IGNORED

Games Beaten In 2017!

51. Fun 'n Games (SNES)

It's not the former, and barely the latter. F.

52. Dragon View (SNES)

I have a deep affection for Drakkhen, which initially made me wary of this largely in-name-only sequel. But it's a competently-made action RPG that, by incorporating its predecessor's 3D overworld system, feels more connected to the older game than I would have guessed.

Downsides are that it drags at times, nearly wearing out its welcome by the endgame thanks to some silly backtracking. A few late-game puzzles require you to do things you would've naturally tried earlier but didn't work then, e.g. bombing certain doors, which is irritating. And the tunes aren't as striking as the first game's ambient haze.

Still, it was worth playing and had a hint of that sense of wonder I like in RPGs, vs. the "I'm pushing buttons on a Skinner box" too many of them give me these days. C+.

53. 3-D WorldRunner (NES)

Having beaten 3-D WorldRunner I'm weirdly reminded of the snowboarding game I (partially) beat a couple months ago, Tommy Moe's Winter Extreme. That is, the eighth and final world of this game plays like one of the lengthy, trap-filled slopes from Tommy Moe's: memorlze everything, use mnemonics and muscle memory to anticipate what you can't see coming, and be relieved when the very last leg is easier than the rest.

In any event, nice to finally beat this one legitimately (the continue code is in the manual!), after beating tormented by it in childhood and then doing a savestate playthrough in 2002. But man, is that last world a bear, and those ground-hugging, heat-seeking enemies a major source of frustration. And why do I have to kill the last boss six times in a row -- what's the point of that? C.

Final entry for 2017 for me, yet another eternal grinding machine, I beat P.N.03 (NGC) over a dozen times during the last three months. This is probably Capcoms most boring game I played so far, I always had to force myself to do another session. I unlocked all but the final battle suit and I don't think I ever will ;)

Capcom games beaten in 2017: Breath of Fire - Dragon Quarter, Resident Evil Zero, Clock Tower 3, Mega Man Battle Network 3, Duck Tales 2, Rescue Rangers 2, Devil May Cry 2, Resident Evil - Dead Aim, Chaos Legion, Mega Man Network Transmission & P.N.03

It's time for my final update of 2017, and I've actually got quite a few to add since it's been a couple months since my last update.

63. Cursed Mountain (Nintendo Wii)
Of all the games I played for the first time in 2017 this one was by far my favorite, and without a doubt the best darn survival horror game I've played in the last decade. You can read more about it in my Favorite Games You Played For The First Time In 2017 thread, but suffice it to say I will definitely be playing through this one again next year. Maybe more than once!

64. The Ultimate Doom (PC-DOS)
A timeless classic that I play through just about every year. This year I decided to do a play through of it because I was going to be picking up Doom for the 32X and wanted to get a refresher course on what the classic DOS version was like before I cast judgement on the 32X port.

65. Resident Evil Archives: Resident Evil (Nintendo Wii)
The original Resident Evil on the PlayStation is one of my two favorite PS1 games, and I like the REmake of it almost as much as the original. Since I had already done a play through of my other favorite PS1 game this year, the original Tomb Raider, I thought I'd give the Resident Evil remake a go as well. I played through both Jill and Chris's stories and had a great time with both!

66. Doom (Sega 32X)
Having recently played through the original DOS version of Doom and knowing all the flaws of the 32X port I wasn't expecting much for this one, but it actually ended up being one of my favorite games of the year. Even with only 2 of the 3 chapters of the original Doom included, no BFG-9000, a letterboxed screen, enemies that only face forwards, and some strange quirks like the rockets coming out of the launcher backwards and hair on your character's animated avatar randomly reversing it was still a ton of fun to play. I did two complete play throughs of all 17 levels on both Ultra Violence and Nightmare difficulties and had a great time with it, and I particularly enjoyed the bassy Genesis sound chip renditions of classic Doom tunes along with the sheer novelty of just being able to play Doom on my Sega Genesis.

67. Doom II (PC-DOS)
Since I did both the DOS version of Doom and the 32X version I figured I might as well play Doom II next while I was at it. There's not much I can say about Doom II that hasn't been said a hundred times before, so I'll just leave it at "While I don't like it quite as much as the original Doom it's still an enjoyable and challenging sequel that is definitely worth playing for any fan of the original."

