IGNORED

Collecting Goals for 2017

I'm game this should be easy, hopefully I can be diligent about it as I was last year aside from some minor slipping up in to the Sega pool of the earlier 90s.

- Downsize (not necessarily just games)

- Play more

- Not watch a dust bunny farm flourish

- Dedicate a focus on 1 modern system, 1 retro (thinking Switch, Dreamcast)

- No longer be a multi-current generation system owner

- Don't skip a deal, but buy far less

- Remember to enjoy my handheld games

- Remember to use my Pin-Bot and MVS (Neo-Geo) more

- Due to a negative budget still (wife mostly out of work) keep selling what I have to get stuff, or finding random stuff locally to buy to sell at a profit to do so

That's about it. :)

• Like 1

One goal I did have was to once again downsize and I did that this past weekend. I gathered up some smaller, but never played parts of my collection and sold them locally. Gone are the N64 and its five games, the PS2 with about half a dozen PS2 as well as another half dozen PS1 games. Also gone are a Coleco Gemini, a couple of plug and plays, a couple of handheld LED games from the 80's, some extra joysticks and adapters for various systems. I then donated some big box PC games with no real value to a thrift store and sold another broken gemini and a Sega Master System to a local gamestore whose owner fixes these things.

Got rid of over two very large totes worth of items, still have the main parts of my collection, some money in my pocket and more room in the game room. Win/win.

• Like 1

Trying to get some of my grail games (mostly expensive SHMUPs, japanese arcade ports and so forth) without breaking my bank. I actually made pretty good headway into that last year, having scored decent copies of Radiant Silvergun and R-Type 3 for not too much. Pretty well set, console-wise, now that I have a shiny, nice TurboDuo, but might look into getting an XEGS one of these days. Maybe finishing off the 5200 library (I forget where I'm at, there... less than 20 games to go, certainly). I'm in striking distance of completing the US SEGA Master System library (about ten games left, but a couple of those are actually expensive ones), and that looms large on my horizon. I definitely need to get some more complete Vectrex games, but, even tho' I love the thing, I'm rarely sitting there saying "time to find complete Vectrx games."

Beyond that, just trying to score more fun games for less, you know? Plenty of great 2600, Coleco, Intellivsion, NES, Genesis, SNES and etc. games to go.

Trying to get some of my grail games (mostly expensive SHMUPs, japanese arcade ports and so forth) without breaking my bank. I actually made pretty good headway into that last year, having scored decent copies of Radiant Silvergun and R-Type 3 for not too much. Pretty well set, console-wise, now that I have a shiny, nice TurboDuo, but might look into getting an XEGS one of these days.

Well... the TurboDuo's stupid! You wasted your money! I'm not jealous! SHUT UP!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

5) Finally get one of the adult carts for the 2600

10) VIC-20 carts (especially Miner 2049er)

11) NES: Balloon Fight, Donkey Kong, Wild Gunman, Chiller

12) Flex--TBD as situations or inclinations arise. :-D

5) About a month ago I got not one, but two adult 2600 games: Bachelor Party and--*disgusted sigh*--Beat 'Em & Eat 'Em. :-D

10) Picked up a gaggle of VIC carts from my man Cvga, and also separately snagged a copy of my coveted Miner 2049er fairly cheap a couple weeks ago. :)

11) Grabbed a crisp loose+manual copy of Balloon Fight off Amazon with a birthday gift card.

12) Used the rest of that Amazon gift card to get a Super Mario Bros. Classic Mini keychain game (new). It was, like, nine dollars, so what the hell. :P

• 4 months later...

1) Downsize

2) Finish--or come closer to finishing--Atari silver label NTSC collection (loose): Quadrun, Gremlins, Crazy Climber, Gravitar, Obelix, Asterix(?...), Rubik's Cube

3) Finally get around to finishing off Atari text and picture label sets: Championship Soccer (text), Brain Games (pic)

4) Gunslinger picture label

5) Finally get one of the adult carts for the 2600

6) Atari Corp. alternate/error/unique carts: BASIC Programming, Black Jack, Concentration, Demons To Diamonds, Hangman, Missile Command ('85-'86 version), Othello, Space Invaders (gray w/ blue text end label)

7) XEGS gray carts

8 ) Atari 5200: HERO and Rescue on Fractalus

9) Atari 7800: Ace of Aces, Basketbrawl, Crack'ed, Double Dragon, F-18 Hornet, Fatal Run, Kung-Fu Master, Mat Mania, Mean 18, Motorpsycho, Ninja Golf, Pete Rose Baseball, Summer Games, Super Huey, Tank Command, Water Ski

