IGNORED

ATARI Cassette belts now available -1010, 410, XC12

Magic Knight

I'd like to get one for 1010 HK

if you PM me i can give details on how to get these. Ebay fees are driving me up the wall and i list on there only now and then as demand goes up and down.

Ive plenty in stock though.

Richard

• 1 month later...

Hello Richard,

I'm new to the forum and looking to fix my HK 1010 cassette recorder.

I bought it recently but couldn't get it to load any games. Took it apart and it had an elastic band for drive belt. The counter belt is also very loose.

I was wondering if you still have belts available for this and if so, please could I buy a set?

I've also attached some pictures if that helps to identify the model.

Just out of interest, the smaller of the black wheels with the brass disc in the middle can be lifted out without any resistance. Is this normal? I can't see any way to secure it in place.
Hope you can offer some advice.
Geoff.

post-62928-0-94125400-1513897340_thumb.jpg

post-62928-0-80346700-1513897359_thumb.jpg

post-62928-0-67410500-1513897376_thumb.jpg

post-62928-0-73863100-1513897884_thumb.jpg

Edited by Geoff78

Hi Geoff

At the moment my atari peripherals are in storage so I cant confirm the wheel movements first hand.

In theory the belt should keep the tension on the spindles to avoid movement up/down (as long as the spindle isn't listing up down. I'm guessing the tension will help maintain it position. As there is no lock on top of the spindle. I'm sure this is intentional.

Anybody recently replacing this should be able to confirm or amend the above information.

Just out of interest, the smaller of the black wheels with the brass disc in the middle can be lifted out without any resistance. Is this normal? I can't see any way to secure it in place.

I had the same problem. The wheel should be held in place by a small nylon pinion on the far end of the shaft, see pictures here: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/203693-atari-1010-hong-kong-unit-help-not-belt/

Thanks for that info.

Well it looks like the pinion is missing on mine then.

What is the purpose of the pinion? does it actually do anything or just hold the pulley wheel in place? The reason I ask is because my cassette player works when its upside down - gravity holding pulley wheel in place.

Geoff.

The pinion is definitely an essential component although I can't remember exactly what it does. It is probably not missing from your machine, but detached inside the mechanism.

I think it may re-engage on the shaft when you put the wheel back, just tightly enough to transmit the drive, but not enough to hold the wheel in place when the machine is operating the right way up. I recall I could make mine work by pressing lightly on the centre of the rotating brass hub with a fingernail - which is maybe equivalent to the gravity effect you have noticed.

Only function left not explainable by the fine pictures

you supplied is the play/record take up reel function.

It would drive a slip mechanism that allows for a high

degree of slip while at the same time provide positive

but very light torque on the cassette spindle that

tape is wound up on as it played, the source spindle

just freewheels. It also has a part in driving the

counter when play/record are used. Large black gear is

doing the fast forward/advance and rewind functions.

While the counter is directly driven by the take up

spindle only.

Unfortunately it's a case of bad design choice in the

plastic used which will always fail by splitting in

the root of the faulty gear like this over large amounts

of time. As plastic ages it 'oozes' fabrication oils out

of the matrix which reduces it's overall dimensions. Due

to time it's now too small to fit on the axle without

splitting. One viable solution would be one made of brass

but the tolerances required to give the same press on,

friction only fit are well outside mass production

capabilities which means an artist must fit it by trial

and error taking a good deal of time and no small amount

of talent.

Clickspring on YouTube type of talents.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCworsKCR-Sx6R6-BnIjS2MA/videos

But several cut and filed from thin tin cans or

more flexible plastic could be stacked to the same

effect. It's not entirely hopeless, just almost

hopeless. The typical superglue fix attempted to fix

these types of failures almost always result in too

much glue applied which ruinates the device entirely

and thus can not be recommended. It also means you can

never take it apart again.

