IGNORED

Favorite 2600 Model

Atarikid96

Is that a paint job or a third party clone?

Both and neither. :P

I think this particular one pictured is a repro/case mod, but it is a copy of the prototype Kee Games Programmable Console. Kee Games, of course, was the company Atari set up in the early '70s to circumvent exclusivity requirements from arcade operators. Apparently the idea of a Kee-branded VCS console was toyed with--possibly in anticipation of exclusivity demands from retailers?--and a couple of prototypes were made (only two or three IIRC). But being sanctioned and made by Atari, it isn't really a "clone," per se.

Edited by BassGuitari
  • Like 1

For me it's the Vader for aesthetics and the Light Sixer for functionality. As much as I love the look of Vader systems, every one of them I've ever owned (which I think was 4 of them) had flakey difficulty switches that seemed to have a mind of their own and would often change to A difficulty even though switches were in the B position. Once I got a Light Sixer I really appreciated never having to second guess what the difficulty switches were doing or pop in Space Invaders to test them before playing other games.

I like 'em all enough to have tracked down one of each (except an Atari-branded H6... for now), just 'cause they all have their own charm.

To me, the "classic" models represent the VCS/2600. The wood grain really seals the deal for me, so that rules out Vaders -- though I love mine, and that was the model I chose to buy to gift to a friend 'cause it looks so cool.

I used a Jr. for a while, and while the switches ARE cheap, they worked fine and the video output was really nice and bright and saturated. I use one in my secondary "retro gaming setup" because it's little and looks great next to a 5200 and 7800.

To me, it's gotta have 6 switches on the front, aesthetically. That's what I remember the most from childhood, and having gotten used to those, the 4-switchers just seem like they're missing something visually. I'm lucky enough to have found a pristine Sears H6 that gets the most use around here. That birdseye look is my favorite style of wood grain, though the silver panel and font combo (while awesome and futuristic and gorgeous) doesn't give the instant endorphin rush I get from the "orange-and-orange-and-wood" '70s look of the Atari-branded consoles.

Light Sixers are my favorite model overall, even though my main ones are a SH6 and a Jr.. Light Sixers just have all the visual benefits of six switches and woodgrain, they're nice and solidly built, and you can play the hell out of them without worrying about wearing out an H6. :)

But really, my answer is "any of them that will play Atari VCS/2600 games."

• Like 2

Have to admit that the Vader model doesn't do it for me. Hard to explain and it's not like I *hate* it or anything, but don't feel and have never felt compelled to keep one around for long. As mentioned above, might have to do with feeling something is missing. Just looks really bare and plain to me.

Used a Jr. unit for years as it took up so little space, but these days - I prefer to game on a heavy or light sixer. Even retired my 4-switch woody in the meantime in favor of the 6's.

So, all in all, will have to go with the original VCS heavy sixer. I do prefer its styling and curves to the light sixer. :)

• Like 2

I've noticed with many consoles, the "lauch" configuration is usually preferred over later runs. "Heavy" Sixers, 4-port 5200, 7800 w/ expansion port, non-TMSS Genesis Model 1, Super NES with discrete AV board, Game Cube with digital out, backwards compatible Wiis, 1st gen PS1 with I/O port, PS2/PS3 "phat"...

Making NES2 / AV Famicom, "Funtastic" N64, "AGS-101" GBASP, (and possibly Wii Minis in the future) the exceptions to the rule.

• Like 1

I've noticed with many consoles, the "lauch" configuration is usually preferred over later runs. "Heavy" Sixers, 4-port 5200, 7800 w/ expansion port, non-TMSS Genesis Model 1, Super NES with discrete AV board, Game Cube with digital out, backwards compatible Wiis, 1st gen PS1 with I/O port, PS2/PS3 "phat"...

Making NES2 / AV Famicom, "Funtastic" N64, "AGS-101" GBASP, (and possibly Wii Minis in the future) the exceptions to the rule.

