IGNORED

The New and Improved Super Game Module (aka 4th run)

opcode

Can you tell us when pre-orders will start for the SGM Pro? Are we looking at weeks or months? I ask because I had initially saved $90 + shipping for the original SGM, not realizing that Opcode Games was going to upgrade the hardware for its 4th run. I'm on board for the new hardware; I just want to make sure that I have enough saved to purchase the Pro and any games that are released.

Edited by ColecoGamer

How/when will the SGM Pro be available? Do we need to be on another email list for this to be notified? Are we pre-ordering this from you or will AtariAge handle that?

I like the new specs on this for the audio and look forward to hearing more (pun intended).

We don't have a firm date for when we will start pre-order yet, but we know it will be in Q1. Please stay tuned. :)

• Like 4

I just received my SGM today

I know designs have to improve but I can't avoid feeling that my brand new piece of hardware just got outdated (I felt the same with the PS4Pro so maybe it is just me)

Will there be any way of upgrading the SGM to SGM Pro? I suppose the boards will be different but maybe a trade-in program?

I know designs have to improve but I can't avoid feeling that my brand new piece of hardware just got outdated (I felt the same with the PS4Pro so maybe it is just me)

Will there be any way of upgrading the SGM to SGM Pro? I suppose the boards will be different but maybe a trade-in program?

I would actually like to get a 3rd run set even though the 4th run will be the pro. So if you want to use it until then, keep me in mind and I will buy your 3rd run when your ready to sell it. Just keep all the paperwork etc. I would like it cib ;)

I would actually like to get a 3rd run set even though the 4th run will be the pro. So if you want to use it until then, keep me in mind and I will buy your 3rd run when your ready to sell it. Just keep all the paperwork etc. I would like it cib ;)

I'm in the same boat. Dithered too long over ordering a 3rd run and then was too late. Really would like both a 3rd run and the 4th run PRO ......

Edited by Ikrananka

Actually the PRO and regular SGMs are totally different, even the cases. The SGM PRO uses a nice "clear black" case, not sure if you can see that from the pictures. It also uses a blue LED instead of the red LED found in the regular SGM. Packaging is also different. I am saying that because there is nothing we can really save from the regular in case of an upgrade. But again, we could have the regular back in stock at some point, especially considering it is more affordable.

Need to understand this correct.

Is the new SGM PRO backward compatible, so you still can play your ordinary SGM games with the SGM Pro installed.

​I understand that the ordinary SGM games not will take effect of SGM Pros new facilities with SGM Pro inserted, but still will work with RAM and Sound.

:)

Need to understand this correct.

Is the new SGM PRO backward compatible, so you still can play your ordinary SGM games with the SGM Pro installed.

​I understand that the ordinary SGM games not will take effect of SGM Pros new facilities with SGM Pro inserted, but still will work with RAM and Sound.

:)

That is correct Ole, the PRO is totally backward compatible with the original SGM. But for the new games (Pac-Man DX and Donkey Kong will be the two first) the SGM PRO will offer enhanced sound.

• Like 2

Thanks, guys this is fantastic news. I am already on the wait list for an SGM but of course am interested in an SGM Pro now. I know you haven't released details on how to be on the SGMP (Super GaMP?) wait list but I hope that my submission for the SGM was enough to at least bear consideration. I am curious though, how does the the power of the SGMP compare to say an NES or SMS? I ask this because of the ability to play Castlevania. Oh, and in order to hear the enhanced sound, is it required to install a composite video/audio board or will the sound still come through decently on the coaxial connection?

Thanks again.

Larry

Edited by malarrya

The added RAM of the SGM and SGM Pro makes programming or porting games to the CV a much easier task... a stock CV only has 1K of RAM.

The added sound chips of the SGM and SGM Pro obviously increase the sound output capabilities of the CV.

What really boosts the CV's capabilities are the bank-switching cartridge PCBs like the MegaCart and now Super Game Cartirdge PCBs. These break the 32K cartridge size barrier which means larger games can be programmed or ported to the CV, I think up to 256K in size... possibly larger but Opcode would have to chime in.

• Like 1

Thanks, guys this is fantastic news. I am already on the wait list for an SGM but of course am interested in an SGM Pro now. I know you haven't released details on how to be on the SGMP (Super GaMP?) wait list but I hope that my submission for the SGM was enough to at least bear consideration. I am curious though, how does the the power of the SGMP compare to say an NES or SMS? I ask this because of the ability to play Castlevania. Oh, and in order to hear the enhanced sound, is it required to install a composite video/audio board or will the sound still come through decently on the coaxial connection?

