IGNORED

Dominant Amber (2600) - Hackaday 1KB Challenge

Wickeycolumbus

I'd like to see this! Suggestion- on the title screen, the option of 1min, 1:30, or 2min gameplay.

Agreed. Quicker rounds should be an option.

How about four colors?

funny how you bring that up now - I just asked PackRat VG about that title that has been in their "store" as a TBA for a long time............

Yea, the owner of PackRat had some hard times in RL. I hope for this year.
  • Like 1

The 2K Cartridge driver for Stella notes that it can support ROMs as small as 64 bytes. What it does is create a mask based on the size of the ROM and then masks the addresses in order to restrict it to locations within that size. On real hardware the same would be done by not connected all of the address lines in the cartridge, resulting in the small ROM being repeated throughout the 4K cartridge address space.

Is this why the flicker is so bad while playing in Stella? Is there a setting to change to reduce it?

Is this why the flicker is so bad while playing in Stella? Is there a setting to change to reduce it?

The mask has no impact on flicker. If your game is only 1K you'd build it so the ROM starts at $FC00. The mask makes it so that a reference to addresses $F000, $F400, $F800, and $FC00 all return the value stored in $FC00. This is the way a cartridge would work.

Also, I don't see any flicker in Dominant Amber - are you referring to another game? If so just follow the phosphor mode instructions I'd posted with Space Rocks to reduce flicker.

Also, I don't see any flicker in Dominant Amber - are you referring to another game?

Oops, I was talking about the flicker for the Toledo Atomchess within this thread. I'll try your suggestion. Thanks!

Update - unfortunately it didn't help......... :(

Edited by Arenafoot
  • Like 1

It's great to see all the 2600 games that were submitted. We make up about 5% of the submissions!

And nanochess, great job on Toledo Atomchess. Very impressive!

Thanks! :) just tested your game and it looks and sounds pretty nice, I should have tried to make better sound, time eaten me!

BTW your game also works at http://8bitworkshop.com

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

We'll be featuring Dominant Amber LIVE on tomorrow's (Friday) ZeroPage Homebrew stream on Twitch at 11AM PT | 2PM ET | 7PM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Twitch Stream: http://twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew/

Games:
- Rally-X (2014 WIP) by Ed Fries
- Yahtzee (2015 Hack Fix) by alex_79
- Dominant Amber (2016) by Rick Skrbina aka Wickeycolumbus
- Isaiah's Wii Chase (2008) by Chris Read aka atari2600land

UPDATED with YouTube Archive of Stream:

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew
  • Like 3

2240!

Is no one else playing this game?

Some suggestions -

Like others have said a title screen, quicker rounds, and sound would be ideal. Also, I would like to see points deducted for a mistake!

Edited by hizzy