They tend to be better-made, more reliable, or more fully-featured. Later runs are almost universally cost-reduced, less durable, and feature-reduced with few (if any) meaningful improvements to compensate.

• Like 1

Usually. This is not the case with the XBox 360 and its frequent RROD's in the first round of machines.

The same goes for the launch model original PlayStation. Most of them suffered disc drive failures within the first year or two of use, but that problem was fixed in later revisions. Launch model Nintendo handhelds tend to overly chunky with lower quality screens than later models as well.

• Like 1

The same goes for the launch model original PlayStation. Most of them suffered disc drive failures within the first year or two of use, but that problem was fixed in later revisions. Launch model Nintendo handhelds tend to overly chunky with lower quality screens than later models as well.

Word. In terms of screen quality:

Gameboy Color > Gameboy Pocket > Classic

GBA-SP (AGS-101) > GBA-SP (AGS-001) > GBA

DSi xL > DS Lite > DS "Phat"

N3DS xL > 3DS xL > 3DS

Nintendo have a history though of enhancing portables and feature cutting consoles. "Funtastic" N64 is more sought after due to the fact that the colors are attractive and collectors need one of each. Years ago the colored consoles were almost at price parity with the charcoal gray launch models.

NES2 is IMO much worse from a video perspective compared to the toaster, but people desire them for the reliable cart slot. NES2 RF looks like shit even compared to NES RF. SNES went through a similar revision but at least it maintained the AV output.

Game Cube removed the digital port. Wii removed backwards compatibility and later removed the wifi and SD slot making them almost useless.

I'm honestly surprised the number of people who prefer the Jr model. The switches look cheap and toylike to me, but I've never seen one in person.

I had a Jr. for a little while, I don't know if I ever really compared it in terms of picture or sound with the other 2600's I had. But one thing about them is that they're surprisingly *big*. I was expecting something like an NES Classic Mini when I bought mine, almost something that fits in the palm of your hand. But they are almost the same size as a regular 2600, if I remember mine right. They're mostly shorter in height (although yeah, a *bit* smaller in the other dimensions too, just not like I thought they were).

The point being I think things that are bigger and heavier have sort of an inherent advantage when it comes to perception of quality, whereas smaller things are perceived the opposite way. So there may be a difference in how you feel seeing a picture of a 2600 Jr. vs. seeing one in person just because of the difference in how you perceive the size in each case.

As for the switches, I don't remember mine feeling "cheap", at least not any cheaper than any other hardware switches on 80's electronics or game consoles.

The launch PS1's do have standard A/V outputs and an expansion port that's requires for things like the Game Shark, though, which actually does make them somewhat more desirable. I'm sure the disc read problems can probably be fixed, but you can't add an expansion port to a PS1 that doesn't have one.

A slight tangent, if I may...

The point being I think things that are bigger and heavier have sort of an inherent advantage when it comes to perception of quality, whereas smaller things are perceived the opposite way...

You ain't kiddin'. For a while back in the '90s, my roommate's computer was one of those beige monstrosities, a huge tower that sat on the floor. I forget the specs, but by the time I saw it, it was probably two or three years old, and so not the greatest thing on the block. Even so, whenever anyone saw it, the first thing they'd say was, "Wow, your computer must be fast!"

• Like 1

A slight tangent, if I may...

You ain't kiddin'. For a while back in the '90s, my roommate's computer was one of those beige monstrosities, a huge tower that sat on the floor. I forget the specs, but by the time I saw it, it was probably two or three years old, and so not the greatest thing on the block. Even so, whenever anyone saw it, the first thing they'd say was, "Wow, your computer must be fast!"

Like my EATX tower? It is a beast, and weighs like close to 50 pounds.

http://www.yycase.com/en/2-2866-114964/product/Workstation-Server-YY-W201-id522280.html

Upgraded the guts several times over the years! :grin:

ms_pacman_case_mod_by_stardust4ever.jpg

http://stardust4ever.deviantart.com/art/Ms-PacMan-Case-Mod-156976036

• Like 2