10) VIC-20 carts (especially Miner 2049er)

11) NES: Balloon Fight, Donkey Kong, Wild Gunman, Chiller

12) Flex--TBD as situations or inclinations arise. :-D

Well, we're about six months in--thought it'd be fun to see how we're doing on our goals. :)

1) I'm far from finished downsizing, but I did just get rid of some long-dormant Sega Genesis stuff. Progress! :thumbsup:

6) I have gotten some more Atari Corp. reissue carts. Black Jack and Hangman were some of the last carts I expected to find at all--let alone within the Atari Corp. subcategory--but sure enough, luck was on my side. :)

12) I finally got my coveted Magnavox amber monitor. Locally even! I also chanced upon an Atari Corp. '86 Backgammon cart, which I hadn't been searching for specifically, but I noticed some subtle but distinct differences from the regular pic-label cart, and it was cheap so I grabbed it. Finally grabbed an Atari Heavy Sixer at MGC, and traded for a cool JiffyDOS-equipped Commodore 64 + 1541 drive. Oh, and best of all: five disks of games for the TRS-80 Model II. Yup. Several even appear to be unique to the system or have features unique to it!

My goals:

-Organize & display my games and consoles better

-Take an inventory of everything I have

-Try and sell off/trade some of the multiples I have

-Get my HTPC/MAME setup working 100%

-Try and find time to sit down and enjoy my collection

-Slow down on buying more games and play what I already have!

Roughly 6 months in...

-My game room is a disaster right now. I really need to clear it out and start over.

-Still need to take an inventory.

-Still haven't sold a damn thing. I need to get on that, though. I have to fund my other hobby: cars. I have a 1979 Trans Am that's been off the road since 2011, and I really miss driving that thing.

-I haven't turned on my HTPC in months. I got frustrated trying to get a decent emulator frontend running and shelved it for a while.

-When I do have time, I've been gravitating toward my Xbox One. GTA V has been my thing as of late. I have also been on an OG Xbox kick lately, and have been rediscovering some gems in my collection. I have a ton of unopened games (Psi-Ops, GunValkyrie, Syberia, and more) that I've been hesitant to open, but I've had a renewed interest in the big ol' box again, so I may need to crack them open soon or find loose copies to play.

-I have slowed down on buying games, well, physical ones. The Xbox and PlayStation stores are dangerous :lolblue: . I have had some physical pickups, but nothing major. Just filling some holes in the collection here and there. Most of the "heavy hitter" consoles I've wanted in the past few years are now in my possession (7800, Sega CD, XB1, Famicom) but I am still looking for a few more (32X, FDS, XEGS, Switch, 3DS, Odyssey II, Channel F, 8-bit PC's)

We'll see how the rest of the year goes!

<p>

I don't have a whole lot on this year's list. I did pretty well on last year's, but some of them may be on this year's, too.

• Build a shelf for the "display" part of my gaming collection. (Pac man glass, Pac man coffee mug, some cool looking plug-n-plays, boxes, Nuka Cola Quantum bottle...)
  • Get 2600 working and work on building game collection for it as well as get some working joysticks so I'm not stuck with using Genesis controllers (not that they are bad, but it'd be nice to have the option...)
  • Build N64 game collection a little (if I could find anything other than sports games in local stores) and either get a new controller or replace the joystick in mine (it's not bad, but it's a little loose).
  • Get some of the gaming books I've seen lately (Art of Atari, Pat Contri's NES Guidebook) and get them on the shelf from the first bullet point.
  • Either buy loose PS games and manuals to put in the empty cases I have, or sell the cases.
  • Maybe get into some MAME type emulation... Metal Jesus' video has got me looking into it again...
  • Get a little more serious about playing some of my games. Usually I'll just put one in and mess around with it to have some fun for a bit, but never really seem to try to complete them or practice to work on high score or anything. I want to finish some more Zelda games (I've only ever beaten one: Twilight Princess), get further in some of the shooters I have (R-Type, Raiden, Gates of Thunder, Fantasy Zone...), go back and beat some of the NES games that I beat back when I was in middle school (Castlevania, Metal Gear, 1943...)

Still no shelf.

2600 up and running, and several new games added.

No books yet.

Sold some of the cases.

Got quite a few systems and arcade machines successfully emulated. Using several different emulators tied together through Launch Box.

Finished some of the emulated games, but not any of the old cartridges. Finished/completed some newer games.

I feel like I'm wanting to finally make a real push at a Compumate computer adapter for the 2600 (NTSC). I've wanted one for my collection for years but always had more important things to do with the $80-100 they ran for.

