IGNORED

ATARI Cassette belts now available -1010, 410, XC12

Magic Knight

Good information for those with the original 410 made in Japan by Sanyo. These have the aluminum carry handle (see photo). Unlike the more common Hong Kong 410 that has three belts, this version (with carry handle) only has two belts. One main drive belt for PLAY/FF/RWD and a counter belt. So there is bad news and good news. The bad news is that the 410 belt kit is for the Hong Kong 410s. The good news is that the play belt in Magic Knight's 410 kit (3 belts) is an adequate substitute and will work on this Japanese 410. None of the three belts in the kit will work as a replacement for the counter belt in this original 410 (Japan) if that one is broke or stretched out.

post-27335-0-47967400-1479528270_thumb.j

Before I ordered these, I pretty much assumed they'd be different as what are the odds that a Japanese Sanyo player would use the exact same belt as one from Hong Kong. Luckily one of them is close enough to serve as the PLAY/FF/RW belt. So, I just said that I'd "take one for the team" and give it a try. Unfortunately for me, once I fixed the belt, I discovered that one of the rubber friction wheels no longer makes sufficient contact on the other wheel for FF to work. There has been some information in other 410 belt threads that claims that the two 410s share the same belts and that is just not the case.

I wanted to thank Magic Knight for having these kits available as I ordered this with eyes wide open knowing there was a chance it wouldn't work.

If there is anyone CONUS that needs a 410 belt kit, PM me and I'll send it to you.

ACML

• Like 1

Good information for those with the original 410 made in Japan by Sanyo. These have the aluminum carry handle (see photo). Unlike the more common Hong Kong 410 that has three belts, this version (with carry handle) only has two belts. One main drive belt for PLAY/FF/RWD and a counter belt. So there is bad news and good news. The bad news is that the 410 belt kit is for the Hong Kong 410s. The good news is that the play belt in Magic Knight's 410 kit (3 belts) is an adequate substitute and will work on this Japanese 410. None of the three belts in the kit will work as a replacement for the counter belt in this original 410 (Japan) if that one is broke or stretched out.

post-27335-0-47967400-1479528270_thumb.j

Before I ordered these, I pretty much assumed they'd be different as what are the odds that a Japanese Sanyo player would use the exact same belt as one from Hong Kong. Luckily one of them is close enough to serve as the PLAY/FF/RW belt. So, I just said that I'd "take one for the team" and give it a try. Unfortunately for me, once I fixed the belt, I discovered that one of the rubber friction wheels no longer makes sufficient contact on the other wheel for FF to work. There has been some information in other 410 belt threads that claims that the two 410s share the same belts and that is just not the case.

I wanted to thank Magic Knight for having these kits available as I ordered this with eyes wide open knowing there was a chance it wouldn't work.

If there is anyone CONUS that needs a 410 belt kit, PM me and I'll send it to you.

ACML

Thanks ACML for updating on the particulars on the oldest recorder for the Atari!

I think until now it's kinda been an urban myth about the mechanism in the Japan 410 and I'm thinking that unless it's a fairly unused, then the variable movements of the spindle/cogs etc make this a bit or miss on this particular model. Would be interesting in the legends if Atari changed tape player plant as these were not reliable or something, but I expect it was a cost thing (like the 1010). Looking forward, I will look to do tests on this model at some point when I can.

In the same spirit as you have shown and to say thanks, I've refunded your payment on this as I think you've added a good piece of information that has been unclear until now. I may source more suitable belts for the 410 Japan models for future but it will take a bit of time for research and of course checking.

Look forward to continuing this to its satisfactory conclusion!

Cheers, Magic knight

• Like 3

In the same spirit as you have shown and to say thanks, I've refunded your payment on this as I think you've added a good piece of information that has been unclear until now. I may source more suitable belts for the 410 Japan models for future but it will take a bit of time for research and of course checking.

Class act right there. If/when I come across my old 410 or get another tape player for my Atari, I'll be coming to you.

• Like 2

Installed the belt kit to fix my 410 today and it is working great. Also had to clean the read head, but now it loads every time.

Very cool. Although it makes me appreciate my floppy drives even more again.

Nice one, The read head needing cleaned is probably best done for every unit just comming back to life for soem years (in many cases).

