IGNORED

N64 Buying Guide & Top 10 Great Games

Metal Jesus

In this guide, Kinsey & myself help first time N64 collectors know what consoles, controllers, accessories & top 10 games they need for their collection!

N64 games we recommend:

Super Mario 64
Banjo-Kazooie
Beetle Adventure Racing
Star Wars Episode 1 Racer
Diddy Kong Racing
Super Smash Bros.
Mario Party 2
Zelda: Ocarina of Time / Majora’s Mask
Mischief Makers
Pokemon Snap
What other games do you recommend first time N64 collectors pick up? What is your favorite color of the console?

Get the AKI wrestling games

WCW vs NWO World Tour

WCW/NWO Revenge

Wrestlemania 2000

WWF No Mercy

Most of those can be had for like, 5$. Revenge is the best, IMO.

Goldeneye, of course. I only mention it because it's not on the list.

Mario Golf is awesome, but can be pricey, as all Mario games seem to be.

Star Soldier: Vanishing Earth is cool.

Goldeneye is a tough one to recommend, only because it's so alien to FPS players today. Not that it's a bad game, but those controls!! We definitely considered it though...

That's true--when I went back to it a while back it was def a re-acclimation process, and I might have bailed if I didn't KNOW based on experience that I could be accurate with it. They give you some decent control options, my fav (I think) was always C-buttons to move, analog stick to aim. Another mark against Goldeneye, it's not cheap. Still....great ambiance, great missions, great weapons, and just the soldi-as-hell feel of shooting enemies in that game engine. It had WEIGHT, it had FEEL.

To be fair, 3D platformers have undergone a lot of evolution as well, and I sometimes get frustrated with SMB64. It is hard to go back sometimes.

The beauty of those AKI wrestling games.....that wrestling engine is as beautifully perfect and controllable as the day it was released. The new wrestling games WISH they played half as well.

Q4 1998 was my favorite time for video games, bar none. Within a few weeks of each other:

Star Wars Rogue Squadron

F-Zero X

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

All on Nintendo 64, all still among my favorites even almost 20 years later. I love the Star Warsiness of RS, it was rare to openly embrace the classic trilogy characters like that. F-Zero X was relatively low polygon, but super fast and clean-looking, with a goofy metal guitar soundtrack and comic book personalities. And Ocarina of Time.

Goldeneye is tough for modern gamers, but I love the short, clean level designs and simple goals. My Nintendo 64 is transparent green, highly ridiculous!

I'm sure you explain yourself in the video, but ... Mischief Makers? Seriously? Along with 3 mediocre racing games on the system that had so many mediocre racing games? :-D

N64 mechanics for 3d shooters, platformers and adventure games were often stellar for the time but aged in a frustrating way. I often don't play a game for weeks and I'm left trying to recall what the hell I needed to do. With many busy adults playing that's a real barrier to entry. Also, many of the best are kinda pricey, as stated, so the return on investment gets low. N64 has a horrible track record for me on modern displays so it all adds up.

That said I love my N64 and all of the above mentioned classics, I just get why some newcomers might not.

I really need a new N64. My original has a serious flaw in the video and it's probably better to scrap it than to fix it now. Maybe that should be my resolution for 2017.

If you can afford it, get the UltraHDMI mod kit in it. Seriously upgrades the visuals AND it has a retro mode if you prefer the soft display and scanlines and yet still outputs to 1080P native. Very impressive!

If you can afford it, get the UltraHDMI mod kit in it. Seriously upgrades the visuals AND it has a retro mode if you prefer the soft display and scanlines and yet still outputs to 1080P native. Very impressive!

I think that's the way I'm gonna go, which will mean it doesn't happen tomorrow. But with N64s climbing in price, if I'm gonna spend it, I might as well make it worthwhile.

What kind of video issues. Games do not play.

The screen will alternate between normal and being tinted green. I'm told this is a known consequence of using off- brand RF adapters, which I did long ago. Since it continues to do it on different cables and different TVs, it's probably best to just replace the system.

What other games do you recommend first time N64 collectors pick up? What is your favorite color of the console?

Hey Metal Jesus. I made my own Hidden Gems video for the N64 here:

Also, regarding a previous video you did with Kelsey re: Animal Crossing. I posted it in the YouTube comments not sure if you saw, but she is missing a game there.

The one she showed for Japanese gamecube appeared to be Doubutsu no mori +, but there is also Doubutsu no mori e+. e+ is the re translation into Japanese with e-reader support, and a few other quirky features. The most notable being that you can make public works projects, much like in the New Leaf version(ten years later), and you may wake up Tom Nook late at night by banging a shovel on his door. He will let you in, but he is still in his pajamas, and will charge you more. Tell her she still needs to get e+ as she only had Doubutsu no mori +.

Check it out:

http://animalcrossing.wikia.com/wiki/D%C5%8Dbutsu_no_Mori_e%2B