IGNORED

Games Beaten In 2017!

So i beat all three of the Crash Bandicoot games on ps4. I didnt think it was very hard other then a few levels. The bridge level in the first game, the last level before Cortex in the second game, and those damn motercycle levels were a pain in the ass in the third game. Not sure if im going to go back and 100% these games but they were definitely fun. How did you guys feel about them if you played them or beat them?

43. Marble Madness (Game Boy)

The Game Boy port of Marble Madness is my second favorite port of this arcade classic, and it only comes in second to the NES version due to the fact that it's missing the 5th level. It looks great and controls quite well, but without the 5th level the difficulty never reaches the point where I might run out of time; and due to the fact that the game loops back to the 1st level after you complete 4th level I could pretty much play this game indefinitely. Still, it is a solid port otherwise and a lot of fun to play.

44. The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Game Boy Color)

Often overlooked in the Zelda pantheon are the Game Boy Color titles: Link's Awakening DX, Oracle of Ages, and Oracle of Seasons. And that's a darn shame, because if you ask me they're the best 2D Zelda games around. Pick this one up if you haven't already, and get Oracle of Ages to go with it. The two games link together to form one long cohesive story and there's a lot of items and interesting things you can transfer between your save files in the two games either via two Game Boy Color compatible systems and a link cable or just using passwords to transfer your data.

45. Pop'n TwinBee (Game Boy)

This European exclusive release is a game that I had been wanting for many long years until I finally got my hands on a copy this week. I had never played a TwinBee game before this one and I really had a great time with it. The difficulty level was pretty forgiving and I managed to beat the game on my 4th attempt (with a final score of 1,064,700) but it was just such a fun, beautiful, and incredibly well designed game that I know I'm going to be going back and playing through it again many more times in the future. The boss rush sequence towards the end and the dialog at the start of the final battle were especially cool and unique for a Game Boy shoot 'em up.

46. Jurassic Park Part 2: The Chaos Continues (Game Boy)

I've always had a soft spot for the original Jurassic Park game on the Game Boy ever since I was a kid, so when Boyographic gave Jurassic Park Part 2 a glowing review on YouTube last week I hopped off to eBay and picked up a copy of it right away. While the original Jurassic Park was a top down shooter collect-a-thon the sequel takes a side scrolling platformer approach, while still retaining the key card collecting aspect and packing nearly as much shooting action as your average Contra or Mega Man game. Fortunately the difficulty level is a little more forgiving than games in the aforementioned series, but Jurassic Park Part 2 still offers up up a good challenge and should take you a couple hours to complete on your first try. It's definitely worth tracking down a copy of you're a fan of Jurassic Park and the Game Boy!

32. Atomic Robo-Kid Special (PC Engine)

Even though it's one of those "easy games that have a few very frustrating spots", I quite like this quirky little non-linear shooter. B+.

33. No Escape (SNES)

Basically the same game as the Genesis version, so my 2013 review still stands, though the C+ I gave it may be a bit generous.

34. Bronkie the Bronchiosaurus (SNES)

To my surprise, this is a perfectly decent platformer that's a far better game than its crummy cousin Captain Novolin, and probably did more to educate kids about its respective disease (asthma). Don't get me wrong, it's a middling effort at best, but I've played Disney licensed games whose design felt cheaper and less thoughtful than Bronkie. C.

Have I not even posted in the 2017 thread at all? That seems impossible, but I suppose I have been neglecting this conversation a bit.

This week I finished Telltale's Game of Thrones. If you enjoy watching Game of Thrones then I simply can't imagine being disappointed by this. It truly feels like a unique storyline that could come straight out of the TV series. The game introduces several new characters & families and manages to change perspective between the key players - just like the show. Note that it does take place at a specific point in the show's seasons, so if you are behind then you'll get spoilers and if you are ahead then you may need to refresh a bit on the fiction to place all of the events.

On the downside, there really isn't much game here. Telltale has seen their games evolve to be much less like point and click adventures and into a series of dialog choices during a few sessions of "interactive fiction." Don't expect difficult puzzle solving or even being asked to think while playing. The interactivity required of the player mostly comes down to quick reaction tests along with the ever present time limit on your dialog choices.