Somebody talk me out of it before I add it to my list. :P :-D

I noticed this thread had gotten bumped up, and now that the year is just about halfway over I figured I'd post an update on how my goals from the beginning of the year were going. :)

1. Find and purchase a like-new condition black GameCube (I already have a Game Boy Player and start up disc for it).

2. Get EverDrives for my NES and Genesis.

3. Buy a beat up AGS-001 model GBA SP and install the front light from it in my Game Boy Color.

4. Only purchase games for the GameCube and Game Boy / Color / Advance in 2017.

1.Goal accomplished! I got this one taken care of in late January when I found a perfect mint condition black GameCube on eBay for $35 shipped. The system, controller, and cables all looked like they had never even been used, but I've been putting them to good use almost every week since they came into my possession.

2. Goal accomplished as well... and then promptly rescinded. I received my NES and Genesis EverDrives in the mail from Krikzz im early February and I don't think I even owned them for a week before I thought to myself "Why did I spend all this money on flash carts for systems that I only play a few times a year?", so off to eBay they went. My NES went to eBay along with them. I never liked that thing anyway.

3. This one I actually decided against, since early on in the year a couple people involved in the Game Boy modding community began working on developing a new backlit LCD screen for the Game Boy Color. If either of those projects pan out then they would be a much better solution for illuminating the GBC's screen than the blue tinted front light from a from a GBA SP, so I'm going to wait on modding my GBC for the time being to see if a proper backlit screen comes along for it at some point.

4. I *bleeped* this one up right quick, first by buying (and then quickly reselling once I changed my mind about wanting them) a bunch of Atari 7800 games and accessories in April then a whole slew of Wii games and accessories in June. I did keep and have been greatly enjoying the Wii stuff though. :)

As far as my goals for the rest of the year go I've only got one: Track down and buy a new in box regular sized black colored New 3DS, a carrying case for it, and six games to play on it. The games in question are Mario Kart 7, Resident Evil: Revelations, Star Fox 64 3D, The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time 3D, Poochy & Yoshi's Woolly World, and the upcoming Metroid: Samus Returns. If I can make space in my budget for a few more games I will, but those six are definite "must have"s for me.

Edited by Jin

I feel like I'm wanting to finally make a real push at a Compumate computer adapter for the 2600 (NTSC). I've wanted one for my collection for years but always had more important things to do with the $80-100 they ran for.

Somebody talk me out of it before I add it to my list. :P :-D

Neat collectors piece, but that's about it. I'd only recommend purchasing if your goal is to own every peripheral that ever came out for the VCS or just want to have another curious doo-dad to display (not use) in your collection.

Neat collectors piece, but that's about it. I'd only recommend purchasing if your goal is to own every peripheral that ever came out for the VCS or just want to have another curious doo-dad to display (not use) in your collection.

I mainly want one as a collector's piece, yeah. Though it could be fun to see if I could "port" stuff like some 1K ZX81 games or something. :-D

I'm game this should be easy, hopefully I can be diligent about it as I was last year aside from some minor slipping up in to the Sega pool of the earlier 90s.

- Downsize (not necessarily just games)

- Play more

- Not watch a dust bunny farm flourish

- Dedicate a focus on 1 modern system, 1 retro (thinking Switch, Dreamcast)

- No longer be a multi-current generation system owner

- Don't skip a deal, but buy far less

- Remember to enjoy my handheld games

- Remember to use my Pin-Bot and MVS (Neo-Geo) more

- Due to a negative budget still (wife mostly out of work) keep selling what I have to get stuff, or finding random stuff locally to buy to sell at a profit to do so

1. This is being done, but I did dumb stuff and bought systems too but correcting it now (selling off Dreamcast, potentially Wii too)

2. Done.

3. In progress.

4. I guess so, Switch (but using my PC too), and DC being sold but have the Wii

5. Technically done, PS4 games sold off, movie player now

6. Doing that, not buying as much

7. I am, even got the NGPC SD Kit to play more

8. I started using Pin-Bot again, tweaked it a bit too, got a few more MVS games and retired the sketchy multicart

9. Don't like it, but doing it, flipping and no really necessary games (toys, old electronics, etc.)

I wonder if it's a necessary step, building a collection to excess, and then paring it down later on into what you really really want? And the process can take years for most cases.

For a lot of people that certainly seems to be the case, myself included. My biggest problem though has always been not knowing what I really want. I'll be really enamored with a particular game system one week then be tired of it and wonder why I wasted money on it the next week. I've never been happy with my game collecting because I've never been able to make up my mind about what I want and what I don't want, and I'm starting to think I never will.

Maybe for U it is a simple case of having interest in many games. And U forget what you liked.

