IGNORED

The New and Improved Super Game Module (aka 4th run)

opcode

A new, backwards-compatible console will be a great thing, if done right (and from everything I've ever seen, if anyone will do it right, it's Eduardo). I was never enthusiastic about the SGM Pro as an interim step, so I'm glad it's been put on hold in favor of getting more SGMs out there and then moving to the Prometheus. Bravo!

• Like 1

Massachusetts, USA – February 10, 2017 – We have been receiving a lot of feedback since we announced the Super Game Module Pro back in January 1st, and based on that we decided to change our plans accordingly:

1) The SGM Pro is now indefinitely on hold.

2) Instead the sound subsystem we created was transferred to Project Prometheus, a new super 8-bit console coming from Opcode Games, and it will be fully backward compatible with the ColecoVision and the Super Game Module.

It wasn’t an easy decision, but let me give you a little background so you can better understand why we changed our plans. We started developing the SGM Pro back in early 2016. The board (PCB) was created way back in March, we even printed the boxes and stocked the clear black cases. That was a considerable investment in time and money we already made. However later in 2016, the opportunity for Project Prometheus arose, the perfect conjunction of many happy factors. Add to that the aforementioned feedback we got where: 1) people were frustrated by a new version of the SGM and the confusion it may cause, 2) people were really looking for a new ColecoVision compatible console. In the end of the day it became clear we had too many hardware products planned, and the SGM Pro was looking more and more like the Sega 32X of the ColecoVision line. So we made the hard decision of pulling the plug on the SGM Pro, even though that represents quite a financial hit to us in terms of inventory. On the other hand we believe Project Prometheus will better provide what ColecoVision and retro gaming general community alike are looking for.

And what about the regular Super Game Module? Well, that is the good news. Pre-orders for the 4th run will start in just a couple of week. Same deluxe packaging as the previous run at the same $90 price. Moreover, all games you saw during the SGM Pro presentation are still coming for the regular SGM.

More details about Project Prometheus will be revealed later this year. However please notice we aren’t realistically expecting to release Project Prometheus until late 2018.

Grazi and Ed.

This is such great news! Almost *every single day* on our ColecoVision fan Facebook page we get the question of "Where can I buy a ColecoVision?" "Do you think they will ever make a new one?" "My old ColecoVision doesn't work, where can I get a system that plays these games?" and when you look at systems like the Nintendo NES/Famicom with all their new hardware coming out (the AVS system, Analogue NT-Mini, tons of other knock-offs) it just makes sense to build a new compatible system considering the amount of games that have been released. Have you discussed the output of the new system yet? (HDMI, please!) :)

I'm hoping guys like TPR will help Opcode Games with all this testing. ;)

I would love to help in any way possible! ;)

• Like 3

Massachusetts, USA – February 10, 2017 – We have been receiving a lot of feedback since we announced the Super Game Module Pro back in January 1st, and based on that we decided to change our plans accordingly:

1) The SGM Pro is now indefinitely on hold.

2) Instead the sound subsystem we created was transferred to Project Prometheus, a new super 8-bit console coming from Opcode Games, and it will be fully backward compatible with the ColecoVision and the Super Game Module.

It wasn’t an easy decision, but let me give you a little background so you can better understand why we changed our plans. We started developing the SGM Pro back in early 2016. The board (PCB) was created way back in March, we even printed the boxes and stocked the clear black cases. That was a considerable investment in time and money we already made. However later in 2016, the opportunity for Project Prometheus arose, the perfect conjunction of many happy factors. Add to that the aforementioned feedback we got where: 1) people were frustrated by a new version of the SGM and the confusion it may cause, 2) people were really looking for a new ColecoVision compatible console. In the end of the day it became clear we had too many hardware products planned, and the SGM Pro was looking more and more like the Sega 32X of the ColecoVision line. So we made the hard decision of pulling the plug on the SGM Pro, even though that represents quite a financial hit to us in terms of inventory. On the other hand we believe Project Prometheus will better provide what ColecoVision and retro gaming general community alike are looking for.

And what about the regular Super Game Module? Well, that is the good news. Pre-orders for the 4th run will start in just a couple of week. Same deluxe packaging as the previous run at the same $90 price. Moreover, all games you saw during the SGM Pro presentation are still coming for the regular SGM.

