IGNORED

Tomy Tutor and Pyuuta Scans

hardcorehubz

Hi,

Was told to try my luck here. Was wanting to help this guy out with scans for his awesome project -

http://www.classicplastic.net/helpline/TutorReadMe.html

He's basically gotten clean dumps of all the Tomy Tutor and Pyuuta games, and now is looking for high quality scans. Are there any collectors here who could maybe help?

Thanks,

- Hubz

• Like 1

I'm the ksarulofpurdimal referenced in the dumps section on the site, Hubz. Lately, I've been trying to get a good dump of the Japanese Demonstration cartridge, but I've only been able to get the first half of it to dump so far (it is not a normal Tomy cartridge, as it is the protective black blob of conformal coating on a surface mounted IC-style board).

I have a pretty complete set of documentation/boxes for both the US and the Japanese titles (and all of the US/Japanese system variants--Tutor, Pyuuta, Pyuuta Jr., Pyuuta MK II, and the known peripherals). I've scanned a few of them for the project, but they are apparently not to the standard of perfection they want (I scan them into 600 DPI color PDF files).

In the US, you basically have me, Cameron Kaiser, and one or two others with relatively complete collections. In Japan there are a lot more. There are also a couple of hard-core collectors in Europe, but the overall number of active collectors outside of Japan is not high (maybe 100 of us).

• Like 2

Ksarul if you could post the scans you did I know they would be of use for other sites such as the Launchbox Game Database if you don't mind providing them? That is odd 600dpi isn't good enough when this stuff is so hard to come by. But I appreciate greatly anything you can do :)

@hardcorehubz,

Checkout post #5 above. :)

-M@

I pretty much stopped doing additional Tomy scans after the ones I put in post #5 were rejected. I have personal copies of every single Tutor/Pyuuta cartridge except for the US Demonstration cartridge and BASIC 1 for the Pyuuta MK-II. The only box I am missing is Rescue Copter, and I think I have all of the Japanese cartridge instruction sheets that were included in the Pyuuta cart boxes (most didn't have one, as the instructions were printed on the back, but a couple of them had more complicated instructions that required an additional instruction sheet). I also have the manuals for the Pyuuta and the Pyuuta Jr, along with a few of the advertizing flimsies that were put out at various times.

I have a Tomy question. I recently learned that one of the original Demo carts showed a "TI-Adapter" as coming for the Tutor. Cameron seems to think this was some type of expansion box that could use TI PEB cards, which may be the case, however it seemed that he surmised that since the Tutor's expansion box was not mentioned in that cart, but was in later ads (and the TI-Adapter in turn was not). However, with a name like "TI-Adapter" would it not make more sense that it was a TI-99 cartridge adapter so that the Tutor could access the library of TI carts? It was common in those days to do something like that, like the Atari 2600 adapter to play 2600 carts on a Colecovision. It just seems to me that considering the name "TI-Adapter" that it was unrelated to the Tutor expansion box, but was dropped and the expansion box was something else entirely.

Also, I would think that Tomy could make more money by making users have to buy an expansion box using their cards, and not one that uses ones made by TI. I could only see a benefit in a cartridge adapter since it would expand the software library and attract buyers, whereas a TI compatible expansion box would only take away sales that otherwise could have went straight into Tomy's pocket when users had to buy Tomy branded cards.

• 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 1/1/2017 at 7:19 PM, hardcorehubz said:

Hi,

Was told to try my luck here. Was wanting to help this guy out with scans for his awesome project -

http://www.classicplastic.net/helpline/TutorReadMe.html

He's basically gotten clean dumps of all the Tomy Tutor and Pyuuta games, and now is looking for high quality scans. Are there any collectors here who could maybe help?

Thanks,

- Hubz

Interesting... when I go to the link above I get this...

What!.thumb.JPG.95cee8bd2bc201ae4f93b2688a28596e.JPG

9 hours ago, --- Ω --- said:

Interesting... when I go to the link above I get this...

What!.thumb.JPG.95cee8bd2bc201ae4f93b2688a28596e.JPG

Well, it is an HTTP link, not HTTPS. There shouldn't be a certificate error at all unless the browser is forcing it to HTTPS erroneously.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, JB said:

Well, it is an HTTP link, not HTTPS. There shouldn't be a certificate error at all unless the browser is forcing it to HTTPS erroneously.

just about all web browsers are doing this if you don't have the ssl certificate(or a wrongly configured one) I work at a place that handles a few thousand websites and have been working on this for years

and yet, there are businesses out there that think they can man-in-the-middle SSL certs, or otherwise eavesdrop on encrypted transactions, because "PRODUCTIVITY!", and the like, adding to this mess...

Really, sometimes I think the world does not know what it wants. 

Do you want traffic free from meddling and eavesdropping, or don't you? 

Do you want all traffic secured by default, or don't you?

Seems nobody can agree on something sensible, they all want exceptions to each other's rules.   "No snooping unless it's government or law enforcement" does not work in technology circles. If government can do it, so can petty hackers and criminals. 

In this particular case though, it seems to have worked itself out.  I get no SSL cert warnings or "not encrypted" warnings.  Just venting about the situation with SSL, and how it is getting pulled in opposing directions.

7 hours ago, tater1337 said:

just about all web browsers are doing this if you don't have the ssl certificate(or a wrongly configured one) I work at a place that handles a few thousand websites and have been working on this for years

It is kind of ridiculous for the browser to force it to HTTPS, and then throw a big scary warning about the site hacking you because the certificate for the secure mode the site doesn't even support is invalid.

I could rant for days about web browsers.

• Like 1