IGNORED

auto dialer ?

Jim Pez

Auto-redial at a busy signal was a built-in feature on most modems. Any decent terminal program could also jump to the next phone # on your BBS list and keep going down the line when encountering a busy signal.

If you mean a wargames dialer...those were freeware programs you downloaded from your favorite BBS. No one into that scene would be paying for any type of software.

I'd fire up my wargames dialer after my parents went to sleep for the night and then I set my alarm to wake me up early in the morning before they got up...they never had any idea.

The program I used also printed out a hardcopy of each hit on my printer along with the time it connected.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

God, this brings back some old memories from the hey days of the BBS era. War dialers were illegal and yet widely used to hunt down those "secret" systems that seemed to be everywhere.

I remember finding at least 5 or 6 business bbs's that were not really open for outside use, but one in particular was freaking great. GEM computers. They has a wildcat BBS that listed every used and new computer system they had for sale at their store with specs, and prices. It was for employee use only, but the password was password, and the user name was username. I visited it a lot late at night to lust after the high end 486 systems they had in stock!

Most of what I found were bank systems and real estate offices, and one private Amiga based system I was never able to get into.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...