IGNORED

Awesome new 3D printed case for the Atari Ultimate Cart

retango

. Only the width is an issue, the 1200XL's cartridge slot is plenty thick/tall. If it's that size or smaller it will fit. If it is wider it may not fit.

Unfortunately width is not the only issue. Any cartridge without the correct front indentation or notch will not fit a 1200XL even if the width is right. The cartridge port on the 1200Xl is unique among other Atari 8 bit computers. It is designed to take only cartridges with the indentation in the front. For example among those two cartridges shown in the photo, only the Facemaker cartridge (one on the left) will fit, Alphabet Zoo won't, unless you modify it by cutting a similar indentation on the front of the cartridge.

post-48023-0-38988700-1485972538_thumb.jpg

Edited by gargoyle

These cases are amazing and I plan to order one (and also glad to see you are making the adjustments for the 1200XL).

Any chance Thomas that you can give us a look at the various colors--if not the actual cartridges themselves then the printer filament colors?

Thanks! Kavik

Hi.

Here are most of the colors. I haven't yet opened up my box containing gold colored filament, so that's the only one I haven't shot a photo of for you.

The dark blue is a translucent (kind of a cobalt translucent blue I'd call it). There are two yellows. The last photo is the solid yellow, and the other is a translucent yellow. The one that looks clear, is the translucent "clear/transparent" as they call it, but it's just a natural translucent color. Of course, there's black too... but black is well, black.

IMG_0666.jpg IMG_0667.jpg IMG_0668.jpg IMG_0669.jpg
IMG_0670.jpg IMG_0671.jpg IMG_0673.jpg IMG_0674.jpg
IMG_0675.jpg IMG_0676.jpg IMG_0677.jpg IMG_0678.jpg
IMG_0680.jpg
  • Like 5

Hi.

Here are most of the colors. I haven't yet opened up my box containing gold colored filament, so that's the only one I haven't shot a photo of for you.

The dark blue is a translucent (kind of a cobalt translucent blue I'd call it). There are two yellows. The last photo is the solid yellow, and the other is a translucent yellow. The one that looks clear, is the translucent "clear/transparent" as they call it, but it's just a natural translucent color. Of course, there's black too... but black is well, black.

IMG_0666.jpg IMG_0667.jpg IMG_0668.jpg IMG_0669.jpg
IMG_0670.jpg IMG_0671.jpg IMG_0673.jpg IMG_0674.jpg
IMG_0675.jpg IMG_0676.jpg IMG_0677.jpg IMG_0678.jpg
IMG_0680.jpg

That's quite the collection of filaments! What kind of 3D printer do you have?

Awesome...thank you!

Are any of the other colors translucent as well? It appears the green could be.

In any event, it's going to be a tough choice. :-D

You're right, the green is one of the translucent colors. In translucent's, I have green, yellow, cobalt blue and natural/clear. The rest are all solids.

Also have some others (UV color changing filaments), and gold that I haven't photographed but the UV color changing ones would be more money to print in, as they're more expensive filaments to buy.

Thomas

That's quite the collection of filaments! What kind of 3D printer do you have?

Yes, I have quite a lot of filament in various colors. I do a fair bit of printing for the Commodore crowd and go through it pretty quickly (www.corei64.com/store) to see all the different things I've designed to date.

I run Lulzbot TAZ5 printers.

Thomas

• Like 1

Unfortunately width is not the only issue. Any cartridge without the correct front indentation or notch will not fit a 1200XL even if the width is right. The cartridge port on the 1200Xl is unique among other Atari 8 bit computers. It is designed to take only cartridges with the indentation in the front. For example among those two cartridges shown in the photo, only the Facemaker cartridge (one on the left) will fit, Alphabet Zoo won't, unless you modify it by cutting a similar indentation on the front of the cartridge.

attachicon.gif20170201_123131.jpg

Well I guess it's a good thing I don't want, care about or plan on ever owning those cartridges. With the width issue fixed, 99.5% of cartridges work. For me, 100% will work because I have an SDX cartridge with pass-thru connector

There's no need to tell me about 1200XL port uniqueness, since I own 3 and have modified the ports. I'm not just guessing here you know. In fact, I've owned every Atari 8-bit variation and know exactly what every cartridge port is like. But I do thank you for the info on cartridge indentations, I'll just have to modify that issue too, then Bob's my uncle!

Edited by Gunstar

99.5% of cartridges work.

I am not sure about that either, I am not a cartridge collector and have only 11 cartridges in total. 3 of those 11 are mechanically incompatible with the 1200XL port. Including the one in this post. So that's only 72% 1200XL compatibility in my case. And given there was no PAL version of 1200XL, there's gotta be a lot more incompatible cartridges made in Europe.

post-48023-0-08322200-1486416018_thumb.jpg

Modifying the cart port with a dremel won't be easy, you will have to cut the protrusion on top of the cartridge port, but that is part of the port structure and can get quite messy. That's the area highlighted with green in the following photo:

post-48023-0-68374700-1486416241_thumb.jpg

Edited by gargoyle

The new version fits right in my 1200XL. No more height issues!

That's great news.

Any chance you can share some photos here? I'd love to see it, as you're the first one to try the new Atari 1200 revisions I've made.

Thomas

COREi64

That's great news.

Any chance you can share some photos here? I'd love to see it, as you're the first one to try the new Atari 1200 revisions I've made.

Thomas

COREi64

It fits so snug there isn't much to see, but here they are -

cart1.jpg

cart2.jpgcart3.jpg

Edited by Frankie
  • Like 2

I was ready to pay for this nice case, but shipping costs were nearly as high as the item itself (for which COREi64 is not at fault) ;)

Message me your address, and I'll see if I can do anything about the shipping costs for you.

Thomas

COREi64

All sorted out due to COREi64s kindness and dedicated help. Really looking forward to give the Ultimate Cart a nice home :thumbsup:

Happy to help.

I'll have it printed today and on it's way to you tomorrow. Will e-mail you when it's out the door!

Thomas

• Like 1

I've been recently asked by people here, and on the Commodore side of my business for higher resolution / smoother finish prints. I've been doing some testing, and have found that 100 microns is viable.

As such, I've decided to offer prints at 100 micron resolution as an upgrade over the standard print resolution of 200 microns.

You'll currently find that option available on the Atari Ultimate 1200 cartridge at present on the shop. If there's another model that you'd like at the higher resolution and the option isn't available, please let me know and I'll make the adjustment to the shop.

I do however have to charge an additional small surcharge on models for the higher resolution as it does double the print time, thus consuming more power to generate the model.

Thomas

• Like 1