More details about Project Prometheus will be revealed later this year. However please notice we aren’t realistically expecting to release Project Prometheus until late 2018.

Grazi and Ed.

It might be too early to say this, but put me down for the new 8-bit console system! Pinch me; I think I'm dreaming.

• Like 1

Project Prometheus reminds me of the Apple IIGS. GS stands for Graphics and Sound. The 8-bit Apple II had been upgraded along the way up to the IIe Platinum, but a leap needed to be made in architecture to go beyond. A significant attraction was that it was 100% compatible with all previous Apple II software (more like 98% in reality). The Apple II line -- the fun computer -- was retired by Apple in favor of the Mac to compete in business computing.

The Adam was something of this sort, with an approach to education... but the overwhelming desire to keep it as an expansion module didn't work too well, especially since the video was so limiting. That old video chip, as innovative and affordable as it was, is a serious challenge to work around.

• Like 2

Wow I just had to pop in and say, YES YES YES to Opcode. Just the other day my modified Coleco started to give corruption lines around the graphics and I thought to myself...Ugh I really don't want to have to do another RAM change on this really old hardware. I just hope someone comes out with a robust replacement soon.

To my very surprise I hear about this project and I am 100% behind this!!

I just hope it can use the same accessories and such.

Looking forward to new info when it comes out!!

Oh Eduardo and Grazi, please take your time on this one and make it really robust and dependable! I really do not care for "cheap" on this console, I would like to see really well made and do not mind paying more for it, since I will be using this system for many many years!

Just my opinion of course.

Edited by imstarryeyed
  • Like 3

I'd never even known about the SGM Pro before this (boo on me for not paying attention, I suppose!), and it's a shame to hear it was canned, but the announcement of an entirely new console is an exciting thing to come back to after all this time, regardless! Definitely gonna be looking forward to hearing more about this. Heaven only knows that we really do need a modern replacement/successor for those aging CVs, much as I adore them anyway in spite of their flakiness. (Even if it was only a CV replacement, I'd be perfectly happy with that, but it being its own platform that happens to be able to play CV stuff as well? Even better.)

It may be a bit early to get too excited, but I feel like the project is in good hands with Opcode. Producing and supporting an entirely new console is no small nor simple feat, and this could easily end up garnering a lot of attention down the line. It could end up being something the classic gaming community as a whole can get behind, not just limited to CV enthusiasts, and that thought does excite me. But we'll see what happens in the coming months. Consider me interested!

• Like 1

I'm cautiously optimistic about this. I'd like to see some preliminary case designs and some other proof of concept stuff. There's a part of me that worries this project will never see the light of day. However if it does, and it's done well and the price is right, I would be a day one supporter.

Putting my initial pessimism aside, the OpCode people are behind it and they've got a proven track record. It's certainly an ambitious project, but if something like the RetroUSB AVS can happen so can this. Perhaps these types of "neo retro" consoles will be the wave of the future? Perhaps they will phase out SOAC and emulation based multi machines? Only time will tell.

• Like 3

OK, so I wasn't expecting this, especially since it was all vaporware and promises for the time being, but really glad that you guys seem to like the idea. How things have changed, 10 years ago I would be facing pitchforks and torches! :P

So thanks a lot for the support!

As you will see, there is something very unique to this project I don't think anyone else is doing in the large-scale.

• Like 9

OK, so I wasn't expecting this, especially since it was all vaporware and promises for the time being, but really glad that you guys seem to like the idea. How things have changed, 10 years ago I would be facing pitchforks and torches! :P

So thanks a lot for the support!

As you will see, there is something very unique to this project I don't think anyone else is doing in the large-scale.

You definitely have my support! Just a quick question: will Opcode Games implement the SGM Pro concept into the new console or the SGM?

Sad to see SGM Pro go away.

New system sounds like fun.

Would have been happy to buy both. SGMs on eBay sell for $200-$300, so I'm not sure why any SGM buyer would complain when they could just flip it if they wanted to.

I agree . A new system sounds ok but at the end of the day the cost on his end would probably get so high . And not to mention the time to get it finished would take much longer than two years . Two years would turn into three and then four and so on . Then at some point possibly losing interest as real life gets in the way and in five years who would really be interested and pay up to buy one . I was really quite excited for the new sgm also . My opinion would be to continue the plans for the new sgm somehow . And possibly keep working on the new console . I am just offering my own personal feedback is all .

