IGNORED

In depth look at MEXICAN INTELLIVISION VARIATIONS

Rev

12 hours ago, DZ-Jay said:

I get a kick out of reading these in Spanish.  Having always had the games in English (apparently it is cheaper to import from U.S. to Puerto Rico, than from Mexico, in spite of the language discrepancy), I find the names of things in Spanish weirdly surreal.

Language does not have much to do with import costs. Puerto Rico is a territory of the United States (and people who are born there are US citizens), so there is no barrier for importing (technically, not really importing, any way)

7 hours ago, nanochess said:

"Do" comes from portuguese. "De" would be the right word. But most probably the suggestion comes from a badly OCRed manual.

In my mind, I read the word as "zizagueantes," because that would be how I would pronounce the word in Spanish.  "Zigzageantes" seems wrong, since the word in English ends with a hard "g" sound.

dZ.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, BSRSteve said:

Language does not have much to do with import costs. Puerto Rico is a territory of the United States (and people who are born there are US citizens), so there is no barrier for importing (technically, not really importing, any way)

I was just being a smartass, of course.  :)

Then again, the language chosen for distribution by Mattel may not have anything to do with Puerto Rico being a territory of the USA, since we did get plenty of media translated to Spanish (from both Mexico and Spain), and even Hollywood movies were dubbed for television -- Spanish is the official and primary language in the Island.

My guess is that the language was not a concern at all, and that distribution to P.R. was treated like any other city in the USA.

Indeed, we did get plenty of goods directly from the mainland, and translation was typically an afterthought or not a thought at all.  Which is why I find it so surreal to read manuals for anything written in proper Spanish. :)

dZ.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...