IGNORED

Awesome new 3D printed case for the Atari Ultimate Cart

retango

Hi all!

Just to let you know there is an awesome new 3D printed case for the Ultimate Cartridge. It is very neat, and lets you use it without any problems both with the XE and XL Ataris. Attached some pictures.. It was meticulously designed by COREi64 (member here), using a board I sent him.. It took many prototypes, but it's finally finished and it's great.. My case is for the pcb with the "vertical connector" layout (see pictures), and he could adapt it to the "horizonal connector" layout. COREi64 tells me it will soon to be available to get here: http://corei64.com/store/index.php?index. He also designed and will print cases for standard Atari cartridge PCBs..

Thanks a merry christmas for all!

post-42286-0-56157200-1482682191_thumb.jpg

post-42286-0-00115400-1482682193_thumb.jpg

post-42286-0-45831300-1482682194_thumb.jpg

post-42286-0-80303300-1482682195_thumb.jpg

post-42286-0-07097000-1482682197_thumb.jpg

post-42286-0-31696000-1482682198_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

Thanks for the post and kudo's retango. It was a pleasure designing it for you. Pleased that you're happy with it.

It's now available to everyone.

The Atari Ultimate case can be found here:

http://corei64.com/store/products.php?73

I also designed blank cartridge shells, they can be found here:

http://corei64.com/store/products.php?74&cPath=16

For those looking to get one for themselves, on the site, there are photos of the actual board that was used to base this design off. Please confirm that you have the same board.

COREi64

Edited by COREi64
  • Like 2

Does XL compatibility also include the 1200XL?

If a 1200XL will accept a cartridge that works on a 130XE or 80XL, then I'd say yes.

I'm just getting into Atari computers myself and don't own all the versions of Atari's (yet :) ). Did this cartridge case for Retango. Works in his 800xl and 130xe. So if your computer can accept cartridges for those machines, then it would work no question.

COREi64

The 1200XL has a "funnel" for the slot, which restricts some cartridges, most notably the C64 cartridge cases used for some Atari projects, from fitting into the 1200XL.

If it hasn't been tested, there is a chance that it is too wide for the 1200XL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by gozar

Can we have pictures of the inside of the cart. halves ? I would like to know where the screws (and mabye pcb holders) are placed. The older Atari 800/XL pcb`s do have a screw in the center of the pcb and it would be great, if your shell also has space for such a center screw...

Can we have pictures of the inside of the cart. halves ? I would like to know where the screws (and mabye pcb holders) are placed. The older Atari 800/XL pcb`s do have a screw in the center of the pcb and it would be great, if your shell also has space for such a center screw...

I only have a photo of the board in the bottom half of the case, but from this you can certainly see where the cartridge screws together. I have heatsets inserted in the top half of the case, so the screws thread through from the back into the front of the case.

sm_IMG_9580.jpgadult image

COREi64

Edited by COREi64

I just had a couple cases in my cart to checkout but then it was $17 for shipping to the US. That made the total too much for me.

Unfortunately shipping within Canada and the US isn't cheap. Shipping within Canada and to the US does include tracking. Shipping to locations outside of those (the rest of the world) doesn't include tracking. If you think 17 dollars is high, you should see the price of shipping with tracking to overseas. It's mind-blowing!

Sorry that you found it too expensive.

COREi64

The 1200XL has a "funnel" for the slot, which restricts some cartridges, most notably the C64 cartridge cases used for some Atari projects, from fitting into the 1200XL.

If it hasn't been tested, there is a chance that it is too wide for the 1200XL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This cartridge case is not based on a c64 cartridge case. It is dimensionally based on a factory Atari 800XL cartridge. If the 1200XL will accept a standard 800XL cartridge, then there's no reason why this wouldn't work, as it's a dimensionally identical cartridge shell!

COREi64

• Like 2

I think the best way to know for sure if this fits a 1200XL (other than trying it) is to measure the width of this cartridge, and then compare that to the measured width of one that does fit. I would do that, but presently and for the next few days I am away from my Atari's.

To this day it astounds me that this is still an issue. Maybe what needs to happen is to create a dimensional drawing of the 'ideal' cartridge size that will fit all, and then create a topic such as 'Atari 8-Bit Cartridge Dimensional Specifications' inclusive of this dimensional drawing. That drawing should also have dimensional tolerances clearly defined.

BTW, that is a fantastic looking cartridge you've designed :)

- Michael

Edited by mytekcontrols
  • Like 1

I added several cartridges with different colors to my shopping basket, but when I went to check out, it only showed the last color I picked. Can you please fix the checkout? Is there a discount for purchasing more than one?

Hi.

Ya, that's canned shopping cart software. Nothing I can do about it. Just send me a note or PM after you complete the transaction confirming the colors you want.

There's no discount for multiples.

Thanks,

COREi64

Edited by COREi64

I am definitely interested in a version for the horizontal connector version of the Ultimate Cart. I have 400's, 800's and 130xe's so I dont think there would be any issue with it fitting the slots. I have two and have never found cases that I am happy with for them.

Would love to be able to provide a case to you, unfortunately, I don't have a horizontal connector version to model against. I'll either have to find one or borrow one to design the changes around.

Thomas

COREi64

How about a new 3D printed cartridge case for MyIDE II? Those cases area also very loose fitting and the board is loose inside too. It sags and puts strain on the cartridge PCB when used with the 1200XL and XE machines.

How about a new 3D printed cartridge case for MyIDE II? Those cases area also very loose fitting and the board is loose inside too. It sags and puts strain on the cartridge PCB when used with the 1200XL and XE machines.

If I had one, I could most certainly make a case for it. One thing at a time I guess.

COREi64

This cartridge case is not based on a c64 cartridge case. It is dimensionally based on a factory Atari 800XL cartridge. If the 1200XL will accept a standard 800XL cartridge, then there's no reason why this wouldn't work, as it's a dimensionally identical cartridge shell!

COREi64

Just now received my cartridge and very impressed with it, with just small amount of Dremel sanding for rough spot my OSS Basic XE cartridge now has a home to live in..

Also a 15 minute trip to hardware store to buy the necessary hex screw driver to fit the closing screws ..