• Like 1

While I welcome and support the new Prometheus console, I'm quite sad that the ColecoVision won't get it's own speech module now. I know there's the challenge of getting people to program for it but it still would have been nice to have it. Out of most of the old pre-NES consoles, ColecoVision is pretty much the only one that doesn't have a voice module. I think you should put out the SGM Pro for that reason and especially because you already have a good bit invested in materials and time, which would be a real shame to lose out on. Just because a few people are opposed to the idea, doesn't mean we all are. Please think about it and reconsider things, I know others feel the same way. :)

• Like 4

While I welcome and support the new Prometheus console, I'm quite sad that the ColecoVision won't get it's own speech module now. I know there's the challenge of getting people to program for it but it still would have been nice to have it. Out of most of the old pre-NES consoles, ColecoVision is pretty much the only one that doesn't have a voice module. I think you should put out the SGM Pro for that reason and especially because you already have a good bit invested in materials and time, which would be a real shame to lose out on. Just because a few people are opposed to the idea, doesn't mean we all are. Please think about it and reconsider things, I know others feel the same way. :)

And I dont know about anyone else but playing coleco games on some other system doesn't seem right . Heck , why not save time and money and figure how to put a cart slot on a Rasberry Pi or something if you want to plug coleco carts into a new and different system .

Kevtris just added CV compat (as well as SG1000, SMS, GB, GBC and more to come) to the Analogue Nt Mini ... the console is not cheap but his Z3K if it really comes out seems all the more interesting.

Thread is here:
http://atariage.com/forums/topic/242970-fpga-based-videogame-system/page-1?do=findComment&comment=3326314

the Nt Mini jailbroken FWs are around page 50 I believe.

Wouldn't that route, an FPGA based thing, be more in line with what people really want? As soon as the jailbroken FW came out the nt Mini went sold out ... before that the RetroUSB AVS (being much cheaper) was good enough and preferred.

Anyway wrt SGM Pro -> Project Prometheus .... what actual numbers of sales are you thinking of?

1K, 10K, more?
What is the price point you are targeting? At 120+ The SGM Pro was not cheap, heck at 90 the SGM nonPro was not cheap, so I can only guess it's gonna go north of 300? Right?

Kevtris just added CV compat (as well as SG1000, SMS, GB, GBC and more to come) to the Analogue Nt Mini ... the console is not cheap but his Z3K if it really comes out seems all the more interesting.

Thread is here:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/242970-fpga-based-videogame-system/page-1?do=findComment&comment=3326314

the Nt Mini jailborken FWs are mentioned around page 50 I believe.

Would that route, an FPGA based thing be more in line with what people really want, as soon as the JB FW came out the nt Mini went sold out ... before that the RetroUSB AVS (being much cheaper) was good enough and preferred.

Anyway wrt SGM Pro -> Project Prometheus .... what actual numbers of sales are you thinking of?

1K, 10K, more?

What is the price point you are targeting? At 120+ The SGM Pro was not cheap, heck at 90 the SGM nonPro was not cheap, so I can only guess it's gonna go north of 300? Right?

Prometheus is a new console that also runs ColecoVision games. If you only want CV emulation and don't mind FPGA, then you may find other options available. As for target price, it is too soon for that, but I can say we don't plan to go north $300. In fact we don't plan to be as high as $300.

• Like 2

Prometheus is a new console that also runs ColecoVision games. If you only want CV emulation and don't mind FPGA, then you may find other options available. As for target price, it is too soon for that, but I can say we don't plan to go north $300. In fact we don't plan to be as high as $300.

Must speculate .... can't resist : if it is a new console I see backcompat coming one of 3 ways.

1) emulation, the new console runs on whatever hardware you want and via emu CV is implemented

2) CV hardware thrown in (a Z80, a 9918, a 76489) but not important for main console ..... that would be a little pushing it to me

3) evolution of CV hardware and some mix HW/SW backcompat support

Case 1) it's obviously not what one would expect from CV backcompat. Case 2) I do not want to talk about as it is just cobbled together to say it is supported.

Case 3) is the interesting one. For backcompat you would need a Z80 or derivative (R800 of MSX TurboR lineage or eZ80 from modern times), a 9918 video chip or derivative (9938, 9958 from MSX2+/TurboR era, or steal the SMS video chip but with wrong colors for the 9918 modes) or something like the F18A (which is FPGA based), let's not even consider the soundchip at all.

