IGNORED

Gorf on MAME...problems

Mock

Using mameUI, it tells you exactly what file its looking for and in what container.

Where is that located? Is there an option to see it? I've only got the 0.181 for a few days haven't gotten used to the changes and found everything yet. It's changed a lot since the last release I used years ago.

Where is that located? Is there an option to see it? I've only got the 0.181 for a few days haven't gotten used to the changes and found everything yet. It's changed a lot since the last release I used years ago.

You have standard mame. This is a variation called mameui.

http://www.mameui.info/

Its for 64 bit Windows only. Download "mameui64 v.181".

Edited by mr_me

You have standard mame. This is a variation called mameui.

http://www.mameui.info/

Its for 64 bit Windows only. Download "mameui64 v.181".

Thanks! I'll check it out.

I set up a raspberry pi last night with retropie and emulation station. The games all work but I've got an issue with the NES 30 Pro 8bitdo controller not working in MAME I've got to figure out. The won't let me hit TAB on the keyboard to map either. I've read several threads on how to fix it but none have worked so far. Going to work on that today as possible.

Things sure have changed with these old games in the past couple of years lol.

Thanks! I'll check it out.

I set up a raspberry pi last night with retropie and emulation station. The games all work but I've got an issue with the NES 30 Pro 8bitdo controller not working in MAME I've got to figure out. The won't let me hit TAB on the keyboard to map either. I've read several threads on how to fix it but none have worked so far. Going to work on that today as possible.

Things sure have changed with these old games in the past couple of years lol.

What version of RetroPie are you running? For Mame, are you using Mame4All or the Libretto version? I am using Mame4All and have the NES 30 Pro 8Bitdo controller working with no issues. With that controller, I believe there are a certain series of steps one has to complete which are outlined on the RetroPie site and they differ slightly depending on the version of RetroPie being used.

Figured it out...

basically the problem is the firmware and the default settings in the bluetooth config. The new NES 30 Pro's are shipping with the latest firmware now (1.71) and the config in RetroPie has a default setting for a hack that works with the older firmware version, it just says "older" not exactly what version...but 1.71 is new (for now) and if you attach and then configure the controller, it makes a config file during the set up...and it doesn't jive with the new version at all, i assume the firmware fixed the mapping issues so its got a conflict if you leave the hack on.

I just wiped my card and started over...turned the hack off before i connected and configured the NES 30 Pro...that fixed the issue.

So if anyone has this problem and finds this thread in a search...turn the hack off before you configure the controller if you have 1.71 firmware lol.

Seems to be working now...i've updated everything to the latest versions..Only issue i've found so far in MAME is Indian Jones Temple of Doom wont let me add a quarter to start the game...other MAME stuff all seems to be working.

I've seen a lot of people trying to configure the aspect ratio in MAME, for me its easier to just adjust it on my TV itself...so I've been doing that instead of trying to fool with each individual game.

Another thing I've got going on, the TAB key doesn't work like it should in game...doesn't bring up the config options in MAME.

• Like 1

Figured it out...

basically the problem is the firmware and the default settings in the bluetooth config. The new NES 30 Pro's are shipping with the latest firmware now (1.71) and the config in RetroPie has a default setting for a hack that works with the older firmware version, it just says "older" not exactly what version...but 1.71 is new (for now) and if you attach and then configure the controller, it makes a config file during the set up...and it doesn't jive with the new version at all, i assume the firmware fixed the mapping issues so its got a conflict if you leave the hack on.

I just wiped my card and started over...turned the hack off before i connected and configured the NES 30 Pro...that fixed the issue.

So if anyone has this problem and finds this thread in a search...turn the hack off before you configure the controller if you have 1.71 firmware lol.

Seems to be working now...i've updated everything to the latest versions..Only issue i've found so far in MAME is Indian Jones Temple of Doom wont let me add a quarter to start the game...other MAME stuff all seems to be working.

I've seen a lot of people trying to configure the aspect ratio in MAME, for me its easier to just adjust it on my TV itself...so I've been doing that instead of trying to fool with each individual game.

Another thing I've got going on, the TAB key doesn't work like it should in game...doesn't bring up the config options in MAME.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/260414-8bitdo-fc30-pro-nes30-pro-bluetooth-connection-fixed/

• 3 weeks later...

You will need to get votrax.zip, and in it the filename will be sc01a.bin. Just put it alongside your gorf.zip and everything should be dandy flappers again.

Here try this one.. just snagged it offa usenet and it looks like it's only 5 days old, so maybe it'll work.

Thanks - that old votrax file was driving me up a wall. :)

Edited by Nathan Strum

• 2 weeks later...

Does it still support the old samples (for now)?

I don't think so, but I'll admit I haven't tried it. It says they're "no longer required", but that doesn't really answer whether or not they'd still work if present. It's likely you'd likely have to roll back to .180.

Edit: Just read this in the whatsnew.txt file:

-votrax sc01: Simulate. [O. Galibert]

* Complete simulation of digital section based on die imaging

* Removed now-obsolete samples

* Plosives are still imperfect

Edited by Nathan Strum
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately the old Votrax sample player has been completely removed.

The sad thing is that the old "fake" sample player used to have a compiler flag USE_FAKE_VOTRAX that could have been used to switch between the two options, but it was all just removed completely. I understand how groundbreaking the new Votrax simulator is from a technical perspective (and yes, I know that is the primary goal of MAME), but IMHO it should have been left as a conditional compile until it was more fully baked.

I just reverted the checkin 2c79c1ed in my MAME build to get a 0.183 that sounds right from a player perspective. Hopefully they get it working better soon. :)

• 8 months later...
  • 2 years later...

MEGABUMP!  WITH A PURPOSE!

MAME .225 just got released a few nights ago, and with it, MAJOR improvements to VOTRAX, courtesy of Aaron Giles!  Pitch control still needs a little work...

And this, months after Bill and Ted Face the Music! XD

P.S.:  I already hear the improvements in Wizard of Wor and I hear this at the Radar screen in attract mode:

"I'M OUT A SIGHT.  HA HA HA"

I C whut U did thar, Mr. Nutting! XD

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JFD62780 said:

MAME .225 just got released a few nights ago, and with it, MAJOR improvements to VOTRAX, courtesy of Aaron Giles!  Pitch control still needs a little work...

Yep - a definite improvement! Gorf is also considerably better. It sounds a little "soft", but it's definitely closer to the arcade game.

• Like 1