Same issue but a different application has this as a

solid solution that saves me easily $60 for each one of

these I can put in. The original is hard white plastic

as well and splitting in the exact same manner - go figure.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HVAC-Blend-Air-Door-Actuator-Gear-Rebuild-kit-fits-many-GM-vehicles-1990-2013/171384359235

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi Geoff

At the moment my atari peripherals are in storage so I cant confirm the wheel movements first hand.

In theory the belt should keep the tension on the spindles to avoid movement up/down (as long as the spindle isn't listing up down. I'm guessing the tension will help maintain it position. As there is no lock on top of the spindle. I'm sure this is intentional.

Anybody recently replacing this should be able to confirm or amend the above information.

Hi there! By any chance do you still have these available?

I am wondering if there are two different 1010 Hong Kong models?

The one pictured in this topic is quite different from what I am used to...

This is the one I have never seen (like the one in this topic):

Zlhcjin.jpg

And this is the Hong Kong model I know:

SviOrwA.jpg

Does anyone know more about these differences?

Edited by Fred_M

The one at the top is the bands i currently supply for. (flat belt instead of square type) which is also a 2 minute job to replace.....

- Im a little curious to the other one as it seems theres a variant for this which is causing some confusion of late. Wouldnt surprise me if its the same as the Japan version but until i find out more, its a little vague.

The current japan version is consistant in mechanisms it seems for the 1010 but a little tricky to replace. The HK model appears to have 2 versions.

If anyone has the second one on the photo above could they shed any light on this or send zoomed photos please. a photo of the label underside also may distinguish this also for future.

Edited by Magic Knight

My Hong Kong recorders are all like the second picture. I have never seen the version that needs flat belts. I can provide more shots if needed, but Nir already took a lot of pictures. I will post these here.

In my webshop I supply belts for the Japanese and Hong Kong 1010 recorders (mine are for the bottom one) too and they are a different size than the belts for the Japanese version.

pOcx19i.jpg

3d8YSRV.jpg

qnRO2kO.jpg

l3OXscS.jpg

dEsGZWp.jpg

I also have the 1010 field service manual, the 1010C pictured there is like the 1010 recorders I have. The version with the flat belts is not mentioned in the field service manual. My first thought was that the flat belt version was some kind of mod, but you supply belts for it and there are more pictures on the internet of the flat belt model. I think it is strange that this doesn't seem to be common knowledge ;)

CLawMru.jpg

Thanks Fred

Photos and details are excellent

If someone can send me an old 1010 HK belt (the non-flat version as above) - ill send them back free of charge - 3 belts of their choice from the 1010 series (Japan or Flat HK belt) or XC12. - or a 410 belt kit (Play/FF/rew) in return

Im looking into this and would like to see one for myself.

Please PM me if interested.

Edited by Magic Knight

Thanks Fred,

Photos and details are excellent

If someone can send me an old 1010 HK belt (the non-flat version as above) - ill send them back free of charge - 3 belts of their choice from the 1010 series (Japan or Flat HK belt) or XC12. - or a 410 belt kit (Play/FF/rew) in return

Im looking into this and would like to see one for myself.

Please PM me if interested.

I also have the 1010 field service manual, the 1010C pictured there is like the 1010 recorders I have. The version with the flat belts is not mentioned in the field service manual. My first thought was that the flat belt version was some kind of mod, but you supply belts for it and there are more pictures on the internet of the flat belt model. I think it is strange that this doesn't seem to be common knowledge ;)

CLawMru.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I just a got a 1010 HK. I opened and I saw what I was afraid of: belt "melted". Last time I tried to clean a melted rubber it was a big mess. Because you tried to get the belt and it just keeps spreading out like ink. Anyway, it is a flat belt, where I can get that belt if Magic Knight does not have them? Someone have measured it?

• 4 weeks later...

One other alternative option.... for $2.39 on aliexpress you can get 40 belts of assorted sizes. I repaired a 410 main function with belts from this, but the counter belt is smaller than the smallest belts included with this kit.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Shanghaimagicbox-Set-of-30-40-Small-Fine-Pulley-Belt-Engine-Drive-Belts-for-DIY-Toys-Module/32617853983.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.5e9a4c4dyI1yuh

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...