IGNORED

N64 Buying Guide & Top 10 Great Games

Metal Jesus

There's actually an N64 hidden gems video from 2014 that popped up in my "recommended" videos today that's got some of the games people are listing as missing in it - weird that the hidden gems video was 2 years before the buying guide video.

I would definitely have included Sin & Punishment on at least the hidden gems list. That game is the entire reason I bought an N64, and it was worth paying $200+ total just for that. (I did end up buying 4 or 5 other games too.)

I'm a Treasure fan, and I especially like their shooters over their platformers. That game is one of their best shooters on any system.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Like 1

I have a blue Japanese N64 and a green US version. I see here the comment of, "It is hard to go back." I have no difficulty in doing this, due to, I never left. I still play these games. My list would consist of,

Sin & Punishment (the best experience on the N64, for me)

Bangai-O ( I know it is pricey, but I just had to have a copy, love this version of the game)

Ridge Racer 64 (I am a fan of the series, love this version)

Goemon's great adventure (the 2nd in the series for the N64)

Bomberman 64 - arcade edition (the best Bomberman experience on the N64)

Ogre Battle 64 (if you want a strategy RPG experience)

Robotron 64 (because I love it)

Bust-A-Move 2: arcade edition ( and all the Puyo games for the 64)

Hydro Thunder ( good arcade boat racer)

I want to recommend a fighting game. It is difficult to point to just one. There are Super Smash Bros, KarugaKids, Fighter Destiny 2, Killer Instinct Gold, Flying Dragon 2, and Mace the Dark Age. All offer their own unique experience. I would go as far as saying that they are the cream of the crop on the N64. I am not saying that there are not a few others worth mentioning, because there are.

I do find it difficult to hold this down to ten, because I believe the system had a lot of good gaming and most still stand today as a good gaming experience. I agree with all of the games that have been listed here.

Excellent list. Glad to see Podracer on there. Excellent racing game, especially with the expansion pack.

For me MK64 would replace Diddy Kong Racing. I played it for the first time a week ago and it felt very generic. The flying mechanic was cool but the fact that you can't reverse the controls sucks. I'm sure having zero nostalgia effects my opinion but I just couldn't get into it.

Excellent list. Glad to see Podracer on there. Excellent racing game, especially with the expansion pack.

For me MK64 would replace Diddy Kong Racing. I played it for the first time a week ago and it felt very generic. The flying mechanic was cool but the fact that you can't reverse the controls sucks. I'm sure having zero nostalgia effects my opinion but I just couldn't get into it.

To me the colors and music in DKR were addictive. MK64 is a great game to be sure but I'm not too likely to play it over the many other iterations unless the goal of the night is to just play N64.

29,99 my N64 when Game were selling them. They had warehouses full of unsold Pikachu editions.

Love mine though, glad I waited instead of shelling out the full price.

Pretty lucky! I love closeouts like that. I'm amazed at how many of these there are on Ebay but how expensive they are despite that.

I got a similar deal with the Donkey Kong set right at the end of the system's life... not quite as good and those sets don't go for quite as much these days as the Pikachu models, but I'm still happy to have it, and to have gotten it at a pretty cheap price. (I might have paid $70 or something new.) I really love the color of it.

Always thought the stock N64 was really generic looking. When they started coming out with all those special models, I realized it was just that dark grey color. That was just a really drab color. Plain black would have been better. But I love the special and "funtastic" models.

Pretty lucky! I love closeouts like that. I'm amazed at how many of these there are on Ebay but how expensive they are despite that.

I got a similar deal with the Donkey Kong set right at the end of the system's life... not quite as good and those sets don't go for quite as much these days as the Pikachu models, but I'm still happy to have it, and to have gotten it at a pretty cheap price. (I might have paid $70 or something new.) I really love the color of it.

Always thought the stock N64 was really generic looking. When they started coming out with all those special models, I realized it was just that dark grey color. That was just a really drab color. Plain black would have been better. But I love the special and "funtastic" models.

I love that Jungle Green Funtastic!

