IGNORED

The New and Improved Super Game Module (aka 4th run)

opcode

Eduardo, how far along is Phoenix?

I know you guys have a pretty busy schedule but would it release maybe in mid or late 2017?

I would guess that Phoenix screenshot is a simple mockup, but I could be wrong.

One game that I'm surprised wasn't among the ones listed (in the first post of this thread) is Arkanoid. From what I remember, the port was 80% done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJxHIS_xvAc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WI4J28ZjIHc

• Like 1

Is it possible to produce games that will run on the regular CV and then have enhanced sound/graphics if used with the SGM?

It's certainly possible, since it's already been done: Mecha-8 and Mecha-9 don't actually require the SGM, but the sounds are enhanced if the SGM is plugged into the CV's expansion port.

• Like 1

Aside the 6 voices anything else new in the SGMpro? Like more RAM?

Regarding the 6 voices is it a dual AY-3-8910 setup or is it using a different chip altogether?

Last, and this is only my opinion, so take it for what it is. I thought that at 90US$ + S&H the SGM was already on the expensive side, now there likely will be no SGM "classics" runs in favor of this SGM Pro which actually costs even more at 120US$ + S&H, if I may .... ahem .... I need to ask ... why?

It seems that now the only source for the SGM (non pro) is the clone one .... not sure why you wouldn't want to support a cheaper SGM .... but as I said it's only my opinion, do as you please in the end the customers speak with their wallet.

Aside the 6 voices anything else new in the SGMpro? Like more RAM?

Regarding the 6 voices is it a dual AY-3-8910 setup or is it using a different chip altogether?

Last, and this is only my opinion, so take it for what it is. I thought that at 90US$ + S&H the SGM was already on the expensive side, now there likely will be no SGM "classics" runs in favor of this SGM Pro which actually costs even more at 120US$ + S&H, if I may .... ahem .... I need to ask ... why?

It seems that now the only source for the SGM (non pro) is the clone one .... not sure why you wouldn't want to support a cheaper SGM .... but as I said it's only my opinion, do as you please in the end the customers speak with their wallet.

We now have 8 new voices. The new chip is far more advanced than the regular PSG found inside the ColecoVision or the original SGM. We are now able to produce virtually any sound we want, from speech, to analog sound, to sampled digital sound, with minimum CPU usage, so it is a significant upgrade in terms of sound. In terms of potential, what you hear in the video is just the tip of the iceberg.

As for the regular SGM, we haven't decided yet if there will be another run, but we know that producing both versions simultaneously would be quite complicate.

• Like 1

Don't know if this was fully answered already or not. But will new games you make continue to be compatible with both versions of the sgm. Or will there be any pro version only games at some point?

We don't plan any SGM Pro exclusive games for now. The platform is already too small to fragment further. The idea is to offer seriously improved audio in some games, but otherwise same games.

Here is aninteresting tidbit: The SGM PRO is similar to the PS4 PRO in terms of philosophy, where they are supercharged versions of the original models, but otherwise run the same games, albeit with different audio/visuals. However we weren't inspired by the PS4 Pro when we selected the name for the SGM PRO. That was a total coincidence, as we decided on the name and sent the box to the printer back in July, way before the PS4 Pro name had been announced.

That is Konami SCC sound, so yes, the Pro can do that easily.

Okay, but here's the real question: Would the sound data (in the game cartridge) need to be altered significantly for it to work with the SGM Pro? Or is it just adjusting port numbers and simple stuff like that? If the SCC sound data needs to be reworked significantly, then it may not be worth the effort...

• Like 1

Okay, but here's the real question: Would the sound data (in the game cartridge) need to be altered significantly for it to work with the SGM Pro? Or is it just adjusting port numbers and simple stuff like that? If the SCC sound data needs to be reworked significantly, then it may not be worth the effort...

I assume you realize that La Mulana isn't a MSX game, right? That sounds like a SCC, but actually is a PC game.

• Like 1

Yes and no. Originally it was a PC game with visuals like a MSX game. In 2013, Pepe Vila posted an unfinished alpha version (16K) running on MSX1, but without any music.

http://www.msxgamesworld.com/gamecard.php?id=4721

http://www.msxblog.es/la-mulana-en-msx-estamos-sonando/

On YouTube, someone combined this alpha version with the SCC-like sound from the PC game to make a "what if".

Yes and no. Originally it was a PC game with visuals like a MSX game. In 2013, Pepe Vila posted an unfinished alpha version (16K) running on MSX1, but without any music.

http://www.msxgamesworld.com/gamecard.php?id=4721

http://www.msxblog.es/la-mulana-en-msx-estamos-sonando/

On YouTube, someone combined this alpha version with the SCC-like sound from the PC game to make a "what if".

Oh! I looked at the YouTube videos and thought it was footage from a fully complete MSX game. Forget I said anything. :P

• Like 1

As I indicated, our solution is more powerful and flexible. And we don't want to live forever in the shadow of the MSX... :)

How/when will the SGM Pro be available? Do we need to be on another email list for this to be notified? Are we pre-ordering this from you or will AtariAge handle that?

I like the new specs on this for the audio and look forward to hearing more (pun intended).