IGNORED

Squary - game released

sometimes99er

Oh ! French national hymn in the introduction!

It's a Funny game! :-)

You should add a move counter: The less numbers of moves we make to hit the square, the more score we have. And too much moves give 0 score for a level. That's could be Great!

EDIT: You could even place some obstacle in the deplacement area!

Edited by fabrice montupet
  • Like 1

And if you allow for using the mouse with v9938 systems (80-col card or Geneve) or the Mechatronics mouse, this would be a dream come true. (You can use MAME if you don't have such a device.) Querying the mouse is not that difficult, it just means to read some video registers.

I did once look into the MAME/MESS source to deduct how to use the Mechatronics mouse, but it didn't work out.

It would be nice if we had mouse support with the FlashROM99, which I have suggested. Like switching to a high bank and then being able to read some bytes for coordinates and buttons. Or mouse support on any of the other popular addons. Other than that, I'm actually more or less sticking to the unexpanded console.

;)

Oh ! French national hymn in the introduction!

It's a Funny game! :-)

You should add a move counter: The less numbers of moves we make to hit the square, the more score we have. And too much moves give 0 score for a level. That's could be Great!

EDIT: You could even place some obstacle in the deplacement area!

Oh. I didn't know that. :)

Thanks. :)

So the number of moves would be the number of directional presses, like count one for pulling joystick to the left, one for pulling it up and left and not counting when you release. And if you pull and hold, it still only counts as one move ?

;)

The couple of Geneve users would be happy with the v9938 mouse support. :) I don't know how many Mechatronics mice are around, actually.

Yep. Generally mouse support would be nice. I'm sure the Geneve is a nice machine, but I just have no knowledge or experience with it. :|

The arcade version of Marble Madness had a trackball (I guess it's almost equivalent of a mouse). Most home versions of Marble Madness were using a joystick or directional keys. Even with a trackball, you were only pushing the object around.

Now, if Squary had mouse control, it would perhaps be a bit easier to control, but like Marble Madness, you'd only be pushing the object around. The ironi of course is that Squary has a mouse pointer. And if you were allowed to move it as we now know mouse pointers, it would make Squary too easy and I guess rather boring.

;)

Edited by sometimes99er
  • Like 2

with permission by Sometimes99er i publish a label revised by me to use for my personal cartridge but he suggested to post here too.

my revision is because i liked more a bigger title and also a proportional square-cube like i see it in the game title.

One is more rounded and another is 8bit style... hope you like... if yes, just choice the one you like more :)

post-24673-0-63581500-1483908867_thumb.jpg post-24673-0-26800700-1483909567_thumb.jpg

this is a comparison of how is printed:

post-24673-0-49273900-1483908990_thumb.png

Edited by ti99iuc
  • Like 2

I used to play Marble Madness on the Amiga with the mouse. The mouse could only be used to accelerate the ball in the direction that you were moving the mouse. I remember you had to keep the mouse in the hand and swipe it repeatedly over the table.

You don't need to know the Geneve. The Geneve offers a "GPL mode" that is compatible to the TI. Still, you can query the mouse.

My suggestion: If you could design the architecture of the game in a way that the input device is accessed via an interface, someone else (possibly me) could add a "mouse driver".

• Like 1

I used to play Marble Madness on the Amiga with the mouse. The mouse could only be used to accelerate the ball in the direction that you were moving the mouse. I remember you had to keep the mouse in the hand and swipe it repeatedly over the table.

Oh yeah. I think I quickly went for the game play option of using the joystick. That swiping with the mouse. ;)

You don't need to know the Geneve. The Geneve offers a "GPL mode" that is compatible to the TI. Still, you can query the mouse.

My suggestion: If you could design the architecture of the game in a way that the input device is accessed via an interface, someone else (possibly me) could add a "mouse driver".

Well, this game was just something quick and dirty in between some other stuff. I was afraid it wouldn't get any attention at all. You never know.

There isn't much architecture behind it. And I don't know GPL, devices or interfaces in the context of the TI.

:)

Edited by sometimes99er
  • Like 2

Ah no, the "GPL mode" is not about GPL. It is not a good name for it, Myarc should have called it the "compat mode" or so.

As for the interface idea: I just thought about some BLWP call which receives x and y values in some registers, and by that way, people could write modules for different input devices.

BTW, your code won't assemble with the standard E/A, I'm afraid. :) Despite all emulation, I'm still building "inside".

• Like 1

Ah no, the "GPL mode" is not about GPL. It is not a good name for it, Myarc should have called it the "compat mode" or so.

As for the interface idea: I just thought about some BLWP call which receives x and y values in some registers, and by that way, people could write modules for different input devices.

BTW, your code won't assemble with the standard E/A, I'm afraid. :) Despite all emulation, I'm still building "inside".

Oh. :)

The source should assemble with Asm994a from the Win994a package by BurrSoft. ;)

And I'm all emulation. For input devices I rely on joystick and sometimes support newer keyboard layouts. My present keyboard is a slightly twisted one, so WASD is a bit off. So for some TI games I actually went for IJKL and other controls for the left hand. And almost forget all about ESDX. ;)

comfortcurve.jpg

Edited by sometimes99er
  • Like 1

Let me guess, the photograph is done with a smartphone. Told you to get a proper camera. :-D

Nope. My desk may be the color of Snow White, but the photo was simply taken from ... :)

https://www.microsoft.com/accessories/en-gb/products/keyboards/comfort-curve-keyboard-3000/3tj-00020

Edited by sometimes99er

• 7 months later...

Nice review at TI-99/4A Game Shelf. :)

A very simple game where you are chasing around a square with a joystick controlled cursor as fast as you can in order to score the highest number of points. Every time you catch a square and press the fire button, another one pops up at another screen location, and with time the squares keep shrinking in size. The game ends when you click outside of a square. That's it! An attractive feature is the fact the speed of the cursor increases gradually in the direction of the joystick and there is an element of inertia applied as well so you can't just stop on a dime. The game is very colorful, although I would have preferred a better contrast between the squares and the background. And it is that simplicity that makes it so addictive and easy to pick up since the instructions could be summed up with 5 words: click on square for points.

I deliberately chose colors with less contrast to make it harder to find the square. ;)

• Like 2