Sorry, but any N64 Top 10 that doesn't include Goldeneye is just a Top 11 that only goes to #2. :P

Mine, in no real order (other than 007 at #1 :-D ):

Goldeneye
F-Zero X
Super Mario 64
Starfox 64
Resident Evil 2
Turok 2: Seeds of Evil
Star Wars: Rogue Squadron
Star Wars: Shadows of The Empire
Perfect Dark
Mario Kart 64

Honorable mention:
Doom 64
Quake
Duke Nukem 64
Robotron 64
Star Wars: Episode I: Pod Racer

• Like 2

What other games do you recommend first time N64 collectors pick up? What is your favorite color of the console?

Well I can think of a few you missed considering only 3 games were not 1st/2nd(Rare) party which is a tragic mistake. Given we stay out of Japan (as I'd immediately despite price throw down total support for Bangai-O and Sin & Punishment) here's some stuff to chew on in no particular order

- Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine (superior to PC, zelda64 camera+lockon, runs 640x480, added stage too)

- Bomberman Hero (the mario 64 of bombermans)

- Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon (the zelda64 style game before Zelda was released due to many delays)

- Goemons Great Adventure (2.5D side scroller, challenging)

- Castlevania Legacy of Darkness (the game Castlevania 64 would have been had they not force it out 40% complete with bugs to make money, Cornell the Wolfman, Henry the Knight 2nd game, then Castlevania 64 bugfixed to end it out.)

- Starcraft 64 (Has PC Brood War, but also a full on 2nd expansion exclusive when using the RAM expansion)

- Ogre Battle 64

- Quest 64 (Yes I know someone will blast me for it, it's fun and puts a thumb in the eye of some RPG tropes like known world saviors paying for inns and supplies as they give them away)

- DOOM 64 (This is *NOT* a PC port, badly named to confuse, it's a full blown unique DOOM, DOOM 3 before there was DOOM 3 and far superior to it too.)

- Star Soldier Vanishing Earth (only shump outside of Japan, very solid game, good challenge, beautiful for N64 era)

There's a nice 3rd party top 10 to look at, and if Quest64 gets laughed out, fine throw in Star Wars Shadows of the Empire then as it's truly fantastic, a really solid entry between ESB and Jedi, mostly third person shooter, but a few in space stages too.)

Going back to Nintendo/Rare why is Conker's Bad Fur Day excluded? Staying off the obvious Mario Kart and Goldeneye/Perfect Dark bandwagon is fair, but what about Wave Race, Pilotwings, Blast Corps, F-Zero X, & Jet Force Gemini?

• Like 1

29,99 my N64 when Game were selling them. They had warehouses full of unsold Pikachu editions.

Love mine though, glad I waited instead of shelling out the full price.

N64_zpsxuzfv7zp.jpg

That's one of the few items I've always wanted just for collecting purposes. I kick myself when I remember seeing it for 40 at a gamestop years ago. That version just looks fun but not the current going price fun.

Castlevania Legacy of Darkness (the game Castlevania 64 would have been had they not force it out 40% complete with bugs to make money, Cornell the Wolfman, Henry the Knight 2nd game, then Castlevania 64 bugfixed to end it out.)

Finally, someone who appreciates Legacy of Darkness.

• Like 1

Always interesting to hear other people's takes on what games got them into a system or keep bringing them back to it! For me, I would have trouble leaving Conker's Bad Fur Day, Goldeneye/Perfect Dark, and Starfox 64 off the list of must-plays. However, one game that I have very fond memories of (and really need to add to my collection...surprised I've overlooked it for this long) is Jet Force Gemini. Was a very fun game with all-age appeal and pretty simple mechanics, plus a little bit of a puzzle element thrown in. I'd have recommended it to anybody who was buying the system.

I'm not sure a lot would agree on this one, but I don't think I'd be alone on a site like this based around the more basic era of the 2600 and its brethren believing people would dig Robotron 64. That game is one fun and serious pile of point racking hell. I'm not really sure why I never got around to picking it up again after I don't know how many years as it's not the prettiest but it is a fun one.

• Like 1

I'm not sure a lot would agree on this one, but I don't think I'd be alone on a site like this based around the more basic era of the 2600 and its brethren believing people would dig Robotron 64. That game is one fun and serious pile of point racking hell. I'm not really sure why I never got around to picking it up again after I don't know how many years as it's not the prettiest but it is a fun one.

I totally agree with this one. I am so glad to have such an arcade feeling game on the 64. It is one of my favorites.