IGNORED

MultiJoy8 PCB

ivop

Hi,

Recently I designed a 10x10cm MultiJoy8 PCB. I have six of them left, so if anybody is interested, I can send you one. Cost will be €4,= plus €4,= international shipping and packaging, so that's a total of €8,=. Note that that's for an unpopulated PCB. The picture of a populated PCB is just for illustrational purposes.

It's based on this schematic: http://raster.atariportal.cz/hw/mj8_2007.gif

Bill of materials to build one:

4x 10K resistor

40x 1N4148

1x 100nF capacitor

8x male (angled) DB9 socket

1x 74ALS138

2x joystick cable of which at least one has pin 7 connected for +5V

or

2x female DB9 socket in case you use joystick extension cables (with pin 7 connected!)

or

2x male DB9 connectors plus some wire with at least seven cores or six and shield

We have successfully built and tested the board.

Please let me know below if you are interested or send me a PM. I'd say one each, unless there's not much interest.

Regards,

Ivo

post-20947-0-04411700-1482594424_thumb.jpg

post-20947-0-77114100-1482594666_thumb.jpg

kicad-files.zip

Edit: this contains ALL development files and Gerbers you can send to a boardhouse directly!

----------

Edit: 2020-12-01: In the past I have received multiple messages about the orientation of the connectors. Most recently at the (current) end of this thread:

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/260287-multijoy8-pcb/?do=findComment&comment=4688915

It's important to note that ALL footprints are intended for male sockets on top. If you want female sockets at the computer side, they need to be soldered at the bottom. See this image by spicyjack:

img_3520.multijoy8_female_connectors.top.jpg

And then there's this 3D printable housing, designed by wt808 without even owning a board!

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/266571-ivop-multijoy-board-case-3d-print-file/?do=findComment&comment=4274144

Here's the direct Thingiverse link: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3608558

And my own print:

multijoy8-enclosure.jpg

Edited by ivop
Clarify connectors, add link and images for 3D housing
  • Like 5

I am considering a cartridge game that could support this interface. It would depend on how many people have these things and the demand for professionally written software to support the MultiJoy8. It is a version of Tron Light Cycles / 2600 Surround / Growing Worms with up to 6 opponents onscreen, also dodging obstacles and collecting bonuses. Game will default to standard 2 Joystick or 4 Joystick 400/800.

• Like 3

Yeah I see that and I know someone else is working on something similar. What I am doing is sorta a multi-cart game that can play something similar to the 2600 Surround, but in the option can also play similar to Vic-20 "Super Slither". SuperWorm also had me thinking. I noticed those versions used character modes, where I am looking to use a hi-res bitmap mode. I am making mine with the things moving you must touch to make your worm grow. I am thinking about a 4 player option in the game menu that has 4 players playing against each other, either can be played on the 800 with 4 ports or would need a MultiJoy8 interface. If not, could just make it two players.

Edited by peteym5
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

All have been received by their new owners. For those about to build it, notice that J1 and J2 are also DB9 male footprints intended for female-female serial cables. If you want to mount a female DB9 port in order to use a joystick extension cable, you need to mount it at the bottom of the pcb. Look carefully for the square solder pad which is pin 1.

Hi,

Recently I designed a 10x10cm MultiJoy8 PCB. I have six of them left, so if anybody is interested, I can send you one. Cost will be €4,= plus €4,= international shipping and packaging, so that's a total of €8,=. Note that that's for an unpopulated PCB. The picture of a populated PCB is just for illustrational purposes.

It's based on this schematic: http://raster.atariportal.cz/hw/mj8_2007.gif

Bill of materials to build one:

1x 100nF capacitor

1x 74ALS138

Any source for a small quantity of the 100nF capacitor? BG Micro only has it in a big set.

Can I use a 74LS138 in place of the 74ALS138?

Is it possible to get one, anymore? If yes, I would like one.

I don't have any left, but I am considering doing a second run, seeing that six people have already shown interest. I do need a multiple of ten though. I'll start a separate thread for that.

Any source for a small quantity of the 100nF capacitor? BG Micro only has it in a big set.

Can I use a 74LS138 in place of the 74ALS138?

I have not built any with a standard LS138, but as the circuit does not depend on very fast switching, I see no reason why a normal LS138 wouldn't work.

Hello Peter

Every new MultiJoy game is welcome, but we already have a couple of games that look like Tron/Worms. Here's the list of MultiJoy games Fandal has on his site.

Sincerely

Mathy

Here is one of my current projects: "Surround'EM"

Currently it is a work in progress. Now it will default to the 2 Joystick XL/XE, but will support 400/800 or use the first four joystick ports of Multijoy8 / Multijoy16. I was just experimenting with the code to read the Multijoy interface and testing it on the emulator. I did not want to limit the market of this game to just Multijoy8 so the game will run on an stock Atari computer, the XL/XE will be limited to 2 players. The ideal of having it support the driving controller is still undecided at this point. I do not see this game being able to use the Paddles or Trackball. Are there any other Multi joystick interfaces that work different out there

As stated it is a work in progress and you probably see some glitches in the earlier videos. I am working on correcting them as the game is developed. There are many different game mode switches like 45 or 90 degree movement; Bordered Arena or Wrap Around; limit to 3 computer opponents, or play against 6. Different game types include having moving obstacles and/or moving walls. accelerating game that speeds up every few seconds, slither game, and a dodge survival game. The slither game is different than the VIC-20 Basic Game where the objects you touch are shaped like fruits and moving. Some game modes will probably be just one player.

• Like 4

I

I don't have any left, but I am considering doing a second run, seeing that six people have already shown interest. I do need a multiple of ten though. I'll start a separate thread for that.

Because I didn´t see a newer thread, I´ll ask here for THREE boards (above I asked for one).

I hope I doesn´t miss the new thread!

Sleepy

• 4 months later...

Here is one of my current projects: "Surround'EM"

Currently it is a work in progress. Now it will default to the 2 Joystick XL/XE, but will support 400/800 or use the first four joystick ports of Multijoy8 / Multijoy16

I think it's a great idea to support 400/800 4-ports in addition to Multijoy for those games that don't depend on other 400/800 features to run.

BTW, my son just finished soldering our first ivop Multijoyboard. We built it with "in" plugs but just found out that our joystick extension cables are not connected on all 9 pins so I have to dig for a cable that does or we'll have to solder one.

BTW, do both J1 and J2 need fully contacted cables or just one of them?

Edited by slx

J1 needs 1, 2, 3, 4, and 6 (all directions plus trigger).

J2 needs 1, 2, 3, 4, 7, and 8 (all directions, 5V and GND).

If you solder male plugs to the board, they have to be at the bottom (pin 1 has to line-up with the square padded hole).

The board was designed with all female jacks in mind and straight through male-male cables to connect them to the Atari.

You can also solder cables directly to J1 and J2, like I did myself. J2 needs to be fully connected.

Big oops here, I mixed up male and female, it's the other way around!

As can be seen on the photo: the PCB is intended to have all MALE ports on TOP.

So read the previous post by swapping male and female :)

Edited by ivop