibrated, nor because the viewing equipment decodes incorrectly. It is just because there was a significant change in NTSC color decoding that superseded the standard under which most Atari titles were originally designed / developed.

It seems UAV upgrade has nothing to do with that change either.

Bottom-line is: if you have a pretty old NTSC viewing device (or anyone coming directly from Japan), it is likely you will see these backgrounds reddish / golden. If on the other hand, you are using the latest and most modern NTSC processing equipment, it will show GREEN, without making any changes on the Atari itself! And no one here will be right or wrong about it. It is simple fact, no matter who likes it or not.

Cheers!

• Like 1

Bottom-line is: if you have a pretty old NTSC viewing device (or anyone coming directly from Japan), it is likely you will see these backgrounds reddish / golden. If on the other hand, you are using the latest and most modern NTSC processing equipment, it will show GREEN, without making any changes on the Atari itself! And no one here will be right or wrong about it. It is simple fact, no matter who likes it or not.

Cheers!

Took you an awful long time to admit that my link to Trebor's post many days ago was spot-on. :)

• Like 4

Shields in Star Raiders my observations...

NTSC: Blue

PAL: Green

And to stay a bit more on topic, the same on Stock or UAV video, composite or S-Video, CRT or LCD.

As I said these are simply my observations with my equipment, and could vary for other people, and other equipment.

- Michael

No heatwave - it's been unusually cool here the pat 2 days. Currently 56 and rainy - we should be close to 80.

Gold looks better ;)

Few years ago I had my own topic on subject of Atari 800 colors.

The same problem was noticed by Atari 2600 community and solved by following color description from service manual.

I agree with Faicuai: "Bottom-line is: if you have a pretty old NTSC viewing device (or anyone coming directly from Japan), it is likely you will see these backgrounds reddish / golden"

And if you like it golden use your TV phase/tint control seting to adjust to this look.

Edited by firestorm
  • Like 1

I know I am really late getting in on this, how do I order and from whom do I order. I would like to get two plug in kits, I want to upgrade an 800xl and a 1200xl.

Send a PM to user 'Bryan' (the original poster).

FYI - I've got a UAV in each of those myself. Fantastic results on both. :)

• Like 2

My CRT is built in 2004 and it outputs the correct reddish-brown background with gold lettering.

my 50$ 4 year old cheap as crap, supports every video format known to man (well not scart) craig brand 13 inch LCD I keep in the shop just for old consoles and computers produces a reddish brown and gold picture ... though it leans more to the green spectrum than seen above, but its not GREEN

not that I have a UAV, just in general over composite or svideo

Edited by Osgeld

My CRT is built in 2004 and it outputs the correct reddish-brown background with gold lettering.

My CRT is also built around that time... Most details already mentioned / discussed above (GREEN), no need to unearth them:

post-29379-0-92013300-1504671842_thumb.jpg

post-29379-0-36210300-1504671865_thumb.jpg

(shows Star Raiders shields dead-on).

Enjoy!