IGNORED

What games would you like to see hacked to work on the Atari Portable?

With all the games that work on the Atari Portable, there are some that don't and was wondering which ones you would like to see hacked by others to get it working? Maybe there are some programmers out there that can do this? Here is my list:

Donkey Kong VCS - I don't know if this is possible, but maybe an earlier version can be hacked?

Defender 2 - Is there a way the smart bomb button from controller 2 be changed to a difficulty switch so it can work?

Frantic - There are glitches in Berzerk and this might be a nice alternative.

Galaxian - This is full of glitches. This one might be hopeless?

Rally X - Not sure why this one doesn't work. Maybe an earlier version can be hacked?

Scramble - Same as Donkey Kong VCS.

Space Rocks - Same as Donkey Kong VCS.

While this is just a wish list, I know some things won't be possible. However, I am glad we got alternate versions of Star Wars Death Star Battle & Juno 1st to work on the Atari Portable, so there is hope! :)

Edited by atarifan88
  • Like 3

Since the Atari Portable's TV-Type switch is momentary, like the 7800's pause button, it may be a good candidate for controller hacks of games that need a second controller button.

Stargate/Defender II and Spy Hunter are two that I think would probably work great with such a hack.

Rally-X may be a similar issue to Juno First. It would be nice if those fixes also worked for it. Still hoping Stay Frosty can be made to work. :)

• Like 2

However, I am glad we got alternate versions of Star Wars Death Star Battle & Juno 1st to work on the Atari Portable, so there is hope! :)

I agree with your list. But where is this alternate version of Star Wars: DSB at? I must have missed it somewhere..........

Berzerk has always been one of my favorite games, so that's at the top of my list, and one of the main reasons I was torn about getting the Portable in the first place.

I'm wondering if something's going on where the missile sprite (or whatever the terminology is) is bumping into the player sprite's collision data and removing itself before it can even fire...that's the only thing I can think of for why some of the graphical hacks work better than the original game. But I don't know anything about 2600 ROM hacking, so I haven't tested anything out yet.

I agree with your list. But where is this alternate version of Star Wars: DSB at? I must have missed it somewhere..........

Go to this thread:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/258970-atari-flashback-portable-compatibility-list/page-11

Scroll to the third post on the page where KevinMos3 has a zip of Bankswitch Conversions. Star Wars DSB is in there. It works on the portable!

• Like 1

Hey Atari Flashback Portable fans, thanks to Nukey Shay we have...

STAR RAIDERS

Hold down the Mono/Color button for the galactic map to select the sector with the Zylon ships.

Hit the fire button while on the galactic map page to hyperspace!

Difficultly 1 turns on attack computer.

Difficultly 2 turns on shields.

(And Nukey fixed the previously non-working Dpad!)

You can download the game at the following link. (That way the download count will be at one spot, show Nukey some love for his hard work, and hopefully inspire other hacks, never know.) :D

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/259166-flashback-portable-needed-controller-hacks/page-2?do=findComment&comment=3661676

Video of the gameplay can be found here...

• Like 1

I would love to see Raiders of the Lost Ark playable. I know very little about rom hacking and even less about 2600 rom hacking but would it be too hard to swap the controllers so the left controller is for Indy's movement and one of the Flashback's extra switches activated the other controller for the simple inventory selection? Is there a visual controller button mapper program like with arcade emulators that let's you just assign the original game's controls to your current available controls/switches? My logical side tells me 70's game programming/hacking in 2017 should be rudimentary but I also have a feeling everything is overly complex.

We have new games working at this link mostly thanks to Nukey Shay...

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/259166-flashback-portable-needed-controller-hacks/page-4?do=findComment&comment=3666491

Edited by doctorclu
  • Like 1

I was actually thinking, the Merlin's Walls homebrew should be really easy to "fix", if it actually works on the Portable at all. Just adjust the d-pad so you can hold it sideways.

I just tested it yesterday, and it seems to run fine, although I'm not very familiar with the game, so I wouldn't notice if anything were just a bit off.

Thanks to Nukey Shay, we have a fully working Defender 2 where the difficulty buttons activate Inviso and Hyperspace and Select activates the Smart Bomb here:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/259166-flashback-portable-needed-controller-hacks/page-5?do=findComment&comment=3669405

• Like 1