Doing a Fast forward and rewind of a long loading tape is also helpful to bed in the belts and mechanisms again.

Nice one, The read head needing cleaned is probably best done for every unit just comming back to life for soem years (in many cases).

Doing a Fast forward and rewind of a long loading tape is also helpful to bed in the belts and mechanisms again.

Yes, that did seem to be the behavior. At first the right-side cassette wheel wasn't turning properly (like it was going in spurts) and the games would eventually get a boot error. That's when I decided to clean the head as well.

But to be honest, I was also doing a lot of fast forwarding and rewinding at that point too. So it may have just needed this bedding process you are referring to, because that's when the right-side wheel starting spinning consistently and after that every single cassette I have (about a dozen) loaded up without any issue.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just fitted both my 1010 and XC12 belts. 1010 is working great, but I'm not sure there isn't a bigger problem with my XC12 than the belt, as Rewind only works if I push down on the button REALLY hard!

Very pleased with the 1010 belt though, thanks!

The Rewind and Fast Forward buttons are unique in that they have to small metal plates/contacts that can get bent and be too far apart for the plastic inside to push them together to make contact, also, because of the microscopic arcing on the surface of the contacts, where contact is actually made, can get dirty with corrosion and carbon build-up from the arcing. The contacts themselves are copper, and they have a specific dimple in the metal where they connect, since it is so small, it can get dirty, quickly. I'm putting a complete tear-down, repair, replace, and put-back-together, post together for the standard model 410 drive which should be insightful for you. I'll have it up by later today. I have found a variety of information online concerning these tape drives, and since I needed to do this process with both of my 410's, I decided to make it educational for those who come across this thread looking for some "rubbers". :grin: And a fix for those seemingly "broken" drives. :)

• Like 1

That would be awesome, thanks! And great tip - I'll wait for your guide before I have a look at mine again.

Sorry for the delay, I took over 350 HQ pics, and I'm learning new video editing software. The guide will take 2 formats: a slide show featuring narration, and a text and pictures archive file for easy searching. The archive will be released after the video, as renaming pictures, and applying captions takes more time. But I wanted to give an update, and not leave you with a wink and a promise, since it's taking more time than I expected to compile. :waving:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I tried to install the belts which I bought a while ago , but I think the rubber disk which contacts the metal mile has a deterioration in shape.And also I could not plug the parts appropriately which I disassembled . Is there any one who can fix my 410 ?

• 1 month later...

The original eBay links don't seem to point to the items anymore - does anyone have 410 kits for sale these days? Just yesterday I picked up my fourth example along with an 800 I bought locally. Of course the motor seems to work fine but no motion of the spindles. I figure with four of these things now, I really ought to try to get one working again for old time's sake, seeing as I used one exclusively from about 1982 through late 1984. :)

​Thanks.

• 3 months later...

Hi

Got some more belts in:

http://my.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?MyEbayBeta&CurrentPage=MyeBayNextAllSelling&ssPageName=STRK%3AME%3ALNLK%3AMESX

Apologies if my selling pattern is inconsistant. I get stock every so often and then interest goes after several weeks. When i get enough interest again i put some up for sale. If i could keep this on ebay year round i would, but their listings costs kill this from happening.

Let me know if you have any questions or wish to get these direct from me.

Richard

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hey There,

If anyones interested, - Ive got a Stock of belts/kits available for - 1010 models (both Japan and Hong Kong), XC12, and also 410 kits on Ebay,

attachicon.gifIMG_0201-small.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_0204-small.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_0202-small.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_0203-small.jpg

Listings here

(UK) - http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/sandimas666/m.html?item=122297041305&hash=item1c7978c199%3Ag%3A6okAAOSwopRYa7n2&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

Outside UK - http://www.ebay.com/sch/sandimas666/m.html?item=122297041305&hash=item1c7978c199%3Ag%3A6okAAOSwopRYa7n2&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

Anyone who is interested, but doenst use/like ebay/evilbay , can get these direct from me alternatively. just pm me for details.

Those who have asked recently for these to be avialable, i have contacted (as promised) to notify as when these are (now) available,

cheers

Magic Knight

Ordered a spare for my XC12. Thanks!

• 1 month later...