68. Virtua Fighter (Sega 32X)
Along with Doom, Virtua Fighter was another one of the handful of games that I bought a 32X to play. I remember watching people play this game in the arcade when I was a kid and was really blown away by it, since I'm pretty sure Virtua Fighter was the very first 3D polygonal game I ever laid eyes on as a wee little one. Surprisingly it was still just as impressive to me today as it was when I was a kid and it still plays wonderfully. I think this will be one of those games I beat at least once a year every year for a good long time to come.

69. Xevious (Atari 7800)
After a couple years of practice I finally "beat" Xevious on the Atari 7800! By that I mean I completed all 16 areas, at which point the game loops back to area 7. The last two areas were particularly tough but I'm very happy to have finally done it! I've always loved the arcade and NES versions of Xevious, but the Atari 7800 port is my favorite of all. :)

70. Dungeon (Atari 2600)
I was really surprised when I looked at my list of games beaten this year and didn't see Dungeon on it, seeing as how this is one of my all time favorite Atari 2600 games, so I had to sit down and spend half an hour or so playing through it. I think it took me 3 or 4 attempts before I managed to beat it, but I didn't mind failing a few times since this game is still an enormous amount of fun to play even when you don't do all that well.

71. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Nintendo Wii)
Wrapping up the year for me is one of my all time favorite games on any system! I could go on for half a page about what an amazing and wondrous games Twilight Princess is, but I've actually already done that very thing here for those interested in reading it. I love the setting, I love the characters, I love the story, the gameplay mechanics, and pretty much everything about this game. If I can spare another 46 hours of my life to play through it again next year then I most certainly will. It's just that good!

Twilight Princess brings my final total of games beaten for this year to 71, which is 3 games less than my record of 74 games from 2016, but still nothing to sneeze at! I don't think I'll be beating quite as many games in 2018 as I did the past 2 years, since I plan to play some lengthier and more story focused games on the Wii and 3DS next year, but we'll see how things go. Lastly, since my wife kept personal list of the games she beat over the course of the year you can find both of our complete lists of games beaten in 2017 in the spoiler tag below.

Jin's Games Beaten in 2017

1. Project S-11 (Game Boy Color)
2. Montezuma's Revenge (Atari 2600)
3. Tomb Raider: Mystery of the Scarlet Dragon (Atari 2600)
4. Solar Striker (Game Boy)
5. Mortal Kombat II (Game Boy)
6. Street Fighter II (Game Boy)
7. Monopoly (Game Boy Color)
8. Super R.C. Pro-Am (Game Boy)
9. Operation C (Game Boy)
10. The Castlevania Adventure (Game Boy)
11. Nemesis (Game Boy)
12. Alien vs. Predator: The Last of His Clan (Game Boy)
13. R-Type (Game Boy)
14. Xenon 2 (Game Boy)
15. Battle Unit Zeoth (Game Boy)
16. Spot: The Cool Adventure (Game Boy)
17. Titus the Fox (Game Boy Color)
18. Alien Hominid (GameCube)
19. Star Fox Adventures (GameCube)
20. Doom (Game Boy Advance)
21. Syphon Filter (PlayStation)
22. Metroid Prime (GameCube)
23. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Sega Genesis)
24. Kung-Fu Master (Atari 2600)
25. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (GameCube)
26. Star Fox Assault (GameCube)
27. Mortal Kombat (Game Boy)
28. Kirby's Dream Land (Game Boy)
29. Super Mario Land (Game Boy)
30. Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (Game Boy)
31. Choplifter! (Atari 7800)
32. Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance (Game Boy Advance)
33. Double Dragon (Atari 7800)
34. Ninja Golf (Atari 7800)
35. Tomb Raider: The Prophecy (Game Boy Advance)
36. Tomb Raider: Legend (GameCube)
37. Ghost Squad (Nintendo Wii)
38. Tomb Raider: Underworld (Nintendo Wii)
39. Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo Wii)
40. Tomb Raider: Anniversary (Nintendo Wii)
41. Metroid II: Return of Samus (Game Boy)
42. 1942 (Game Boy Color)
43. Marble Madness (Game Boy)
44. The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Game Boy Color)
45. Pop'n TwinBee (Game Boy)
46. Jurassic Park Part 2: The Chaos Continues (Game Boy)
47. T2: The Arcade Game (Game Boy)
48. Touch the Dead (Nintendo DS)
49. Moon Chronicles (Nintendo 3DS)
50. 3D Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Nintendo 3DS)
51. Centipede: Infestation (Nintendo Wii)
52. IronFall: Invasion (Nintendo 3DS)
53. Rayman: Raving Rabbids (Nintendo Wii)
54. Sonic Generations (Nintendo 3DS)
55. The House of the Dead: Overkill (Nintendo Wii)
56. Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition (Nintendo Wii)
57. Mortal Kombat (Sega Genesis)
58. Link's Crossbow Training (Nintendo Wii)
59. Haunted House (Atari 2600)
60. Super Football (Atari 2600)
61. Breakout (Atari 2600)
62. Warlords (Atari 2600)
63. Cursed Mountain (Nintendo Wii)
64. The Ultimate Doom (PC-DOS)
65. Resident Evil Archives: Resident Evil (Nintendo Wii)
66. Doom (Sega 32X)
67. Doom II (PC-DOS)
68. Virtua Fighter (Sega 32X)
69. Xevious (Atari 7800)
70. Dungeon (Atari 2600)
71. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Nintendo Wii)