Thanks again.

Larry

No need to install any audio boards Larry. The SGM Pro sound will come from your RF output was usual. And if you have a modded CV with A/V outputs, sound will come out from the dedicated audio output. The only requirement is that your CV shouldn't have been modded to remove the 12V power supply.

No need to install any audio boards Larry. The SGM Pro sound will come from your RF output was usual. And if you have a modded CV with A/V outputs, sound will come out from the dedicated audio output. The only requirement is that your CV shouldn't have been modded to remove the 12V power supply.

How/where/why is the 12V required?

• 2 weeks later...
I am back from vacation which means Opcode Games is back on business. Our priorities early this year are:

• Ship remaining SGMs, including 1st and 2nd run French SCARTs. They were assembled last year but I just didn’t have the time to ship them due to conflicting and busy schedule before leaving to Brazil.
  • Investigate and fix issues with some copies of Penguin Adventure.
  • Beta testing SGM Pro. We will soon start pre-orders, and also plan to offer a trade-in program for 3rd run buyers. Please stay tuned for more details soon. The estimated shipping date for the SGM Pro is July/August 2017, with two games available around the launch window (Pac-Man DX and Donkey Kong)
  • Ship replacement nameplates for 2nd run (long overdue)
  • Announce our new Color line titles for the upcoming months.
  • Like 1

I actually feel the same way. I pre-ordered the SGM back in May 2016 (3rd run). It didn't arrive until December 2016. Almost 8 months. So I finally get my SGM and I don't think two weeks go by and I see this Pro version.

I don't even have any SGM games yet. The $100 SGM is a beautiful box sitting on my shelf until I can save up $60+ for one game to use with it. But, that's not even true really because I don't see any SGM games for sale. At least not the ones I want to play. Where is DK? Gradius? Even if I had $60 to spend on a SGM game I wouldn't be able to actually buy it. They're not available.

Now, don't get me wrong. I realize this is a hobby market and I should be grateful new hardware and software is coming (which I am). But I would be lying if I said I wasn't at least a little disheartened in that it took SO long to get it and now it's already old news.

If I'm being honest here, it's almost enough to make me not interested in new stuff for CV any more.

I'm not sorry I bought the SGM. It's beautiful. Maybe one day, I will actually be able to use it.

Edited by cbmeeks

I actually feel the same way. I pre-ordered the SGM back in May 2016 (3rd run). It didn't arrive until December 2016. Almost 8 months. So I finally get my SGM and I don't think two weeks go by and I see this Pro version.

I don't even have any SGM games yet. The $100 SGM is a beautiful box sitting on my shelf until I can save up $60+ for one game to use with it. But, that's not even true really because I don't see any SGM games for sale. At least not the ones I want to play. Where is DK? Gradius? Even if I had $60 to spend on a SGM game I wouldn't be able to actually buy it. They're not available.

Now, don't get me wrong. I realize this is a hobby market and I should be grateful new hardware and software is coming (which I am). But I would be lying if I said I wasn't at least a little disheartened in that it took SO long to get it and now it's already old news.

If I'm being honest here, it's almost enough to make me not interested in new stuff for CV any more.

I'm not sorry I bought the SGM. It's beautiful. Maybe one day, I will actually be able to use it.

You need to spend more time reading the threads. It was already mentioned before the 3rd run came out that there would be another version afterward to give people warning. Then in another thread Opcode talked about possibly doing some kind of return for new version. Don't know if that was finalized but it was talked about.

So it is unfortunate but like all things in life if you do the research then you are knowledgeable about what is going on before you buy things.

• Like 2

Gradius and Penguin Adventure are available through the AtariAge store. DK hasn't been released yet, but hopefully soon. All future Opcode products will be sold through AtariAge.

• Like 1

Gradius and Penguin Adventure are available through the AtariAge store. DK hasn't been released yet, but hopefully soon. All future Opcode products will be sold through AtariAge.

I've seen this mentioned a couple of times but when I go to the AtariAge store, I don't see an "add to cart" for those two games.

Penguin and Gradius just sold out last week. In the meantime you can enjoy our COLOR series, we have 3 games available with more coming soon!

Bosconian has been out of stock at Atari Age, with a message saying it will be available again in early February... is this still on track?

Thanks.