Here's a few more notes about other games I have beaten this year:

Metal Gear (MSX)
I paid for the NES version of Metal Gear with my own money as a kid. That game infuriated me, and it is the only game that I ever remember having to call a for-profit hint line to help me solve. I did finish it, but I think I gave it away because I don't have my original copy anymore. I tried to play Metal Gear Solid on the Playstation when it was new, but I could never really understand all the hype. It seemed like it had the same ridiculous story elements as the 8 bit game I had played years before. I just couldn't get passed that. However, as the years have passed, I've become more patient with gaming in general, and I decided it was time to play the MSX originals. I have these as part of the Metal Gear HD Collections (which I discovered I have for BOTH PS3 and X360). I finished MG1, but I'm still working on 2. There were some "Huh?" moments in there, but the experience is much better than that old NES version. I'm hoping this will help me appreciate MG Solid when I finally get around to it again.
Metal Gear 2 (MSX)
Metal Gear 2 shows us that even at an early stage, Kojima just tried to shove as many cliche'd plots as he could into one game. This is a good game in terms of the mechanics of sneaking and fighting guards, but a lot of the puzzle solving is almost like a point and click adventure. I suppose there is nothing wrong with that since those were near their height in 1990, but having the 3rd type of rations equipped so it will lure rats through a hole is something I expect in Day of the Tentacle, not a military/espionage game. This game improves upon the first in almost every way and feels more natural to solve. However along with all of its positives, the stupid plot elements are turned up and more obvious as well. The backtracking was more prominent in this one as well. Stupid character names are here too but that shouldn't be a surprise if you've ever played any MGS game. I sound negative, but I had fun with it. Certainly better than a poke in the eye.
Half Life (PC Win 95/98)
In what I think must have been 2002, a buddy lent me Half Life, and I played the first 2 hours or so on a Windows 95 laptop. I got hung up on the platforming elements and just gave it back to him. I think I was trying to play with WASD and the little mouse nub. I don't think I even had a mouse to hook up at the time. Anyway, the years have passed, and I've since played all HL 2 episodes and both Portals, so I figured it was time to go back. I considered buying the new remade version - "Black Mesa" on Steam, but I already had a version of the game in my library, so I just went with that. I still think the platforming is a bit ridiculous in this game, but I'm managing with a little help from frequent quicksaves . . . this is a truly brilliant game. My biggest complaint is with the platforming, but toward the end when they made it the focal point of the levels, it actually got better. I think my biggest praise is the way they are able to tell a compelling story around all the action with very little voice acting. You really did feel like you were a part of the accident and then the only one who could fix it. A great experience. The final boss was also a nice challenge that felt rewarding to beat.
Mass Effect Andromeda (XOne)
I found exploring the planets to be sooo tedius that I decided to skip some. I didn't even land on Havarl and only did the main story missions on Kadara in order to move on. I figured, I'd be back on a 2nd playthrough, but now I'm not so sure. I dunno if I can put up with driving the nomad around to kill enemies that give me 2 scrap items any more . . .
Most people seem to like the combat in the game, but I was confused by some of the choices the designers made.Why move melee to triangle and get rid of heavy melee? Why limit me to 3 powers, make a big deal about switching profiles, and punish me for switching? Why make absurdly long cooldowns for everything? Why make the ME2 guns feel super weak? Why make me waste so many bullets on a dumb orb? why prevent me from ordering my squadmates powers? The squad combos were so much fun!
Every character was like this. They either talk about their one thing or why they joined the initiative. And they beat you over and over the head with that ONE THING. Even the Nomad chit chat usually comes back to that thing.
Liam "Crisis Response"
Cora "Asari Commandos"
Vetra "My Sister"
etc etc etc
In ME1, you didn't know what Turians were. After the first mission with Nihlus and Saren, you got to the Citadel and discovered other Turians and you learned about them. Then you met Garrus who obviously had some things going on that were different than other Turians which instantly made him a complicated character. You wanted to talk to Garrus through the game because he revealed more about himself and what made him unique. In ME:A, I pretty much never wanted to talk to Liam or Cora after the prologue.
My wife finished the game and as she was watching me play the final mission she was like "you didn't unlock all the memories." I said - "I'll probably never do that!" I guess I missed some stuff that maybe made it feel more connected to the ME OT . . . Too bad the game was so boring that I kinda never want to play it again.

• 4 weeks later...

35. David Crane's Amazing Tennis (SNES)

36. Jimmy Connors Pro Tennis Tour (SNES)

I've beaten both of these before, and my comments (here and here respectively) and grades (B+ and C, respectively) still stand. Too bad the ending of Connors is bugged, telling you to play on a higher difficulty that doesn't exist.

