IGNORED

Graxx - room based action adventure in 8K ROM / 16K RAM

mindlord

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Pulse Check!

Real life has been nuts, but I have been working here and there when I have time.

As a little tease, here's a picture of the overland map from Graxx. This is most likely not final, but it gives a pretty good idea of the scope of the game. There's also an underworld map that is just as big. I feel like I can cram a lot into a 32K cart, and I can't wait to finish this project and share it with you fine people.

post-43109-0-08932300-1528933045_thumb.png

• Like 15

• 5 months later...

Still not dead yet. :P

I've been working slowly but steadily on this over the past several months. The basic engine is more or less complete. Monster AI, combat, and character progression are all in there. I have a few smaller features, the mini-bosses and final boss to add, but I have plenty of ROM left for those routines.

I've written a really small/tight music and sound effect engine which works (mostly) and will be portable to other projects that I'll release separately from the game. I'm pretty proud of how few bytes it needs. I had a lot to learn about sound programming on the TI not to mention music theory to make that happen. I still have to write the actual music for the game as well, which is not my area of expertise either, so I hope I can make some that doesn't sound awful.

A really weird VDP overwrite bug that's happening when you pick up and drop items that I haven't been able to pin down.

I was really hoping to have it done before Christmas, but these damn bugs and music/SFX engine have had me stumped for awhile now.

Here's hoping for a mid-winter or early spring release. :thumbsup:

• Like 7

I've written a really small/tight music and sound effect engine which works (mostly) and will be portable to other projects that I'll release separately from the game. I'm pretty proud of how few bytes it needs. I had a lot to learn about sound programming on the TI not to mention music theory to make that happen. I still have to write the actual music for the game as well, which is not my area of expertise either, so I hope I can make some that doesn't sound awful.

I would love to hear more about the design for your audio player. Do you do any compression of the audio bytes, or separate them into channels?

A really weird VDP overwrite bug that's happening when you pick up and drop items that I haven't been able to pin down.

In classic99's debugger, you can break on a write to an VDP address using the format ">V0000". When the breakpoint triggers, check the PC address to see where in the code the write is occurring, and press F1 to unpause and continue to the next write until your find the culprit.

My big "project" turned 10 years old this year..... and it's growth was stunted at the 7 year mark. :D

I need to revisit.......

Hey, don't feel bad. Next year is Super Space Acer's 30 year anniversary. It has been forecast that the completion of that game is one of the signs of the end times... ;)

• Like 5

• 5 months later...