Now case 3) looks terribly being a souped up MSX TurboR (the eZ80 is similar enough in this context) due to CPU+VDP requirements and I am not sure how much the CV crowd would care for that path, but I am no expert. If you go the F18A (FPGA) route may as well throw in an evolved Z80 core and whatever audio you seem to like these days in the FPGA.

We'll see what you announce and what it is going to happen. But with the price you suggest given the SGM Pro was 120, there's maybe another 150/60 US$ for you to stay below the 280US$ mark (arbitrary set to be below 300US$ in a way that I can relate), which makes the rest of your console cheap in comparison to the SGM Pro (as it needs a CPU, memory, a VDP, ports controller, actual controllers etc....) or the SGM Pro on the expensive side. Again I am not an expert so I'd wait and see what you come up with.

Must speculate .... can't resist : if it is a new console I see backcompat coming one of 3 ways.

1) emulation, the new console runs on whatever hardware you want and via emu CV is implemented

2) CV hardware thrown in (a Z80, a 9918, a 76489) but not important for main console ..... that would be a little pushing it to me

3) evolution of CV hardware and some mix HW/SW backcompat support

Case 1) it's obviously not what one would expect from CV backcompat. Case 2) I do not want to talk about as it is just cobbled together to say it is supported.

Case 3) is the interesting one. For backcompat you would need a Z80 or derivative (R800 of MSX TurboR lineage or eZ80 from modern times), a 9918 video chip or derivative (9938, 9958 from MSX2+/TurboR era, or steal the SMS video chip but with wrong colors for the 9918 modes) or something like the F18A (which is FPGA based), let's not even consider the soundchip at all.

Now case 3) looks terribly being a souped up MSX TurboR (the eZ80 is similar enough in this context) due to CPU+VDP requirements and I am not sure how much the CV crowd would care for that path, but I am no expert. If you go the F18A (FPGA) route may as well throw in an evolved Z80 core and whatever audio you seem to like these days in the FPGA.

We'll see what you announce and what it is going to happen. But with the price you suggest given the SGM Pro was 120, there's maybe another 150/60 US$ for you to stay below the 280US$ mark (arbitrary set to be below 300US$ in a way that I can relate), which makes the rest of your console cheap in comparison to the SGM Pro (as it needs a CPU, memory, a VDP, ports controller, actual controllers etc....) or the SGM Pro on the expensive side. Again I am not an expert so I'd wait and see what you come up with.

From a price perspective, you need to understand that since we won't be manufacturing dozens of thousands of those things, setup costs are a bigger component. That is why price doesn't increase linearly.

As for specs, as Admiral Kirk would say, "you may ask", because we prefer to keep our cards close to our chest for now. We will start talking in a few months though.

• Like 4

Does this mean that the Intellivision is now out of the loop as far as a SG Module goes?

That is important information for a lot of us folks! :)

I will be totally transparent here. The IntelliXpander is still coming, however Prometheus is a bigger priority for strategic reasons. And since we only have a single hardware team, we will start working on the IntelliXpander as soon as we get Prometheus in a more advanced stage, which probably should happen later this year.

• Like 2

I actually feel the same way. I pre-ordered the SGM back in May 2016 (3rd run). It didn't arrive until December 2016. Almost 8 months. So I finally get my SGM and I don't think two weeks go by and I see this Pro version.

I don't even have any SGM games yet. The $100 SGM is a beautiful box sitting on my shelf until I can save up $60+ for one game to use with it. But, that's not even true really because I don't see any SGM games for sale. At least not the ones I want to play. Where is DK? Gradius? Even if I had $60 to spend on a SGM game I wouldn't be able to actually buy it. They're not available.

Now, don't get me wrong. I realize this is a hobby market and I should be grateful new hardware and software is coming (which I am). But I would be lying if I said I wasn't at least a little disheartened in that it took SO long to get it and now it's already old news.

If I'm being honest here, it's almost enough to make me not interested in new stuff for CV any more.

I'm not sorry I bought the SGM. It's beautiful. Maybe one day, I will actually be able to use it.

There isn't 1 game on Pixelboy's or CollectorVision's sites that interest you? Not even 1?