37. Deadly Towers (NES)

Ah, nemesis of my childhood. I was going to map the whole thing out, but caved after the first dungeon and went with a walkthrough. Actually my dungeon map was helpful, though, since I was able to get all the items I needed from the shops that way. I don't mind the difficulty or the cryptic gameplay, but I do mind the incessant grinding (thanks to losing all your limited-supply items upon dying), the numerous useless items, the sheer pointlessness of the dungeons, and the fact that you can unwittingly make it permanently impossible to get the best weapons since the game doesn't let you revisit beaten towers. D.

38. Steel Machine (Philips CD-i)

Based on the first few levels I expected to spend weeks learning to conquer this oh-so-nineties shmup (and great-grandchild of Defender via Uridium). But it turned out that beating the third level (of six) took me twice as long as beating the rest of the game combined -- in other words, it took me half as long to beat the entire second half of the game as it did to beat a single level in the first half.

So, a truly weird difficulty curve -- or maybe I just figured the game out? Either way, what would rightly be considered a technical tour-de-force on the CD-i would, on any other platform, be a middling game with a disastrously evil control scheme and a nasty habit of blindsiding you. Still, it can be mastered, if you don't mind swearing a lot in the process. D+.

I just cheated my way through Gwendolyn on the C64, mainly because it was mentioned elsewhere that in the end you get to see the princess, which is as pretty as one of the girls in Strip Poker (both games from Artworx). Without the play through guide, I probably would not have stood a chance as this is the kind of adventure where you lose an item if you use it in the wrong place, and on plenty of locations it is not obvious which object you're supposed to use. Thus it would lead to many hours of starting over, possibly utilizing the function to save the game before taking a chance with an object.

So, what does princess Gwendolyn (which looks rather cute in her red velvet dress on the box) look like inside the game? First you rescue her in the maze:

post-5454-0-09369800-1505765079.gif

Then she follows you back to the castle:

post-5454-0-86820900-1505765113.gif

Unfortunately the game ends there, so you never get to play cards to get her to undress. Perhaps princesses don't play strip poker?

• Like 1

I forgot about this thread! I have another one to add to my list.

Astyanax: NES

0JZnwRQl.jpg

I picked this one up as a kid at a Saturday Matinee store on the $19.99 rack along with The Legend of Zelda on the same day. I had never heard of it at the time, but the graphics on the back of the box looked good, so I picked it up. I've played through it a few times before, but not for a very long time. It's not the best game in the world, but I loved it as a kid because of those graphics and the Ninja Gaiden-style cut scenes. I took a trip down memory lane, laughed at the cringe-worthy translation and terrible storyline, and beat it!

Again a lot of grinding, this time I beat Mega Man Network Transmission (NGC) :)

Like I said before I will no longer aim to 100% titles from the MMBN series, so I just did a normal 30 hour playthrough of the campaign.

Odd observation: From all my consoles, 2600 to PS4, the Cube does by far the worst picture on my Sony Bravia. Actually it's the only one where I notice that it's really far away from sharp or crisp. I was looking into getting a cable for the digital output port I noticed on the back of it, but even more odd - while the port exists, it seems Nintendo never released a cable for it?!? My component cable for the Wii doesn't fit either...

Capcom games beaten in 2017: Breath of Fire - Dragon Quarter, Resident Evil Zero, Clock Tower 3, Mega Man Battle Network 3, Duck Tales 2, Rescue Rangers 2, Devil May Cry 2, Resident Evil - Dead Aim, Chaos Legion & Mega Man Network Transmission

I don't have photo evidence, but these are the titles I beat this year (excluding the games I've seen on this thread so far).

1. Super Mario Bros. (NES)

I beat it, after a lot of controller throwing, without using warps at all! That was spring break, I think.

2. Metroid (NES)

With a walkthrough, of course.

3. Kung Fu (NES)

Many times. This is a pretty easy game, but I thought I'd include it.

4. Batman: The Video Game (NES)

Holy hell, was this hard. But I beat the Joker! YOUR MOTHER!!!

5. The Legend of Zelda (NES)

First and second quest, in a row. A save file I had been working on since high school.

6. Mega Man (NES)

The original. Not Mega Man 2. I beat it on cartridge, which is kinda cool I guess. This was also extremely difficult.

Over the weekend I finally beat Fallout New Vegas. I first got it on PS3 years ago but stopped playing because of how terrible the frame rate was in New Vegas. I bought it recently again through a Steam sale and couldn't stop playing it. It took 22 hours and I went with Mr. House this time. Next time I want to do something completely different and get the DLC on sale.