Mrs. Jin's Games Beaten In 2017

1. Montezuma's Revenge (Atari 2600)
2. Tomb Raider: Mystery of the Scarlet Dragon (Atari 2600)
3. Sonic the Hedgehog (Sega Genesis)
4. Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation (PlayStation)
5. Syphon Filter (PlayStation)
6. Quake II (PlayStation)
7. Diablo (PlayStation)
8. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Sega Genesis)
9. Kung-Fu Master (Atari 2600)
10. Adventure (Atari 2600)
11. Doom (PlayStation)
12. Alien Trilogy (PlayStation)
13. Resident Evil: Director's Cut (PlayStation)
14. Choplifter! (Atari 7800)
15. Double Dragon (Atari 7800)
16. Tomb Raider (PlayStation)
17. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PlayStation)
18. Tomb Raider: Chronicles (PlayStation)
19. Final Doom (PlayStation)
20. 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors (Nintendo DS)
21. Touch the Dead (Nintendo DS)
22. Sonic 3 & Knuckles (Sega Genesis)
23. Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition (Nintendo Wii)
24. Haunted House (Atari 2600)
25. Sonic Unleashed (Nintendo Wii)
26. Muramasa: The Demon Blade (Nintendo Wii)
27. Doom (Sega 32X)
28. Pitfall II: Lost Caverns (Atari 2600)
29. Dungeon (Atari 2600)
30. Duke Nukem: Total Meltdown (PlayStation)

Best wishes and Happy New Year everyone! :)

Edited by Jin
  • Like 1

54. Chuck Norris Superkicks (Atari 2600)

Maybe it's nostalgia talking, but I've always liked this game ever since I had it as a kid. The martial arts action is quite playable, the RPG-like structure in which you accumulate new belts and abilities is a nice touch, the difficulty curve is reasonable, and the graphics and music work well. The only drag is the lack of an ending, which makes the whole experience seem a bit hollower than it might -- but it was still satisfying to finally clear the last few enemies out of the monastery. B-.

55. Tennis (NES)

Maybe it's anti-nostalgia talking, but I've always hated this game ever since, as a curious kid, I put a quarter into the arcade version, double-faulted four times, and was out 25 cents with nothing to show for it -- nearly putting me off tennis games for good. I hate its joyless controls, its backboard CPU opponents, its cockamamie ball dynamics that bear no resemblance to real tennis, and so much more about it.

Still, in my quest to beat all tennis games I had to face this one eventually, and after some practice I was able to beat the Level 5 opponent twice in a row, 6-2 6-3 in both matches, to finally put a stake in this childhood nemesis of mine. And in truth, it's a bit more playable than I originally thought -- I even learned to serve aces -- and heck, it's one of the only tennis games out there that actually offers a challenge and can't be completely mastered with simple patterns.

I still hate it, though. D.

• Like 1