IGNORED

Altirra Question - Renumbering Line Numbers

KCMO

Back in the 80's I used a secondary cartridge (the name Monkey Wrench sticks in my mind) that would allow me to automatically renumber my line numbers.

GOTO and GOSUB lines would automatically be readjusted to address the new line numbers.

Is there a command like that in Altirra? I can't find it....

Back in the 80's I used a secondary cartridge (the name Monkey Wrench sticks in my mind) that would allow me to automatically renumber my line numbers.

GOTO and GOSUB lines would automatically be readjusted to address the new line numbers.

Well Altirra emulates the Monkey Wrench so you could go back to using that..

www.atarimania.com should have the needed image(s) (if it turned out to be Monkey Wrench II, just remember that one is a right hand slot, Altirra should auto work that out in the little box that comes up and you should see a few options including right hand slot. Or just use attach secondary cart in the file menu..

PS..The same site should also have the manuals, just to help any rusty brains :)

To save you time, they only have Monkey Wrench II

http://www.atarimania.com/utility-atari-400-800-xl-xe-monkey-wrench-ii_17608.html

Here's Monkey Wrench I just in case..

Monkey_Wrench.zip

Edited by Mclaneinc

here's a .ARC with a BASIC renumber in it.

I just can't unarc it and just post the program.

The .arc is a bunch of Atari utilities.

Basic renumberer. X=USR(given,start,incr.). Always LIST prg. 1st.

I guess it makes a USR that you enter 'given', the .BAS filename,

'start' say start at 10 and increment, say 10.
UTIL1A

shoot, I don't remember. You'll have to figure it out.

UTIL1A.ARC

Edited by russg

Just remember that Altirra supports some extensions including IF ELSE ENDIF.

Renumber utilities for Atari BASIC aren't likely to work with extensions that use line numbers.

Wow, my head is spinning! Thank you for your suggestions. I'll try to digest each one.

Here's one more option. The OSS BASIC XL also renumbers Goto/Gosub line #'s references. The pluses to this option are it's 100% backward compatible with Atari BASIC and that no extra utility is required :)

• Like 1

Wow, my head is spinning! Thank you for your suggestions. I'll try to digest each one.

If you are still comfortable using Monkey Wrench, try this link.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/125889-monkey-wrench/page-2?do=findComment&comment=1650472

There is a Rom at that link that combines Monkey Wrench with Rev C Basic.

• Like 1

here's a .ARC with a BASIC renumber in it.

I just can't unarc it and just post the program.

The .arc is a bunch of Atari utilities.

Basic renumberer. X=USR(given,start,incr.). Always LIST prg. 1st.

I guess it makes a USR that you enter 'given', the .BAS filename,

'start' say start at 10 and increment, say 10.

UTIL1A

shoot, I don't remember. You'll have to figure it out.

I unarced it. Here's a MYDOS 4.5 .ATR with RENUMBER.BAS from ANALOG #27 (2/85), Angelo Giambra.

I believe I REMed it to help use it.

MYDOS45.zip

Drag anything you want to extract out of the disk explorer window.

Dats wut I said :)

And if mem serves with the latest beta you can now ADD to the explorer although I'm not sure if it supports ARC's (not tested it myself)

Just tested, nope, only to valid dos disks, no arc support..

Edited by Mclaneinc

I unarced it. Here's a MYDOS 4.5 .ATR with RENUMBER.BAS from ANALOG #27 (2/85), Angelo Giambra.

I believe I REMed it to help use it.

I'm afraid it doesn't work so good in Altirra, at least with the Altirra BASIC.

You're supposed to RUN it and it installs a machine routine and gives you the address to USR to.

I haven't finished playing with it, but so far I can't get it to work in Altirra.

I'm going to use my dump of Atari BASIC and see if it works better than Altirra BASIC.

You're supposed to RUN 'RENUMBER.BAS to install the machine routine. It then gives

you the base address to USR to.... eg. X=USR(1652) after you install it and then

LOAD your BAS to renumber, and LIST it to screen. I think you're supposed to be

able to use START and INCREMENT eg. X=USR(2232,10,10). I'm not sure it works at all.

Edited by russg

I use Altirra BASIC for a speed increase (no disrespect to all the other stuff it does better), for ultimate comparability usage of the real BASIC dumps are needed..

I'm sure when you use the appropriate version of BASIC needed then it will work in Altirra..

• 6 years later...
On 12/29/2016 at 12:34 PM, Mclaneinc said:

Well Altirra emulates the Monkey Wrench so you could go back to using that..

www.atarimania.com should have the needed image(s) (if it turned out to be Monkey Wrench II, just remember that one is a right hand slot, Altirra should auto work that out in the little box that comes up and you should see a few options including right hand slot. Or just use attach secondary cart in the file menu..

PS..The same site should also have the manuals, just to help any rusty brains :)

To save you time, they only have Monkey Wrench II

http://www.atarimania.com/utility-atari-400-800-xl-xe-monkey-wrench-ii_17608.html

Here's Monkey Wrench I just in case..

Monkey_Wrench.zip 3.25 kB · 101 downloads

Does this work with the 800XL ?