IGNORED

5200 OE HSC Season 4 Round 5 Zenji

zylon

Our game in round 5 is Zenji. Play on defaults using only real 5200 systems and controls. Modern SD/flash carts and video mods allowed. Pcs preferred, but not required except for HSC wins and records.

Round ends Sunday, January 1st 2017 @9pm EST

Current HSC record: Bust it for a bonus point!

Zenji (Game 1)
Kida0723 25,575
Final scores:
14,315 King_Salamon +11
10,465 phuzaxeman +10
6,705 darthkur +9
4,690 roadrunner +8
2,150 MrBubble +7
2,075 RangerG +6
1,270 zylon +5
900 peedenmark7 +4
Standings:
darthkur - 41
RangerG - 33
zylon -24
peedenmark7 - 22
atariron82 - 18
roadrunner - 17
MrBubble - 8
phuzaxeman - 7

Zenji.bin

Edited by zylon

So what is the object of this game ?

I get that one is trying to make a continuous grid of some kind, turn the grid green ?? > but you can literally wander the screen turning things around aimlessly till you die.

The game instructions read like a stoned guy giving directions to some rural monument , and there is nothing on youtube to show strategy or game play.

I've always been left scratching my head as to the perceived value of this game, as after about 10 minutes of playing it, I generally decide that my time would be better spent doing laundry.

Am I missing something here ?

Edited by peedenmark7

So what is the object of this game ?

I get that one is trying to make a continuous grid of some kind, turn the grid green ?? > but you can literally wander the screen turning things around aimlessly till you die.

The game instructions read like a stoned guy giving directions to some rural monument , and there is nothing on youtube to show strategy or game play.

I've always been left scratching my head as to the perceived value of this game, as after about 10 minutes of playing it, I generally decide that my time would be better spent doing laundry.

Am I missing something here ?

When turned green, the paths have to lead back to that starting point they indicate. I tried it a handful of times and it's growing on me. (I miss the days when games could be slightly different from each other, though of course you still had gluts of shooters or maze munching or whatever)

Our game in round 5 is Zenji. Play on defaults using only real 5200 systems and controls. Modern SD/flash carts and video mods allowed. Pcs preferred, but not required except for HSC wins and records.

Round ends Sunday, January 1st 2017 @9pm EST

Current HSC record: Bust it for a bonus point!

Zenji (Game 1)
Kida0723 25,575
Current scores:
Standings:
darthkur - 41
RangerG - 33
zylon -24
peedenmark7 - 22
atariron82 - 18
roadrunner - 17
MrBubble - 8
phuzaxeman - 7
Thanks for mentioning using only real 5200 systems and controls. I set up my old TV and original 5200 setup from almost 10 yrs. Good to be playing the 5200 again even after buying a ps4 for XMas.

Edited by phuzaxeman

Thanks for mentioning using only real 5200 systems and controls. I set up my old TV and original 5200 setup from almost 10 yrs. Good to be playing the 5200 again even after buying a ps4 for XMas.

This is our "mini-season" for OE only play among the faithful. We run about 7 one-week rounds of player nominated games from the 5200's original catalog.

I remember it well...

I got 800 , which is an improvement over ZERO last time. I don't have a pic as I hit reset ,and am no scoring threat on this one :)

I'll get a play or two in when I get back to GA tomorrow. I have a 2-port up here, but only a few games.

Activision usually stands for quality, but these instructions don't explain much at all. Without watching YouTube videos, I would not have understood this game (and I am still not 100% sure). It plays ok and seems like a nice change of pace puzzle game, but the manual needs work.

Activision usually stands for quality, but these instructions don't explain much at all. Without watching YouTube videos, I would not have understood this game (and I am still not 100% sure). It plays ok and seems like a nice change of pace puzzle game, but the manual needs work.

I found 1 YouTube video with a guy and his kid, that did more talking than playing..

Now that I'm getting things set up with my 5200 I might as well get some scores in. I got a score today of 5,425. No picture was taken but I plan on getting a better score tomorrow and will take a pic then. lol

Man this is not an easy game but there is a way to get a higher score I've found. Regardless, I don't expect to find myself scoring in excess of 25k.

900 and a final play.

I tried this with my 128-1 , my Sean Kelley non dip switch Multi cart, and 2 original Activision carts.

My findings as such:

Whatever the ROM is on the 128-1 is not letting me turn green pieces around , at least not all of them and no gray ones period.

Not as bad on the Kelley multi cart and really no change on the original carts, able to turn some gray not all green.

I know my 2 port is out of calibration to a degree, could this be the culprit not allowing me to turn pieces around.

post-28653-0-32244100-1483218788_thumb.jpg

Edited by peedenmark7