IGNORED

1541 Floppy Drive Stuck on Drive 9

Win16fan

Hello,

So I recently purchased a NTSC C64c from my local game shop and a 1541 Floppy drive from ebay. The drive works, but there is a problem, it only responds to being called "9" instead of "8." I have tried various commands from both the internet and the 1541 manual and I cannot get this drive back to 8. I have not opened up the drive to see if there were any mods to it and there is no device id switch on the back like some of the modded drives have. The seller had a picture of the drive responding to the command: Load "Game 3",8,1, so why does this drive not respond to 8 on my C64c? I don't know what model of 64 he had. The guy was also selling other 1541s so maybe he accidentally gave me one of his modded ones.

What I'm asking is if I need to mod this drive to get it back to 8 or could there be something wrong with my C64c? I have no soldering experience in case anyone asks.

Thanks in advance.

It's time to take the lid off the drive and have a look at the device number jumpers on the circuit board. I just fixed a drive that was stuck on device number 10. Someone had attempted to add a device number switch and their soldering attempt damaged the jumper trace, causing it to lift off of the board. On your drive, someone may have cut the trace on a jumper to change that drive from device 8 to device 9. Once you get the lid off the drive, look at the board and tell us what assy. number you have (should be printed on the corner of the board), then we can tell you where to look for the jumper.

It's time to take the lid off the drive and have a look at the device number jumpers on the circuit board. I just fixed a drive that was stuck on device number 10. Someone had attempted to add a device number switch and their soldering attempt damaged the jumper trace, causing it to lift off of the board. On your drive, someone may have cut the trace on a jumper to change that drive from device 8 to device 9. Once you get the lid off the drive, look at the board and tell us what assy. number you have (should be printed on the corner of the board), then we can tell you where to look for the jumper.

THIS. The drive mentioned in the OP likely a second of a set. Address 8 is needed for loading many programs with 9 used for backing up disks or application saves. All my Commodore Disk Drives have both an 8-9 toggle switch and a reset button installed.

Someone modified it to be device #9 as stated in the previous posts. You have to either add or remove solder from certain pads on the board to change the device number. Its not hard and is outlined in the manual...although it voids your warranty with Commodore :) If you are not handy with a solder iron or not good with removing or adding solder you probably don't want to change it. I have a like new boxed 1541 drive that is the default device #8 if you are looking to purchase one...just PM me. You can then use it with the drive you purchased on ebay and be able to copy disks, launch multi disk games that are compatible with dual drives and so on.

Edited by eightbit

A little late but all 1541's except for 1541-II does not have convenient device ID selector. CBM designed the drive so it'd default to device 8 unless someone open the drive up and cut one or 2 jumper traces to change ID. The location varies depending on the board revision but it's almost always 2 jumper pads next to each other. Odds are your drive was cut to be 9 and there was another 1541 somewhere that wasn't included that was still set to 8.

1541-II (as well as 1571 and 1581) uses DIP switch on the back and is soooo much easier to change ID anytime.

You can also change the number temporarily by doing the following in BASIC:

OPEN 15,9,15:PRINT#15,"M-W",CHR$(119)CHR$(0)CHR$(2)CHR$(8+32)CHR$(8+64)

CLOSE 15

This will change the number temporarily from 9 to 8, until you reset the drive or power it off and back on. You can use this as a method of changing it to 8 until you can do the hardware change.