IGNORED

3do video cd (MPEG) cartridge

haightc

I have a an FZ-1 with MPEG module attached on it's way from Japan. Information online is slightly unclear as some information suggest that the module also expands memory by 256k. Does anyone know if this is correct, doesn't look like I need any special software to play VCDs?

What kind of memory?

I know that the MPEG cart on CD-i add RAM, that the games could use. Does your infos says if it add to the RAM or the save memory?

I wouldn't be surprised that the VCD require some extra RAM for the MPEG codex to run, but I don't think any 3DO game require it, and the cart probably come with it's own software on ROM to play VCD.

If you want to test it, get a VCD for the CD-i, or burn one.

Edited by CatPix

There is another side slot add on to play VCDs, Japan only but will work on a us system. You have the system memory upgrade I believe. I was I interested in both but too rich for my blood for whathey actually do. Wish there was a cheaper memory expansion option a la the action replay cart for Saturn.

All the MPEG module does is allow VCD playback. I don't believe there was a single game that utilized it.

Pretty sure that is correct, unlike the CD-i which required the MPEG / VIDEO module for certain games the 3DO produced all gaming visuals purely with the hardware and did not require assistance, in fact I am surprised it even needed one for VCD it was that good but perhaps it was specifc tech that required licensing for the particular VCD format.

VCD use the MPEG format, which is a copyrighted thing. MPEG was finalized in 1993, this is why the CD-I and the 3DO didn't came with it built in (the CD-I because it was released in 1990, the 3DO - probably because they wanted it on the market as fast as possible and/or to cut the high price).

For the CD-i, the MPEG card added 1 Mo of RAM, this is usually what the later games require, the don't use the MPEG codecs really.

• 4 months later...