There's PC games I had in the 90's which I still have. And I haven't played them since. Think Rise of The Triad, Blake Stone, High Octane. And a hundred more. Someday I'm going to play them again. That is fact. Right now I have no interest aside from mentioning them here.

Your mind doesn't necessarily have to be made up does it? Can't the less interesting material be put on the back burner and come back to it later? Data centers do this all the time. More current stuff is up front on the fast drives. And least used data is off-line on tape backup.

My big goals were to finish my 7800 and Odyssey2 collections and I've done it. Beyond playing my games my only other aims are to try and fill out my Compile shooter collection a bit more, continue to grab 2600 games, get the remaining Wii and Wii U games I want, and get a Neo geo flash cart.

I wonder if it's a necessary step, building a collection to excess, and then paring it down later on into what you really really want? And the process can take years for most cases.

Yup that's where I'm at...years into peeling off the fat until my mind feels set that I'm not sitting on a pile of wasted cash and a dust bunny farm. I'm really fence sitting the Wii I got some months ago, haven't tipped on it yet like the DC I knew I should have left or flipped.

• Like 1

Agreed. I'll still make a list of goals for the year though...

- Spend more time playing games this year and regularly contribute to the "What have you played recently" thread

- Finish cataloging my games

- Fund my purchase of new items by selling some of my current games

- Dig up the code I wrote about 10 years ago and finish my game for the 2600

- Continued improvement to my game room

- Place more emphasis on my Commodore 64

Here's my mid-year review:

- I haven't spent more time playing games and have rarely contributed to the "What have you played thread" :(

- No additional cataloging has happened :(

- I did buy a bunch of C-64 stuff and funded it by selling the extras. Other than that, I've cut way down on purchases so I guess that's a :)

- I dug up the code but haven't done anything with it :|

- Not much change to the game room :(

- If I've emphasized anything more, It's been the C-64. At least we've played a bunch of Jumpman lol :)

Mid-year grade: C-

• 2 weeks later...

OK, mid-year check in time!

1-Get the Intellivision fixed or replaced.

Half-check! I've been fiddling with the innards of a few controllers, so I decided to open up the intellivision to see if I could adjust the RF unit & fix my screen flicker that way. Turns out I don't have the right tool. But when I put everything back together, it started working again! The picture's not great, and once it awhile it still flickers, but it's not gameplay impeding anymore. I'll still want to have someone give it a proper once-over, but I can push it back a bit now.

2- Find a good, big-ass surge protector. I'm talking 16-20 outlets with room for those big plugs like on the NES & such.

Check! At this point I can definitely endorse this guy right here- nice metal construction, wide spaced outlets (even the close spaced ones can accommodate NES-sized wall warts side by side), 6 feet of cord- it's a nice one.

3- Start saving to buy an Xbox One/Switch. Not necessarily buy them, mind you- just get the money together. That way, I can be prepared if a must-have game/deal comes along.

Double check! I have the cash for the Switch ready to go when I find one. I was just short on the Xbox when Prime Day hit- turns out those bundles saved enough for me to afford one anyway. Should have it by Friday!

4- Play Some Damn Games!

Check! Although, just barely- I've rolled credits on about one game a month. Of course, I think last year I only finished one or two, so it is an improvement!

Goals of Opportunity: these aren't high on the priority list, but if the chance lines up I'll take it:
- Get an original Game Boy (cheap- this is less for use & more for nostalgia)
- Get a Yurkievision (I can't really plan for this one because I don't own any Colecovision, so I don't know how much I'll need for the system and the mods.)
- Get Wii U games (I've got my must-haves already, but there's some good titles left to grab cheap if/when the prices bottom out.)

So I didn't get a Yurkievision, but I did get a Braddvision I'm happy with (plus it's a Canadian unit, so better power supply!) I've also picked up all but 2-3 Wii U games I was after. I still need Kirby Rainbow Curse & Yoshi's Wooly World. I'm on the fence about Tank! Tank! Tank! No cheap game boys, though.

Pipe Dreams: Unless I win the lottery these aren't likely to happen:
- Get a Vectrex
- Get a TurboDuo
- Get some Holy Grail games for my collection (looking at you, Keio Flying Squadron!)

The pipe dreams, unsurpsingly, remain pipe dreams.

While it would make sense to revise goals since I've hit most of them, I'm not gonna- the second half of the year gets a lot busier for me (PAX prep followed by Halloween projects followed by holiday work hours). I'd rather just focus in on #4 and keep on playin' some stuff! (Of course, I am gonna be thinking about if I want to push for a Vectrex or a TurboDuo for next year ;-) )